Predator 314 ferrule replacement

tangte

Registered
Hello,
I have a predator 314 shaft (1st gen) that I have been using for 13 years. The ferrule starts cracking and I am thinking about replacement. However, I can not seem to find this ferrule anywhere. Anybody know where I can still get these ferrules? Or can I pay someone to repair it? I live at Tallahassee, Florida.

Many thanks!

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
You could either send it to Seyberts, for replacement or try to find a Predator authorised repairman near you. There are several cuemakers here on AZB that can easily replace it too.

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,
I have a predator 314 shaft (1st gen) that I have been using for 13 years. The ferrule starts cracking and I am thinking about replacement. However, I can not seem to find this ferrule anywhere. Anybody know where I can still get these ferrules? Or can I pay someone to repair it? I live at Tallahassee, Florida.

Many thanks!

Contact Darcy @. Cue joe’s custom cues out of Canada,
He’ll be able to give you what you need, I’ll let him know as well,

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

Many thanks!

I believe the original ferrule material is called Isoplast. Send a pm to Dave38. He might have some left and be able to help you. Or send it to Predator, but I'm pretty sure thier replacement ferrule is going to be shorter and different material.

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I believe the original ferrule material is called Isoplast. Send a pm to Dave38. He might have some left and be able to help you. Or send it to Predator, but I'm pretty sure thier replacement ferrule is going to be shorter and different material.
I do have isoplast and that is the only material I use on the predator polymer style ferrules, but I don't think that was the original material on the first gen. I could be wrong. I have not seen isoplast crack yet.
To the original Poster, First, clean the ferrule with some rubbing alchol on a cloth and then inspect with the camera on your phone using the zoom function. Alot of times the 'cracks' we see are actually deep scratches with chalk dust and dirt in them which appears as a crack. If it is a crack, and If you are the original owner I would call Predator as it should be under warrentee, You will need proof of purchase usually. These ferrules are not plug and play, the specs are very tight on them and must be done right otherwise you will have a failure that may be a catastrophic one. Predator doesn't sell these ferrules, they only allow authorized repair people to have access to them.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do have isoplast and that is the only material I use on the predator polymer style ferrules, but I don't think that was the original material on the first gen. I could be wrong. I have not seen isoplast crack yet.
To the original Poster, First, clean the ferrule with some rubbing alchol on a cloth and then inspect with the camera on your phone using the zoom function. Alot of times the 'cracks' we see are actually deep scratches with chalk dust and dirt in them which appears as a crack. If it is a crack, and If you are the original owner I would call Predator as it should be under warrentee, You will need proof of purchase usually. These ferrules are not plug and play, the specs are very tight on them and must be done right otherwise you will have a failure that may be a catastrophic one. Predator doesn't sell these ferrules, they only allow authorized repair people to have access to them.

Thanks Dave
Now I'm curious how long they actually used Isoplast. I have seen cracked ferrules since they started. From the one inch long to 3/4" all the way down. Last time I called about a replacement ferrule that cracked that was 3/4" long, I was told to put the newer version but the shaft would be shorter.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience is that gen1 shafts holds up better and that they used another material, than on the first batches of gen2 wich used isoplast, in my experience, that's the ferrules that fail all the time.
I use isoplast on 314/1 and 2 repairs unless the customer asks for something special.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I was told, but not sure how true it is, that they used isoplast for a short time on them, had no issues and tried to buy the rights to it, and it was not possible so they went to another material. I have done some 'testing' like machine a ferrule to final size on a sample mockup pred. shaft and hit on the tip end with a hammer over and over and never had the ferrule crack, just the wood deformed and split. The stuff is pretty tough.
Dave

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

Many thanks!

Edited-deleted. Material may be different now.

Last edited:

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dave I sent you a message.