What glue will stick to nylon?

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend brought me a Hubler sneaky he had unscrewed the nylon insert out of the thread. He loves the cue just the way it was and the Nylon insert seems in really good shape for its age so when he asked me to glue it back in for him when I was replacing a couple tips for him I said I would try. I took the insert and a little piece of wood and tested some glues on the inside end of the insert. Devcon 5 Minute didn't stick, CA didn't stick, Burges contact cement didn't stick. So I throw my self on the mercy of the court what the hell sticks to nylon? Tomorrow I am going to pick up Devcon plastic steel and test that.

Edit: For thoes that are wondering the hydraulic lock of a tight fit and epoxy was the closest to sticking so far but after pulling the piece off the wood the epoxy easily scrapes away with little effort.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Loctite makes a primer meant to raise the fibers on hard to glue materials.
Conntact them and you will get the right product.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would suggest using a small 3 sided file to make some slots across the threads on both pieces. these will act as lock pins once they are full of cured glue.

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I ended up doing...

So the epoxy kinda stuck it just didn't feel permanent so what i did was cleaned the threads in the shaft with a tap and drilled the peaks of the threads lower to make room for glue. I applied devcon epoxy and screwed it in. The nylon insert was about a 1/4 inch longer than the pin. So I drilled a little hole across the shaft through the insert not quite all the way through the other side and glued a little wooden peg into the hole. Now even without the epoxy it is threaded in and can't unthread. My friend has his old beater back just like he remembered but with a new little dot. Loctite and my friend kimo said that Loctite 770 would do the trick. Loctite has really helpful customer service by the way. Also in my search i have discovered that if you ask gorilla glue questions on twitter they get back to you really fast.

IMG_20181115_194251_560_zps07vti6th.jpg

Last edited: