how are ya'll doing in league ?

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty disappointing week. I have been drinking way too much before my league matches and that usually leads to a poor performance.

Monday I played NAPA 10 ball. Race was 7-5 and I lost 1-5. Just couldn't finish off a game and he kept cleaning up what was left.

Tuesday I played NAPA 8 ball. Race was 6-4 and I lost 2-4. He got a couple lucky rolls but I didn't get out when I was supposed to. I kept trying for some tough breakouts that I shouldn't have.

For lower ranked 8 ball players. You will win lots more games if you stay out of "One ball hell." This refers to only having one ball left on the table when you aren't able to run out. This puts the game hugely in your opponents favor if they have multiple balls to play safe with or block a pocket for your last ball. keep more of your balls in play if you don't have the opportunity to run out. 8 ball is more about forcing your opponent to make mistakes and then capitalizing on those mistakes.

One of my favorite quotes by Oscar Dominguez is: Most games are not won. They are lost. That was definitely true this week.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had little smack talk going on last night between me and the opposing captain of a team I used to play on.

Back story first if you dont mind. 3 years ago my Sunday night double jeapordy was in the ltc finals in both 8 and 9 ball. My team lost 8 ball and we won 9 ball. This guy captained both of those teams on different nights. Not sure but I think he has 6 teams total. Anyway every time this captain saw me he asked me to join one of his teams.

This went on for 2 years....every time my Tue night team faced him....every tri cup or ltc when he saw me he would ask me. During this time my Tue night team was going through some drastic changes. Our captain left and I was asked to become captain but declined. We made this other guy who was a likeable fellow but only a s/l 3 be captain.....bad mistake. Could not match people up worth crap....got new players who played worse than he did. He would up getting this new girl who was a 2 to be co captain. Now I am a happy go lucky ....dont care for any drama and tries to get along with every one type of guy.

However......i just did not like this girl. The only person who I have ever met that grated on my nerves from day one but I kept my mouth shut ...showed up and played my matches then left.

One day I look up on the web to see who we play that night. Dont see my teams name...wait a minute ...wtf is this ? Oh hell no . I txt my team captain and ask...wth ? Why is our team name changed from assasins to snow white and the 7 dorks ? He said the co captain thought since we had a new team we oughta have a new name. I said ...you did not ask any body before you changed it ? He said she was supposed to have okayed it with everyone the previous week. I said ...well she did not ask me and I ain't playing on a team called snow white and the 7 dorks. He said he would get rich back with me. 15 minutes later he txt's back and asked if styxx and stones was an ok name and u said yea.

Well when I get to league that night I can tell she is pissed but she don't say anything to me. She did the matching up and sat me out. Guess it was her way of showing me she still had a say in who played even if she did not get her way on the name change. She started sitting me out quite a bit....best player on the team....no ego...just a fact. So u said fvck this and called the captain I mentioned earlier and he had it me on his Tue night team.

Fast forward a year later to last night. I get to league and face my old team. Match time starts and my old captain asked ...where is your team ? I replied most are in Vegas with the captains other teams. He replied ...i guess you joined the wrong team and laughed. He then introduced me to a guy and said this is your replacement....i said ..oh yeah? He is a 3 lol .

Well we had me ..a 4 and 2-3's . He put up a 7....3-4's and a 3.

I won 4-0. Our team lost 8-7. As my old captain and I were signing each others sheets I said.....well now....most of our better players are in Vegas.....our worse player had to play twice and we only lost by 1 point. It looks to me like I joined the right team and bus smiled at him .:grin-square:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well after being on a roll winning left and right for the last 2weeks I got a dose of reality last night.

I aint unbeatable after all. I faced a 3 last night in 9 ball and thought it was gonna be a cake walk . Boy was I wrong. I lost 25-29 in a 25-38 race.

He did not miss anything....played pretty sporty position for a 3 and made me pay when he got 2 bih off me. He had a very good night and my shooting was not bad. Wow !

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Finished tied for 129th at APA nationals, made it into the money. Not to bad.

It was a fun week back here, watching for the reports of your teams matches, and the two 9-ball teams that went also. And our friend in Texas, as well... Our little area was well represented by you folks.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
My league is finally done for the session, but starting up in two weeks. My 3-man team won the division, and I won the end-of-session tournament. It's a chess handicapped league (like Fargo or Argonne leagues), with the winner of the lag choosing 8, 9, or 10-ball to determine the race. I didn't lose a single game in the entire tournament

We won a lot for one session, one division and only three people. About $2800. To me, that's shocking.

