dirtiest shafts

fradrums

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Product...whats your best shaft cleaner and or cleaning system ?

best method of cleaning ?

without sanding

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
I use the shaft cleaner that Chris Hightower sells. Have also used the shaft cleaner from Unique but prefer Hightower's cleaner over Uniques.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
dirtiest shafts

In the lathe,I go over really dirty shafts with a Magic Eraser and some kind of household cleaner,like Awesome Orange,etc.

After that,I use a clean part of the Eraser,turn the lathe off,and go with the grain.

I wait a minute for the surface to dry,and inspect the surface,then move into light sanding,unless the customer says not to.

My own shafts NEVER get to the point where I can't use just denatured alcohol and the Eraser,600-1000 grit paper,then reseal and buff. Tommy D.

Scarwegian

Over the years I have found, if I take a soft white cotton cloth (*) and moisten with a little soapy water each shaft by wiping them down rigorously

(*). Be sure and use cotton only from the USA, as most cotton grown

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scarwegian

(Con't) then taking another clean piece of the same cloth, moistening and wiping the shafts clean of any residue left from the first soapy cloth. I then wipe the shafts down with a clean dry cotton cloth in a very fast deliberate stroke, resulting in a clean and smooth surface on each shaft.

(*) Cotton grown elsewhere around the world isn't cleaned as thoroughly as cotton from the USA, leaving minuet pieces of the husk, which tend to scratch the shaft surface.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

billiardbum

Listen U Might Learn!!!
Silver Member
In the lathe,I go over really dirty shafts with a Magic Eraser and some kind of household cleaner,like Awesome Orange,etc.

After that,I use a clean part of the Eraser,turn the lathe off,and go with the grain.

I wait a minute for the surface to dry,and inspect the surface,then move into light sanding,unless the customer says not to.

My own shafts NEVER get to the point where I can't use just denatured alcohol and the Eraser,600-1000 grit paper,then reseal and buff. Tommy D.
Eraser - Hmmmm New one... Is that filling the grain and removing grit at the same time, or did you make mistake and fixing them :)

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I don't have a lathe, so I clean w Magic Eraser, then follow up and polish w 2k,4k and 6k grit shaft paper.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I may be in the minority, but I believe a shaft is best once it has been saturated and burnished with hand oils & skin. I have had many players come to me for tips & such but were adamant that I stay away from cleaning or sanding or burnishing the shaft. I have tried several methods to replicate that smoothness but in the end it's table time that does it. That means pressing through the urge to clean the shaft, and simply wiping it down with a towel anytime it feels grabby. Eventually it will acquire a very smooth, protective patina. It'll be blue, but it'll feel awesome.