Huebler insert

jus4funbilliard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want a shaft made for my Huebler break cue, Purple Heart. Do I have to have insert made if I want nylon ? Or can you buy them? Maker is newer at this and advises against it. Thanks

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I want a shaft made for my Huebler break cue, Purple Heart. Do I have to have insert made if I want nylon ? Or can you buy them? Maker is newer at this and advises against it. Thanks

You want a nylon insert and that's fine, you want what you want.
Just for the sake of asking, don't you wonder why no one else uses it ?
Your 'newer at this' cuemaker is giving you good advice.

jus4funbilliard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Insert

I get what you guys are saying, I know it's in my head ,I've been shooting with Hueblers for a long time and the feel of cues with brass insert isn't there. Current shooting cue is big pin with predator shaft, have predator shaft for Huebler with brass insert can't stand it.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Get a hold of poolcrazy or Ryan at Mueller's for the inserts.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get what you guys are saying, I know it's in my head ,I've been shooting with Hueblers for a long time and the feel of cues with brass insert isn't there. Current shooting cue is big pin with predator shaft, have predator shaft for Huebler with brass insert can't stand it.

It's not just in your head and your not the only one who feels this way. Heubler joint screws that I've seen are smaller than a full 5/16. .302 to .304. For this reason I use a .302x18 tap on the nylon. Tell your maker.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You want a nylon insert and that's fine, you want what you want.
Just for the sake of asking, don't you wonder why no one else uses it ?
Your 'newer at this' cuemaker is giving you good advice.

Momentary hi-jack alert...

Do you know what kind of miracle adhesive they use to get the nylon to sticky itself
to wood?

Don't you dare tell me to look it up:)

Dale(who thinks it is not epoxy)

Resume

sileighty_guru

5A Grade Wood Pecker
Silver Member
Kyle beat me to looking for the inserts!

As for the Nylon... Yes I did mention that there are better techniques, including the phenolic. But I have never pushed someone from what they want! Kyle is partial to the nylon insert so that is what he will get. I did however try to push him to letting me make custom ones which would include some mechanical holding capabilities to aid in the adhesion issues with nylon to wood. But seeing how partial he is to the original design that is what he will get. :thumbup: He has managed to scout a supply of them even before I got a chance to try!

Kyle as for the predator we can swap out the inserts if your really against the brass?

As for adhesion I am testing 2 types (West & Apollo 2025) with roughing and a little prep I don't see any issue with either. However I am leaning towards 2025 due to its faster set time and 24 hour cure time, West might pull into the wood to much for my liking on this? I'll know more once I cut into my test peices and give them a tugging of war match with my double ended pin (please no dirty mind comments needed) :D

I am however unaware of the inserts specs that he will be getting, so I can't comment on the machining techniques yet....

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Kyle beat me to looking for the inserts!

As for the Nylon... Yes I did mention that there are better techniques, including the phenolic. But I have never pushed someone from what they want! Kyle is partial to the nylon insert so that is what he will get. I did however try to push him to letting me make custom ones which would include some mechanical holding capabilities to aid in the adhesion issues with nylon to wood. But seeing how partial he is to the original design that is what he will get. :thumbup: He has managed to scout a supply of them even before I got a chance to try!

Kyle as for the predator we can swap out the inserts if your really against the brass?

As for adhesion I am testing 2 types (West & Apollo 2025) with roughing and a little prep I don't see any issue with either. However I am leaning towards 2025 due to its faster set time and 24 hour cure time, West might pull into the wood to much for my liking on this? I'll know more once I cut into my test peices and give them a tugging of war match with my double ended pin (please no dirty mind comments needed) :D

I am however unaware of the inserts specs that he will be getting, so I can't comment on the machining techniques yet....
Epoxy doesn't matter as much as mechanical bond.
Try 1/2 13 tpi with a shoulder ( about 1/ 4"' unthreaded on top ).
Any slow set eopxy will do.
Nylon will cross threax easily though.
I'd refuse to use it unless it's kevlar.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Lol, brass doesn't have the 'feel' for a break cue. Brass or phenolic will hold up to breaking better.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mr Webb predator shaft I bought for one of my Hueblers just doesn't feel right, back to my Zinzola.

You can't go wrong there.
The insert on your predator can easilly be changed. I tell people to treat Heublers like a wood threaded joint. Backwards first...seat the thread. You'll have no trouble. Mr. Heubler was a very gifted Cue maker. Instead of condemning his methods, I respected them.

stevel

Lomax Custom Cues
Silver Member
I have some black nylon inserts that are threaded on the outside and ready to go into a shaft that can be bored and tapped or drilled and tapped for any size pin.