Freddie <~~~ almost halfway back

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man what a long day Sunday.

Masters starts at 2:00. No one from the other team showed. I have double jeapordy at 7:00 and its just too far to drive home and then back to the pool hall for 7:00 matches....so I hung out all day and practiced some.

5:00 another master came up to me and asked if I wanted to finish our match from last time that we had to stop cue to double jeapordy starting. I said sure. We had stopped tied at 2-2 in 8 ball. I won the 5 th 8 ball and we started 9 ball I wound up winning the match 7-4.

We then had Sunday night playoffs.

I won 8 ball vs another 5 by 4-3 in a very tough match. Lost 9 ball 38-36 vs another 5 I. Another tough match. Funny how every one seems to pick up a gear in playoffs:smile:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh yea....during playoffs I took a quick bath ruin break while my opponent was racking. On the way to the bathroom I was approached by a guy who wants me to join his Sunday afternoon scotch doubles. I pause long enough to tell him no. He follows me to the bathroom and is pleading for me to join while I am taking a piss....damn !

I tell him maybe just to get rid if him

Found out yesterday 4 people are leaving my wed night team to join other teams. Seems like they dint like our captain.

Today I find out my Sunday night co captain is going to start bus own team. No problem there but he took 3 of my players with him. . Good luck to him . If i get who i want I will have a better team and be rid of 2 cocky players who think they are better than they really are. I like the guys but I can't stand cocky. Confident Is what I want from my players...not cocky.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Our 8-ball team finished the session in 3rd place, which gets us into the playoffs (and Tri-cups) the way we do it here. This session has been very rewarding to me, as our division is very tough now, 15 teams, with a lot of very, very good teams. We managed to hang on, as going into the last week of the session there were two very tough teams just 4 points behind us.

Our team had its ups and downs over the session, but came together at the end to hang on. I'm really proud of them, and how we kept it together. There was no one person who carried the team, rather most everybody was doing an above average job throughout the session. (Save for me, I was dragging along the bottom of the top gun list, lol. Admittedly, I often would take on the opposing teams best player, to allow my better players the ability to score points for us, and I'd see if I could keep it interesting.) At one point about 3/4 of the way through the session, we had 7 players in the top 28 of the entire division, out of about 110 players. Didn't all end up that high, but most of my team must still be in the top half.

I did get a 3-0 win this week, which pretty much sealed it for us, so I felt a little redeemed. I had played poorly last week and let a point get away from me. The guy I played this week is a good SL5, if I recalled correctly he beat me the last time we played, so this was good for me in many ways.

Our 9-ball team finishes the session tonight, we should end the session in 1st place unless the wheels come off, and even if they do, we are virtually guaranteed to still be in the playoffs.

Pretty cool, both teams making the playoffs, and getting into the Tri-Cups. I'm looking forward to it.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations dub.

As cod me ...its been a helluva roller coaster the Las 2 weeks.

Where do i start ?

My Tue 8 ball team made tri cups but i was just informed that we are not going to play in it due to the captain and 2 other players are going to be outs town.

Wed double jeopardy.....the team folded due to 4 people lea inc for other teams so i decided to not play on wed nights any more.

Thur night 9 ball. Lost 2 players due to one moved and the other decided to lag off pool for a while..oh yea i kicked my co captain off the team and consequently Los his wife also. So i picked up 2 new players so far. Oh yea we got blowed away in playoffs.

Fri night scotch doubles. Did not make 8 ball playoffs but have 9 ball playoffs tomorrow night.

Sunday night double jeopardy. Lost playoffs in 9 ball but qualified for tri cups in 8 ball. So....3 days later i get a txt from my co captain saying he w as leaving to start his own team. 4 days before the new session starts.

He takes his wife hjs wife's friend and his friend. Also had another player leave cod another team. Wtf ? He gave me notice 4 days before the new ssssion starts.

I start calling every one i know and had the lo also looking for players for me. I manage to get 2-6's another 5 like me stayed and picked up a 4. If i don't pick up a 2 or 3 in the next 3 days i can't field a team.

Our Sunday night league was split into 2 divisions because of the large number of teams we have. I find out my former co captains team is in the other division which means j could have used his wife to continue playing on my team also.

