Break Stats -- 2019 U.S. Open 8-Ball Championship, August 2019

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are some aggregate statistics from the 2019 U.S. Open 8-Ball Championship played August 11-13 at Griff's Bar & Billiards in Las Vegas, Nevada. The promoter, CueSports International, provided pay-per-view streaming.

This was a 36-player, double-elimination event with all races to 8 except the final match (to 10). The winner was Skyler Woodward, defeating Chang Jung-Lin in the final match. The stats are for all 12 matches streamed by CSI; this represented 17% of the total of 70 matches played in the event.

The conditions for the streamed matches included:
- Diamond 9-foot table with pro-cut pockets;​
- Simonis 860-HR Tournament Blue cloth;​
- Cyclop Hyperion balls, including a red-spots-and-rectangles cue ball;​
- triangle rack;​
- rack your own, with no inspection by the opponent;​
- alternate breaks from anywhere behind the head string;​
- table open after the break;​
- ball in hand anywhere on the table after a foul on the break;​
- for an 8-ball made on the break, it is breaker's choice to spot the 8-ball and continue shooting or to re-break..​
- call shots;​
- jump cues allowed;​
- foul on all balls;​
- no shot clock unless deemed necessary by the director; and​
- lag for opening break.​

The 12 matches (152 games) streamed and tracked were as follows, shown in the order in which they were played.

Sunday, August 11, 2019
1. James Aranas defeated Billy Thorpe 8-3​
2. Tyler Styer d. Darren Appleton 8-2​
3. Skyler Woodward d. Marco Teutscher 8-1​
4. Thorsten Hohmann d. James Aranas 8-7​

Monday, August 12
5. Shane Van Boening d. Dennis Hatch 8-2​
6. Woodward d. Max Eberle 8-3​
7. Woodward d. Corey Deuel 8-7​
8. Chang Jung-Lin d. Styer 8-7​

Tuesday, August 13
9. Woodward d. Chang 8-6 (Hotseat match)​
10. Styer d. John Morra 8-5 (loser 4th)​
11. Chang d. Styer 8-4 (Semifinal)​
12. Woodward d. Chang 10-7 (Final)​

Overall results
Successful breaks (made at least one ball and did not foul) -- 72% (54 of 75) for match winners, 55% (42 of 77) for match losers, and 63% (96 of 152) in total​
Breaker won the game -- 69% (52 of 75) for match winners, 40% (31 of 77) for match losers, and 55% (83 of 152) in total​
Break-and-run games on all breaks -- 59% (44 of 75) for match winners, 27% (21 of 77) for match losers, and 43% (65 of 152) in total​
Break-and-run games on successful breaks -- 81% (44 of 54) for match winners, 50% (21 of 42) for match losers, and 68% (65 of 96) in total​

Here's a breakdown of the 152 games (for match winners and losers combined).

Breaker made at least one ball and did not foul:
Breaker won the game: 70 (46% of the 152 games)​
Breaker lost the game: 26 (17%)​

Breaker fouled on the break:
Breaker won the game: 1 (1%)​
Breaker lost the game: 8 (5%)​

Breaker broke dry (without fouling):
Breaker won the game: 12 (8%)​
Breaker lost the game: 35 (23%)​

Therefore, whereas the breaker won 55% (83 of 152) of all games,
• He won 73% (70 of 96) of the games in which he made at least one ball on the break and did not foul.​
• He won 11% (1 of 9) of the games in which he fouled on the break.​
• He won 26% (12 of 47) of the games in which he broke dry but did not foul.​
• He won 23% (13 of 56) of the games in which he either fouled on the break or broke dry without fouling.​

Break-and-run games -- The 65 break-and-run games represented 43% of all 152 games, 78% of the 83 games won by the breaker, and 68% of the 96 games in which the break was successful (made a ball and didn't foul).

With alternating breaks, B&R "packages" of the normal type are not possible. But we can still look at the breaks of a given player and see how many he ran on his own successive breaks, and we can call these "alternate-break packages." The 65 break-and-run games consisted of 1 alternate-break 5-pack (by Woodward against Teutscher), 6 alternate break 4-packs (2 by Woodward and 1 each by Aranas, Chang, Styer, and Van Boening), 1 alternate-break 3-pack, 5 alternate-break 2-packs, and 23 singles.

8-Balls on the break -- One 8-ball was made on the break (0.7% of all 152 breaks); it was spotted.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Miscellany from the data for the 2019 U.S. Open 8-Ball Championship:
[This relates only to the 12 streamed matches, not to all matches in the event.]

• The most balls made on a single break was 5, done just once (by Morra, who lost that game).

• The average number of balls made on the break was 1.2 (this includes dry and fouled breaks). On successful breaks (made at least one ball and did not foul), the average was 1.7.

• 83% (126 of 152) of the games ended in one inning – 43% (65) won by the breaker (B&R) and 40% (61) won by the non-breaker. Just 3 of the 152 games (2.0%) lasted more than 2 innings (4 visits).

• 70% (106 of 152) of the games were run out by the player who was at the table following the break. These run-outs were:
- By the breaker after successful breaks (B&R games) – 68% (65 of 96)​
- By the non-breaker after fouls on the break – 89% (8 of 9)​
- By the non-breaker after dry breaks – 70% (33 of 47)​

• The player who made the first ball after the break:
- Won the game in that same inning 76% of the time (115 of 152)​
- Won the game in a later inning 5% of the time (7 of 152)​
- Lost the game 20% of the time (30 of 152)​

• The loser won an average of 4.3 games in the 11 races to 8. Three matches went to hill/hill; the most lopsided match was 8-1.

• The average elapsed time for the 11 races to 8 was about 82 minutes, or 6.7 minutes per game. The elapsed time was measured from the lag until the winning ball was made (or conceded), so it includes time for racking and timeouts.

• The match that was both longest in elapsed time, at 149 minutes, and highest in average minutes per game, at 9.9, was Chang d. Styer 8-7.

• The match that was both shortest in elapsed time, at 44 minutes, and lowest in average minutes per game, at 4.9, was Woodward d. Teutscher 8-1.

• Breaking fouls averaged 1 for every 16.9 games, other fouls 1 for every 15.2 games, and missed shots about 1 for every 3.1 games.

• About 7% of the games involved one or more safeties.

Last edited:

Gum9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to track these statistics throughout the c9urse of the 12 matches. I got to commentate these matches for CSI and know just how hard you must have worked to get these in order.
Thank you,

George

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m astonished by your diligence. It is great to see these stats. How do you find the time?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to track these statistics throughout the c9urse of the 12 matches. I got to commentate these matches for CSI and know just how hard you must have worked to get these in order.
Thank you,

George

Thanks, George; it's nice to put a picture with a voice!

Here's similar info for the preceding US Open 10-Ball event -- https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=498007

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I only saw three matches.....everybody was breaking to the head ball.
...was the second ball break allowed?

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm pretty sure it was. I saw Deuel use it a few times against Woodward. One attempt resulted in terrible spread that looked like a one pocket layout, and Deuel still managed to run out.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I'm pretty sure it was. I saw Deuel use it a few times against Woodward. One attempt resulted in terrible spread that looked like a one pocket layout, and Deuel still managed to run out.

Right; I think Deuel broke into the 2nd ball all but once against Woodward. Eberle may have tried it once, also.