edge sander

fugdbdt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im thinking about getting a grizzly edge sander next month. Ive never had
anything other than a small table belt sander. Its has worked allright for veneering and so forth but it will not square pieces.

There's been alot of discussion about drum sanders lately. Which would be
the most useful tool for cue building? That is for squareing pieces or a full splice or just cleanup after glueing pieces etc. Just all around.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im thinking about getting a grizzly edge sander next month. Ive never had
anything other than a small table belt sander. Its has worked allright for veneering and so forth but it will not square pieces.

There's been alot of discussion about drum sanders lately. Which would be
the most useful tool for cue building? That is for squareing pieces or a full splice or just cleanup after glueing pieces etc. Just all around.

As in any tool run by power, there are certain precautions you should take, Be care and safe, edge sanders will get the job done, I have friends who swear by them because they are afraid of jointers. I don't have a drum sander or a planer because I don't think they actually make perfect 90's for point work, At least that's what the experts say. but I love my Jet jointer.

fugdbdt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My jointer was not a high end tool and maybe that was the bulk of my problem. I could square things better with my table saw. Jointers do however keep the dust down. Even with the 4'' collector, you would have to know that the edge sander will stir up some major dust. But so far it
seems to be my best option.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My jointer was not a high end tool and maybe that was the bulk of my problem. I could square things better with my table saw. Jointers do however keep the dust down. Even with the 4'' collector, you would have to know that the edge sander will stir up some major dust. But so far it
seems to be my best option.

If the jointer has a cast iron bed, your only problem may be just getting the blades set correctly, If the bed is aluminum, trash it, those beds warp. For blade alignment, get this:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003200/2681/Oneway-Multi-Gauge.aspx
It's the nuts for blade alignment, without it, your just guessing and we do that enough sometimes.
To make sure the plate is square with the bed, use a good square.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000437/868/STARRETT-6-Combination-Square.aspx
It doesn't have to be one that cost this much as long as it's of good quality. I like Starrett.

Last edited:

DD Custom Cues

Cues by Drew
Silver Member
I currently use a joiner but I will be looking to buy an edge sander sometime in the future. The joiner if set up properly does a great job but with certain types of woods you tend to get tear out with it even if you use new sharp blades. But from what I here of the edge sanders once you square them up properly they do just as good a job but with no tear out. It would be nice if somebody that uses edge sanders would chime in and let us know what is the best type to get.

fugdbdt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I currently use a joiner but I will be looking to buy an edge sander sometime in the future. The joiner if set up properly does a great job but with certain types of woods you tend to get tear out with it even if you use new sharp blades. But from what I here of the edge sanders once you square them up properly they do just as good a job but with no tear out. It would be nice if somebody that uses edge sanders would chime in and let us know what is the best type to get.

That's what i was hopeing for. Here is a pic of Mr Hill's edge sander.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=210048

Hopefully he will comment.