He would have nine of that and actually copped an attitude about it.

Oh yea...when he told me he was starting his own team he asked if he could continue playing for me on Thursday rights. I told him that was cool. After he copped that attitude about his wife i kicked him off my Thursday team.

Well.thats all the bs and drama that has transpired with me lately.

AlbertaShark

Registered
Not in any leagues per say. But I came 4th out of 10 players in a tournament.

Also my best of 100 games. I'm losing 28-21 in one. and losing bad 16-6 in another. I've only played for just over a year though

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I decided to play with my former team mates in 8 ball tri cups this weekend.

We went 2 and out..i only played one match and it was one of the toughest....grueling matches I think I have ever played.

I faced probably the toughest 5 in town.....besides myself. :grin-square:

As I have stated on here before....when I get to higher level tournaments I dial it up a notch and play quite a few safes. Which I normally dont do during regular session. This match went hill - hill in 45 innings. Yep that's right 45 innings with me playing 22 safes and my opponent playing 15 for a total of 37 safes in this 45 inn in match.

The result....i lost 4-3 due to a scratch on the 8 . :embarrassed2: Normally I dont let losses bother me but I have replayed that one shot over and over in my head all day. Just shot it a hair too hard.

One other note from this match. I am getting too old for these type of matches. I was up 3-0 and on the hill before I started losing focus.....my feet started hurting and my back was getting stiff.

Last comment....my lo comes up to me later and says.....you nigh have won that match if you had played some safes. I told him I would work on that and we both laughed .

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Mixed results to report from our playoff experience.... last week was week one of the playoffs and both my 8-ball and 9-ball teams lost, meaning that we will be playing for 3rd place this week, sigh....

I couldn't play my strongest lineup for my 8-ball team, but we managed to navigate our way to being tied going into the last match, with my strongest player, SL6, going up against the team captain of the other team, SL4. He should win that match up 9 times out of 10, but this must've been that pesky 10th time. I didn't play, match ups didn't work out and with one player missing due to work issues, I couldn't field the combination that would have included me.

9-ball team, we just got beat. We had the match-ups we wanted (or at least were satisfied with) and they beat us. I also did not play, tho we are stronger across the SL5's on this team, so we take turns on that team. Even tho we were the strongest team during the session, sometimes you just don't match up as well against certain teams, and we always struggle with this particular team. Nothing more to say, we got beat.

Our Tri-Cups were this weekend, as well, for both teams. I had prior obligations on Saturday, so I couldn't play on my own 8-ball team for the first round, which fortunately my team won. I arrived halfway through the second round, and once again we were missing a player due to work obligations, so we couldn't play our strongest lineup (four SL5's and one SL3). Once again, we managed to get to the last match tied, so it was winner take all to advance. My SL6 again, this time versus an SL7. My guy was out ahead in the match, and had chances to get out for the win, but again, it simply didn't happen and we were out. Again, I hadn't played in the playoffs.

Yesterday was 9-ball Tri-Cups. Long story somewhat shortened, we won and will be going to states next June! I did play in our last match of the day, taking on an SL4 who had previously won 17-3 and 18-2 earlier in the day. (And she is on my 8-ball team, too, so we know each other pretty well! Hugs before and after the match.) She got out ahead of me pretty quickly, but I managed to come back strong, scoring 22 unanswered points (and should have been 24 with me still breaking, but I donkeyed a relatively easy 9-ball, grrrrrrr) which put me back in the lead. I got out of it with a 12-8 win, and our team won the next 3 matches as well, no need to go to the fifth match. Very cool and very rewarding.

So this week both teams play for the 3rd place money for the session, and I will most certainly be playing this time around, at least for 8-ball, lol. (I'll probably also have my 9-ball opponent in my lineup as well, lol. She sure played strong this weekend. This time she's on my side!) And then start it all over again, trying to get our 8-ball team back to Tri-Cups again...

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mixed results to report from our playoff experience.... last week was week one of the playoffs and both my 8-ball and 9-ball teams lost, meaning that we will be playing for 3rd place this week, sigh....

I couldn't play my strongest lineup for my 8-ball team, but we managed to navigate our way to being tied going into the last match, with my strongest player, SL6, going up against the team captain of the other team, SL4. He should win that match up 9 times out of 10, but this must've been that pesky 10th time. I didn't play, match ups didn't work out and with one player missing due to work issues, I couldn't field the combination that would have included me.

