Going to be flying to SBE this year, recommendations for carrying pool cues on plane

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I flew on Spirit Airlines to Houston for the Seniors One Pocket tourney in October. This is how my cue was returned to me. It was packed first in the hard case and second, with my clothes, in the larger travel bag.

I made my first work of art out of the finished product. Of course Spirit took no responsibility. saying I should have informed them immediately when I picked up my bag at the L.A. airport. I didn't open my luggage until after I returned home and didn't see my broken cue for a couple of days. When I opened the cue case to put it back in the rack it came out in the two pieces you see here. It appears to be deliberately broken.

Interesting, when my son's cue inside my suitcase was lost for weeks, it was also on Spirit. And I did not get it back till the day I could file a claim.

ca sn8ke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trust is an interesting dilemna. I traveled SAN-DEN-SAN last year. I UPS'd my cue to the hotel, to arrive a day ahead of me. Notified the desk and relaxed. Guess what? When I arrived, no cue but a least I was able to track. Don't exactly know what happened, but it arrived the next day. Good thing it wasn't for some huge tournament and I had bought a sneaky for the occasion. Out of DEN I carried it onboard, absolutely no questions asked.
Suggestion, go out to the airport, check with your courier, and then check with the TSA. I was flying UAL. On the way back, get to the airport early. Worst case, check and insure it.

My Story

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I flew on Spirit Airlines to Houston for the Seniors One Pocket tourney in October. This is how my cue was returned to me. It was packed first in the hard case and second, with my clothes, in the larger travel bag.

I made my first work of art out of the finished product. Of course Spirit took no responsibility. saying I should have informed them immediately when I picked up my bag at the L.A. airport. I didn't open my luggage until after I returned home and didn't see my broken cue for a couple of days. When I opened the cue case to put it back in the rack it came out in the two pieces you see here. It appears to be deliberately broken.

I believe you are correct. That cue was deliberately broken.

dkjshark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

wow that sucks! Now im really scared to pack my cue!

dkjshark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I fly with my cue case a couple times a year. Problem with most luggage is the length. A couple years ago I bought a baseball equipment bag and it's worked great. It's long enough to accommodate baseball bats (or a cue case), has a hard bottom, wheels and a handle, and only set me back $40. As long as you don't mind checking into your hotel with a bag that has a big Louisville Slugger or Easton logo on it you're in business.

Thank for the idea!

dkjshark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Baggage gets opened and rifled through by TSA and airline employees.
There's been a lot of hidden camera videos of employees stealing from
passengers' luggage. TSA admitted it a genuine problem and what do
you do when you open your bag and there's no cue(s)? File a baggage
complaint? If you are smart, ship directly to the hotel where you will be
staying. Call and verify they will accept and hold the package for you.

Thanks for your advice!

dkjshark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trust is an interesting dilemna. I traveled SAN-DEN-SAN last year. I UPS'd my cue to the hotel, to arrive a day ahead of me. Notified the desk and relaxed. Guess what? When I arrived, no cue but a least I was able to track. Don't exactly know what happened, but it arrived the next day. Good thing it wasn't for some huge tournament and I had bought a sneaky for the occasion. Out of DEN I carried it onboard, absolutely no questions asked.
Suggestion, go out to the airport, check with your courier, and then check with the TSA. I was flying UAL. On the way back, get to the airport early. Worst case, check and insure it.

My Story

Thank you, that makes sense, kj

dkjshark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is what i ust to do, get an oversize bag that the cue case will fit in, check that bag and tell them you want insurance on this bag, i never had an issue doing it like this. If you want get one of those TrackR and toss that in the case just in case.

Thanks for the suggestion

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've been told by many tsa agents that it depends on the airport. Every airport has their own policy. Some

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

I flew out of Philly once to Phoenix. No problem carrying my cue on the plane with me. Same trip flying from Phoenix to Philly the TSA made me check the cue. Same cue, same case, different rules apparently.

Here's actually the safest way to travel with a cue. A little pricey but not considering the cost of some cues. This thing is built like a tank. The added benefit of doubling as a great gun case or vise versa. Extra foam is available for customization. Get a luggage tracker if you're really worried.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00286M5OS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Attachments

• pelican case.jpg
    pelican case.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 350

dkjshark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I flew out of Philly once to Phoenix. No problem carrying my cue on the plane with me. Same trip flying from Phoenix to Philly the TSA made me check the cue. Same cue, same case, different rules apparently.

Here's actually the safest way to travel with a cue. A little pricey but not considering the cost of some cues. This thing is built like a tank. The added benefit of doubling as a great gun case or vise versa. Extra foam is available for customization. Get a luggage tracker if you're really worried.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00286M5OS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thank you for the suggestion, can you use a lock on the luggage or will they deny carrying it?

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a hard cue case. I wrap my case with cardboard before checking it and tape it up. Haven't had a problem yet. I just worry about directly exposing the case to the luggage machines, those things can be nasty.

Oh, and insert some newspaper at the top inside the case so there's no play, or room for the shafts and butts to move at all.

dkjshark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a hard cue case. I wrap my case with cardboard before checking it and tape it up. Haven't had a problem yet. I just worry about directly exposing the case to the luggage machines, those things can be nasty.

Oh, and insert some newspaper at the top inside the case so there's no play, or room for the shafts and butts to move at all.

Thanks, good idea!

SPetty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made this years and years ago...

This is how my cue was returned to me. It was packed first in the hard case and second, with my clothes, in the larger travel bag.

I made my first work of art out of the finished product.

When I opened the cue case to put it back in the rack it came out in the two pieces you see here. It appears to be deliberately broken.
Wow, what a shame. That's a gorgeous cue! It could possibly have succumbed to the problem that caused me to not choose to carry my cue in a large suitcase.

Someone had one time suggested that if you have a large bag with your cue packed inside, the suitcase would likely end up on the bottom of the pile with a smaller bag on it and topped off by who knows how many other heavier bags. A cue might be relatively easy to snap or break under those conditions.

So the first time I had to fly with my cue after they made the STUPID rule that you could not carry your cues in their case as carry-on luggage, I built a cue case carrier to carry my cheap 2x2 out of huge PVC pipe 6". You can stuff other items in with the case, and you might want to due to the pop rivets that stick into the tube a little that hold the dog collars, but it wasn't difficult to make and I never had any trouble. I didn't put a lock on it because I figured they'd always want to have a look. The duct tape wrapping was added later once I learned how quickly and easily it got scuffed, and the duct tape pieces on the lid were to hold the chain down during transport so as to not muck up the machinery or the chain. This is not my original carrying strap which was metal and leather, but when you check the tube, you remove the carrying strap and add it to your carry-on.

The only time I almost had trouble was when I waited for it at the carousel and it never came. Turns out it was hanging out with the golf clubs in a separate collection area.

Just putting it out there and maybe it will cause someone to brainstorm an even better idea!

My second favorite was an aluminum rifle case, as mentioned here already. The least favorite was the soft sided case made specifically to carry your cue case. That would be good if your case is truly unbendable, then the soft case protects the finish of the case. And by unbendable, picture the case supported on each end with something very heavy in the middle. The soft case also had a LOT of room in it for additional clothing and such.

I don't fly with my cues any more, and have no need for this tube, but I don't think anyone else would want it either. So I still have it trying to figure out what else to use it for...

Sorry that Max is a spoiled rotten attention whore.

Attachments

• azb1.JPG
    azb1.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 235
  • azb2.JPG
    azb2.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 397
  • azb3.JPG
    azb3.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 371
  • azb5.JPG
    azb5.JPG