Good variant on the 9 ball ghost

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
This is basically playing the ghost, but it lets you track data easier and can (should) be played with 2 players. It also takes into accout the ability to play well after your opponent comes to the table and the ability to assess risk.

Decide who goes first either by lagging or coinflip or whatever. You and your opponent should alternate turns for 10 racks each.

After each break, you have the option to run out the rack as is or take ball in hand and run out. A run out from either counts as 1 point, but break and runs can seperate ties (and give bragging rights). Misses, scratches, and scratches on the break are all 0 and it becomes your opponent's turn. Early combos on the 9 are okay, but the 9 spots up and you must continue the rack from there.

For data collection purposes, you can mark down the reason for losing i.e. M = missed shot, P = missed position (and subsequent miss of an uninteded difficult shot), B = scratch on the break, S = scratch, etc.

After 10 racks each, count your score, whoever has the most points wins (multiply score by 10 to get the percentage). If there is a tie, whomever has the most break and runs wins.

If you really want to track your progress, you should keep a notebook on each set played. A well known pro in my area has a notebook of over 10,000 racks against various players including top pros.

According to him, the skill ratings over the long run are roughly as follows;

Top pro ~80%
lower level pro ~70%
Strong A/shortstop ~50-60%
A ~30-40%
B ~10-20%
C <10%

These numbers are slightly lower than the standard ghost for a few reasons. The main reason is that its more difficult to get into a good rhythm (which is a better simulation for actual game play), the incentive to go for a break and run, combos not counting as a win, and the added pressure of having an opponent to keep up with.

This game is very easy to handicap by adding to the score of the lower player or havin the weaker player play a lower level ghost (or the stronger player a stronger ghost) and is fun if you have 2 players that both want to improve, but are vastly different skill levels.

Its very helpful in telling you what you need to improve on if you keep track of the reason for your miss.

It also helps if the stronger player gives advice to the weaker player after a miss or if he has a question.

Try it out and tell me what you think. My first try a few days ago against the formerly mentioned pro was a dismal 30% (two 3s), but I think I probably wasted a few racks each set by trying to go for break and runs when I shouldn't have. Once I get used to it, I am sure my average will be better.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
I used to give myself a point for parking the cueball on the break. Might be a good idea to incorporate that in your scoring system.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I used to give myself a point for parking the cueball on the break. Might be a good idea to incorporate that in your scoring system.

Maybe it would be good to mark it along with the other information. I probably should, I have neglected practicing my break for years.