Replacing Slate Backing

atreyue

I have a Brunswick Bradford 9' table that had the slate stored in a garage for 2 years and the wood backing has gotten mold and needs to be replaced. Luckily, I do woodworking and can produce exact replacements, but I need some guidance on what wood and adhesive I should use and how I should go about removing the old wood. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Brunswick Bradford 9' table that had the slate stored in a garage for 2 years and the wood backing has gotten mold and needs to be replaced. Luckily, I do woodworking and can produce exact replacements, but I need some guidance on what wood and adhesive I should use and how I should go about removing the old wood. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I believe they were poplar on my Gold Crown.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a guy who replaced his with that white poly butcher's cutting-board material. He lives in a really humid area and he wanted it to be un-affected by moisture. Worked fine.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a guy who replaced his with that white poly butcher's cutting-board material. He lives in a really humid area and he wanted it to be un-affected by moisture. Worked fine.

Did he staple or glue his cloth?

atreyue

You can't just remove the mold with the proper cleaning solution?

Once mold gets into wood, it's nearly impossible to get out. Even though it's relatively easy to surface clean/treat, it is still spreading beneath. If I cleaned it and put the slate back on the table, the mold would just spread to the rest of the wood in the table.

atreyue

What I'm most nervous about is how to get the existing backing off without damaging the slate.

tyte619

Registered
What I'm most nervous about is how to get the existing backing off without damaging the slate.

I have thought about doing the same on a set of GC3 slates, and was considering using a router with a custom base plate that would make the base of the router sit at least as high as the thickness of the slate backing. Sorry if that doesn’t make any sense - I can try to elaborate if interested.