9-ball team, we just got beat. We had the match-ups we wanted (or at least were satisfied with) and they beat us. I also did not play, tho we are stronger across the SL5's on this team, so we take turns on that team. Even tho we were the strongest team during the session, sometimes you just don't match up as well against certain teams, and we always struggle with this particular team. Nothing more to say, we got beat.

Our Tri-Cups were this weekend, as well, for both teams. I had prior obligations on Saturday, so I couldn't play on my own 8-ball team for the first round, which fortunately my team won. I arrived halfway through the second round, and once again we were missing a player due to work obligations, so we couldn't play our strongest lineup (four SL5's and one SL3). Once again, we managed to get to the last match tied, so it was winner take all to advance. My SL6 again, this time versus an SL7. My guy was out ahead in the match, and had chances to get out for the win, but again, it simply didn't happen and we were out. Again, I hadn't played in the playoffs.

Yesterday was 9-ball Tri-Cups. Long story somewhat shortened, we won and will be going to states next June! I did play in our last match of the day, taking on an SL4 who had previously won 17-3 and 18-2 earlier in the day. (And she is on my 8-ball team, too, so we know each other pretty well! Hugs before and after the match.) She got out ahead of me pretty quickly, but I managed to come back strong, scoring 22 unanswered points (and should have been 24 with me still breaking, but I donkeyed a relatively easy 9-ball, grrrrrrr) which put me back in the lead. I got out of it with a 12-8 win, and our team won the next 3 matches as well, no need to go to the fifth match. Very cool and very rewarding.

So this week both teams play for the 3rd place money for the session, and I will most certainly be playing this time around, at least for 8-ball, lol. (I'll probably also have my 9-ball opponent in my lineup as well, lol. She sure played strong this weekend. This time she's on my side!) And then start it all over again, trying to get our 8-ball team back to Tri-Cups again...

Keep at it dub and you will get there. Be cool if we both made Vegas next year.

You know the saying about counting your chickens before they hatch but I just can't help feeling good about my new team I just formed.

It's only 3 weeks into the new session but we are kicking butt in 9 ball and doing decent in 8 ball.

As for me personally...well I will be surprised if I am not raised to a 6 in 9 ball again....been a 6 four times now.

Last Sunday I won 38-33 vs a 6

Thursday ....won 15-5 vs a 4....dont remember the points

Last night I won 38-30 bs a 6. I w as down 22-5 after 3 racks. He broke the 4 th rack and made a ball then he played safe..that lit a fire under me. I thought ...here he is beating the crap outa me and now he wants to play safe ? Next thing you know I win 38-30 its really un friggin believable I scored 33 points to his 8 after he pissed me off lol.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Keep at it dub and you will get there. Be cool if we both made Vegas next year.

You know the saying about counting your chickens before they hatch but I just can't help feeling good about my new team I just formed.

It's only 3 weeks into the new session but we are kicking butt in 9 ball and doing decent in 8 ball.

As for me personally...well I will be surprised if I am not raised to a 6 in 9 ball again....been a 6 four times now.

Last Sunday I won 38-33 vs a 6

Thursday ....won 15-5 vs a 4....dont remember the points

Last night I won 38-30 bs a 6. I w as down 22-5 after 3 racks. He broke the 4 th rack and made a ball then he played safe..that lit a fire under me. I thought ...here he is beating the crap outa me and now he wants to play safe ? Next thing you know I win 38-30 its really un friggin believable I scored 33 points to his 8 after he pissed me off lol.

I know what you mean about counting chickens and all that..... Our 9-ball team is strong. I like our chances against any team we play against locally, IF we play remotely close to our ability.

Of course, that's the rub. Maybe this is the year. We always hang with the teams from here that have gone to Vegas, so there's no reason we can't. We simply gotta do it, when it counts.

And I gotta get my 8-ball team back to tri cups, too, darn it :p

JaguarXFR

Registered
just joined APA a few months ago....they put me on a 9 ball team during the summer session (I had never played 9 ball before)....our team placed first and we won our tri cup last week so we qualified for the Las Vegas qualifier next year... It was a rocky start...came in as a 4, lost my first two matches (one to a 2 that ran 5 balls straight and a 9 on the snap) and another underranked player...got moved down to a 3...then crushed my next 2 opponents and got written up both weeks...so I moved from a 3 to a 5! Got hammered two weeks as a 5 and moved back down to a 4... Won 5 out of my last 7 matches...

