Draw Shot Question
Old
  (#1)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Draw Shot Question - 11-08-2018, 08:56 AM

I was breaking some racks in my basement yesterday and had this shot. I wanted to go from the 1B to the 2B. The 5B was blocking the inside english route so I tried to hit it with a little low left. But I hit it too hard and ended up where the red CB is, just behind the 3B and 8B. Trust me when I say the 5B blocked the inside english route. And the 1B was only off the rail about an inch or so.

My question here is......to hit this ball with low left you really need to dig into the CB and put some OOMPH on it or else you wont get good results. If you want the CB to come back close to the starting point you need to really dig into it, hit it a little harder. I did, but apparently hit it way too hard and it went way too far and ended up where the red CB is now.

How do you guys handle this shot? Does it just require a finesse type low left stroke?

r/DCP

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/b6724.png

Playing Cue: Chad Carter Custom
Break Cue: Schon butt/Chad Carter shaft
Table: Gold Crown IV
Cloth: Simonis 860 English Green

Last edited by DrCue'sProtege; 11-08-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Old
  (#2)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCue'sProtege View Post
I was breaking some racks in my basement yesterday and had this shot. I wanted to go from the 1B to the 2B. The 7B was blocking the inside english route so I tried to hit it with a little low left. But I hit it too hard and ended up where the red CB is, just behind the 3B and 8B. Trust me when I say the 5B blocked the inside english route. And the 1B was only off the rail about an inch or so.

My question here is......to hit this ball with low left you really need to dig into the CB and put some OOMPH on it or else you wont get good results. If you want the CB to come back close to the starting point you need to really dig into it, hit it a little harder. I did, but apparently hit it way too hard and it went way too far and ended up where the red CB is now.

How do you guys handle this shot? Does it just require a finesse type low left stroke?

r/DCP

Based solely on the diagram i wouldn't use much left at all. Medium speed draw should put you on the 2ball. Maybe a tiny bit of left but not much. To get to that rd CB spot you must have really dug in with low left.

Old
  (#3)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-08-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
How do you guys handle this shot? Does it just require a finesse type low left stroke?]
Here's the diagram so we will have it even if the other site goes away:

Name:  CropperCapture[196].png
Views: 124
Size:  31.5 KB

I would not describe this as a finesse shot. You just have to hit it softer. Try more left than draw so that you are stunning off the object ball. That is more effective on some tables.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#4)
BilliardsAbout
Billiards.About.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

11-09-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
I was breaking some racks in my basement yesterday and had this shot. I wanted to go from the 1B to the 2B. The 5B was blocking the inside english route so I tried to hit it with a little low left. But I hit it too hard and ended up where the red CB is, just behind the 3B and 8B. Trust me when I say the 5B blocked the inside english route. And the 1B was only off the rail about an inch or so.

r/DCP

Stop Allocating Fruitless Energy.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#5)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

11-09-2018, 08:46 AM

I had a similar situation in a tournament. This is a tough shot because of the 1 being so close to the rail and you have to bring the cb back below the side pocket. If you don't use enough backspin, you're in danger of scratching in the side. But then there's the issue of too much speed with backspin.

In a way, this can be looked at as a type of finesse shot in that the solution I used was a modified kill stroke. I used lots of low left but with a modified kill stroke speed to allow some of the backspin to wear off before impact with the ob. The left spin brings it across the table and slightly down table towards the side pocket and the remaining backspin finishes the job bringing it below the side to avoid the scratch and control the speed.

This is what players call a feel shot. It's tough to measure. You can only feel it. You can't shoot this one with a tight grip.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Old
  (#6)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

11-09-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
I had a similar situation in a tournament. This is a tough shot because of the 1 being so close to the rail and you have to bring the cb back below the side pocket. If you don't use enough backspin, you're in danger of scratching in the side. But then there's the issue of too much speed with backspin.

In a way, this can be looked at as a type of finesse shot in that the solution I used was a modified kill stroke. I used lots of low left but with a modified kill stroke speed to allow some of the backspin to wear off before impact with the ob. The left spin brings it across the table and slightly down table towards the side pocket and the remaining backspin finishes the job bringing it below the side to avoid the scratch and control the speed.

This is what players call a feel shot. It's tough to measure. You can only feel it. You can't shoot this one with a tight grip.
this in bold.

Playng cue- Troy Downey
Back up cue - The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Still straighter than 90 % of all Meucci cues ever made
"Russian Magic Chalk- good enough to steal".

Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when I went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk, how strong is that?

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: