APA 8 ball league fees

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
It is my understanding that bars are not suppose to be paying any fees related to the APA whether it is annual dues or nightly fees.

I played at on place that did that, but I know it was frowned upon by the main office.

Why in heavens name would they APA have any problem with the bar paying the annual fee's or nightly dues for their "players". I've played in a bar like that before that paid annual dues....and they did it so the teams would play there.. cheap customer service to keep some heavy drinking and hungry pool players running up the tab a few nights a week.

Again, it's not like the APA would even know anyways... If my wife pays, or my bartender does, either way APA gets paid ;)

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here in Bangor, Maine, the five people who play in our APA league night pay $9 each. Tables are all open, all night, so practice time is available as well, play as much as you want (taking turns of course).

Our LO does a cash payout at the end of each session, for each division, 1st thru 4th place, so that's where some of the extra money goes.

I'd be curious to hear how many teams are in each division, how many weeks were in the season, and what the payouts were to the top 4 teams.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tap, tap, tap! Well said bad_hit! :thumbup: Play...or don't play. It's your choice! 25 years ago I charged my players $25 a week, or $30 a week for the payback leagues. I know that in Dallas Randyg pays $15 per player ($75/team) , a week for his league play (not APA). Nobody complains. Everybody plays.

Scott Lee ~ also a former APA league operator
http://poolknowledge.com

$75?!?!?!? I hope there is a happy ending with that.:wink:

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why in heavens name would they APA have any problem with the bar paying the annual fee's or nightly dues for their "players". I've played in a bar like that before that paid annual dues....and they did it so the teams would play there.. cheap customer service to keep some heavy drinking and hungry pool players running up the tab a few nights a week.

Again, it's not like the APA would even know anyways... If my wife pays, or my bartender does, either way APA gets paid ;)

It didn't make sense to me either, it was just something that a person from the office said to me.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Here in Bangor, Maine, the five people who play in our APA league night pay $9 each. Tables are all open, all night, so practice time is available as well, play as much as you want (taking turns of course).

Our LO does a cash payout at the end of each session, for each division, 1st thru 4th place, so that's where some of the extra money goes.

So this brings up an additional question. At the end of the session for session playoffs, who are the playoff teams if the first 4 are paid? Are the first 4 the playoff teams or 1-3 and a wild card and is drawn? Is the 4th place team considered the wildcard? Here 1-3 are playoff teams and the 4th team (the wild card team) is drawn by a random method and by random I really do mean random. A card is drawn from a hat or a ping pong ball or some other sort of thing. I heard that our LO likes to make it fun, her dog will choose to eat from a numbered bowl or pick a numbered bone, someone unassociated might be asked to select a card or pick a number, it's always a little different.

jus4funbilliard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Bangor ME , 1-3 with a drawn wild card. And if your lucky enough to get to Vegas two rooms for eight players with a fifty dollar per person food allowance for the week.

AceAngeles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Japan

Consider yourselves lucky, the cost varies from 1600-1800 yen ($15-$17) per person over here in Japanese branch of the APA.

Everything is a lot more expensive in Japan from a beer to cost of parking. I'm sure if they had an APA in South American it would be $1-$3 a person. It's just strange in the U.S. it can apparently range from $5-$11 or more. I'm surprised there are so many "former" APA league operators defending their position?

AceAngeles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bergen county NJ APA was $35 for 8-ball, $40 for 9-ball, and $35 to the house for green fees, for a total of $110. I used to collect $11 for each match played, so if my teammate play both then it was $22.

So basically $11 per person including table fees. Not that bad I guess. In Rockland county (also within $40 miles of NYC) they pay $11 plus table fees. Different league operator. I think $100 miles farther away from NYC (same LO) also paying $11 plus table.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
FWIW, when I played APA I noticed some of the local bars and poolhalls 'sponsor' an APA home team. Usual incentive is no green fees/dues when matches are scheduled in the host room, as opposed elsewhere.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We play an in house league on 9 ft Diamonds. We play 10 matches-5 8 ball and 5 9ball. It is 8.00 a match, so, if you play in both, 16.00 + 35.00 yearly membership.

Bankshot in Louisville, Ky.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I'd be curious to hear how many teams are in each division, how many weeks were in the season, and what the payouts were to the top 4 teams.

Right now we have 16 teams in the 8-ball division (likely to increase next session, requiring the division to be split into two divisions). 10 teams in the 9-ball division.

Payouts are larger, the more teams play in a given session. I don't recall the specifics, but the last time I was in the playoffs with 14 teams the winning team split just over $1000. Second place about half that, 3rd and 4th appropriately lower amounts.

Paid out to the four teams in the session playoffs, 1st thru 3rd place during the session plus the wild card, based on their playoff finishes.

Our LO pays out like that in all of his divisions, which numbers between 10-15 depending on the session, both 8-ball and 9-ball.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything is a lot more expensive in Japan from a beer to cost of parking. I'm sure if they had an APA in South American it would be $1-$3 a person. It's just strange in the U.S. it can apparently range from $5-$11 or more. I'm surprised there are so many "former" APA league operators defending their position?

Do you really consider 2 out of 20 posters that are former lo's a huge number ?

As I stated before...ours are 6.00 or 7.00 depending on which division and format. Oh yea...i forgot masters which is 9.00.

As for your statement of variances of fees for rom one area to another...i dont see the big deal. Each one I independently owned . Heck I can tell you about gas prices in my area that varies 10 cent a gallon which are owned by the same grab his.'splain that one.

I realm dont think its out if min compared to other leagues either so I realm dont see the problem here.

TCIndepMo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Kansas City, Jackson County area six dollars per player ($30 for team) per week and players split the quarters. Although the individual match fee might be going up in next few sessions. Up to new LO to decide.

Some HL owners pay annual memberships of players, plus t-shirts and house rounds at their discretion. APA just asks that they do the same for all of their players, not just the favorites.

As this thread has shown fees in each area up to each LO to decide. But readers of thread should also consider the payback to players is also up to each LO. Plane tickets to Vegas (plus hotel, etc) are more expensive from East coast cities than from Midwest. I suspect those areas that collect $40-50 per team each week pay back more Tri Annual and Vegas expense money than areas that collect $25-30 per week.

Even paybacks from three APA areas in greater Kansas City area will vary greatly from year to year. Apples and oranges kind of situation.

BTW - I also used to be an APA league operator. Retirement is a good thing.

AceAngeles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Discrepancy

As for your statement of variances of fees for one area to another...i dont see the big deal. Each one I independently owned . Heck I can tell you about gas prices in my area that varies 10 cent a gallon which are owned by the same grab his.'splain that one.

Do the math. At $2.00 a gallon, 10 cents difference is only 5%. League Operators charging from $5-$11 is 120% difference!!! It's just too much of a discrepancy, considering when you get to the regional or National level everyone gets the same amount of price money. You'd think the main office of APA would set guidelines for fees. Anyway it's just an opinion.

AceAngeles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Kansas City, Jackson County area six dollars per player ($30 for team) per week and players split the quarters. Although the individual match fee might be going up in next few sessions. Up to new LO to decide

As this thread has shown fees in each area up to each LO to decide. But readers of thread should also consider the payback to players is also up to each LO. Plane tickets to Vegas (plus hotel, etc) are more expensive from East coast cities than from Midwest. I suspect those areas that collect $40-50 per team each week pay back more Tri Annual and Vegas expense money than areas that collect $25-30 per week.

Even paybacks from three APA areas in greater Kansas City area will vary greatly from year to year. Apples and oranges kind of situation.

BTW - I also used to be an APA league operator. Retirement is a good thing.

It makes sense, payouts, plane tickets etc... but there is still a big difference in charges within the same area. Many leagues in the more expensive areas are losing teams. Leagues with 4, 5, 6, 7 teams only. Some used to have 12-16 teams. It happens mostly because of the increased nightly fees, especially if you play more than one night a week. I'm sure if a poll was taken, players would rather pay half the amount and get minimal or less payouts than be in a position of not being able to afford to play in a league more than once a week.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
$22 if you play both 8-ball & 9-ball (double jeopardy). At end of the night, $35 ($7 a person) goes into the 8-ball envelope, $40 ($8 a person) goes into 9-ball, and $35 goes to the house for green fees.

FWIW, I find in-house leagues usually offer a better deal than franchise leagues. At Amsterdam Billiards in NYC, Team 8-ball is $16, standard format is either race to 2 in 8-ball & race to 3 in 9-ball or race to 3 in 8-ball, and a race to 4 in 9-ball depending on your handicap.

Maybe it's not the case elsewhere, but here in NYC I feel that I have plenty of league choices ranging from 8-ball, Team 9-ball, Individual 9-ball, 14.1, & Scotch Doubles.

So basically $11 per person including table fees. Not that bad I guess. In Rockland county (also within $40 miles of NYC) they pay $11 plus table fees. Different league operator. I think $100 miles farther away from NYC (same LO) also paying $11 plus table.