This session has been strong.... I am 5 out of 5 and have beaten 4 5's (all by points) and the 4 I beat last week I beat 31-16 (he had a 14PPM rating before that loss)...my PPM is now at 15 after 5 matches.... I have beaten most 5's in our league at this point and because of the stats listed online, get the best 4 or 5 thrown at me every week...our team is in 2nd place right now....

Waiting to move up to a 5 which most people say will happen soon.... I'm going for that top MVP spot also... My game is definitely getting better...just concentrating on moving up one skill level every year to 2 years....slow and steady....

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just joined APA a few months ago....they put me on a 9 ball team during the summer session (I had never played 9 ball before)....our team placed first and we won our tri cup last week so we qualified for the Las Vegas qualifier next year... It was a rocky start...came in as a 4, lost my first two matches (one to a 2 that ran 5 balls straight and a 9 on the snap) and another underranked player...got moved down to a 3...then crushed my next 2 opponents and got written up both weeks...so I moved from a 3 to a 5! Got hammered two weeks as a 5 and moved back down to a 4... Won 5 out of my last 7 matches...

This session has been strong.... I am 5 out of 5 and have beaten 4 5's (all by points) and the 4 I beat last week I beat 31-16 (he had a 14PPM rating before that loss)...my PPM is now at 15 after 5 matches.... I have beaten most 5's in our league at this point and because of the stats listed online, get the best 4 or 5 thrown at me every week...our team is in 2nd place right now....

Waiting to move up to a 5 which most people say will happen soon.... I'm going for that top MVP spot also... My game is definitely getting better...just concentrating on moving up one skill level every year to 2 years....slow and steady....

Great shooting. Was much the same way when I first started..thing is when I did move to a 5 I lost every match that session....10 In a row then was moved down to a 4 for a half session before moving back to a 5 where I stayed for a couple of years. Been a 6 and back to a 5 four times now in 9 ball and once in 8 ball.

I have given up trying to reach a 7 since I feel.my best years are behind me now that I am 62 ..started playing apa way too late in my life lol.

Good luck in attaining your goal.

This week has been one of those crazy weeks again.

Tue night 8 ball I faced a 7 and lost 5-0..i had a few chances to win a rack here and there but as cellophane wrap.once said....couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat.

Thursday 9 ball I shot a lil better but lost 38-30.

Today in masters I shot dang good....only problem is my opponent ahot a whole lot better.. I only missed 3 shots in a 7-3 loss. I think the whole match only went 11 innings

Tonight I faced a 7 in 9 ball and won 38-40 in a 38-55 race.....oh yea....we were on the 9 footers tonight.....that means I shot pretty dang good for a bar banger..

Last edited:

JaguarXFR

Registered
Great shooting. Was much the same way when I first started..thing is when I did move to a 5 I lost every match that session....10 In a row then was moved down to a 4 for a half session before moving back to a 5 where I stayed for a couple of years. Been a 6 and back to a 5 four times now in 9 ball and once in 8 ball.

I have given up trying to reach a 7 since I feel.my best years are behind me now that I am 62 ..started playing apa way too late in my life lol.

Good luck in attaining your goal.

This week has been one of those crazy weeks again.

Tue night 8 ball I faced a 7 and lost 5-0..i had a few chances to win a rack here and there but as cellophane wrap.once said....couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat.

Thursday 9 ball I shot a lil better but lost 38-30.

Today in masters I shot dang good....only problem is my opponent ahot a whole lot better.. I only missed 3 shots in a 7-3 loss. I think the whole match only went 11 innings

Tonight I faced a 7 in 9 ball and won 38-40 in a 38-55 race.....oh yea....we were on the 9 footers tonight.....that means I shot pretty dang good for a bar banger..

Thanks!!
6 match went well...beat a 4 31-13 which was a 17-3 and up'ed my PPM to 15.33 after 6 matches...One more and I will be MVP eligible...and today I found out that they moved me up to a 5...which is bittersweet... What you said makes me feel a little more at ease though about your first matches as a 5, I'm just nervous I won't be able to put up the points for my team like I was...guess I am just going to have to get even better...