What "if" Florian Venom Kohler decided to compete at 8,9,10 Ball?

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He would have 0 chance in the ring with "any" pro in actual game play.

Like I said before, I've played him more than once and he cant get there with me if we play even so, nope, he has zero chance as a player in the pro ranks.

I have my doubts that he could even "compete" at the amateur champion level.

The very first time I played him I would have put him around a "B-" to "B" speed as a "player". As an artistic player, well, "pro" speed for sure"

The last time I played him, I would have put him "as a player", well, around "B+" to "A-" speed. Yes, he did play much better the last time I played him but, he still couldn't "get there".

Look, what your asking is the same thing as:

Hey, that race car is "fast". I wonder if it would be a good car to drive on a long trip? Short answer: NOPE.

You mean he couldn't handle Siming Chen lol???

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member

Attachments

• 323hbw.jpg
    323hbw.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 196

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Why on earth would he want to take a pay cut :) Thus, there is no reason to even find out. But, i'm betting he can play as good as any top amateurs. I saw him shoot a few racks, and he's pretty solid with a cue. Very fluid, puts the ball where he wants. He's not SVB, but he'd hold his own in any local tourney imho.

dealerphil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lot of ****ing Fun

Just here for the comments...LWMBO

Shout out to those keeping it real about Florian's pool playing skills. I would have a lot of ****ing fun torturing him playing 8 ball, 9 ball, 10 ball, One Pocket, Back Pocket 8 ball, Golf, etc.

We can call it the Longest Duration To Spin His Head. Florian would definitely need some Dramamine and need to reconsider his nickname after Diese.

The only thing that bites is his bitterness.

Officially,
Phil Diese

PS set up a match and we can play all the games including artistic shots. Let's have some ****ing fun! 😜

Wesv1988

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't read ALL the posts so sorry if this has already been mentioned, I noticed people bringing up Mike Massey a lot and figured he would be a good example of a trick shot artist who also played in pool tournaments. He was/is a good shooter but can't hang with guys like SVB or Shaw. I believe that's how Venom would be. I would guess he could hang with Jasmin but against Albin he wouldn't have a chance, that's not an insult to him or Jasmin it's just going by the difference in their Fargo ratings. He's a solid player but would need quite a bit of luck and short sets to beat the TOP pro players consistently.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Why on earth would he want to take a pay cut :) Thus, there is no reason to even find out. But, i'm betting he can play as good as any top amateurs. I saw him shoot a few racks, and he's pretty solid with a cue. Very fluid, puts the ball where he wants. He's not SVB, but he'd hold his own in any local tourney imho.

https://youtu.be/kQUTswf6-VU

That is a match between two of Japan's top amateurs (the loser recently went pro). Would you bet on Florian against either of these two? (Note: there are several dozen amateurs around this level in Japan alone and a whole lot more just behind them).

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I didn't read ALL the posts so sorry if this has already been mentioned, I noticed people bringing up Mike Massey a lot and figured he would be a good example of a trick shot artist who also played in pool tournaments. He was/is a good shooter but can't hang with guys like SVB or Shaw. I believe that's how Venom would be. I would guess he could hang with Jasmin but against Albin he wouldn't have a chance, that's not an insult to him or Jasmin it's just going by the difference in their Fargo ratings. He's a solid player but would need quite a bit of luck and short sets to beat the TOP pro players consistently.

Apples to Oranges

Mike Massey didn't start his career as a trick shot artist - he didn't come into fame and start booking shows after some YouTube videos went viral. From what I know, he was out there rolling the rock and locking cues with some great hustlers and pro level players up until he met his wife and kicked some horrible drug habits.......
High runs of 9 racks of 9 ball in tournament play, 13 racks in match play.

Show me where Kohler put down a 5 pack in tournament play, I'll wait.

Of course Massey can't hang with guys like SVB or Shaw!
Fast Eddie will tell you it's a young man's game. Mike is like 72 right now, plus he mostly works on trick shots and exhibitions, see the similarity?

Again, I'm not knocking the Venom. He's a great talent! Truly miraculous stuff!! These questions and speculations that he would hold his own in tournament play are absurd. Just my .02

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a topic I hear all the time since I compete in the Artistic Pool Tournaments with Florian. As stated before, Florian started with trickshots where most of us played regular pool first and then transitioned to trick shots. Florian's pool game has gotten better then in the past. His high run in straight pool is in the 70's, he has run a 5 pack of 9 ball on a 9ft table, and his 3 cushion game is getting pretty decent. But like others also have stated, artistic pool is a different beast that regular pool. My regular pool game has gone down a bit since I started doing artistic pool about 5 years ago. However if I gave our shot program to a top level pool player, they probably wouldn't score better then a mid level artistic pool player. Because they don't practice that stuff because it isn't what they do. Yes Florian can miss 50 times in making a video but he is always in the last 4 of our artistic pool events and we only get 3 attempts there.

As far as the use of silicone, that is mainly for videos. Our artistic pool tournaments do no allow the use of silicone. However, silicone is used for some shots in artistic billiards.

As far as there being "trick cues," most of us use standard cues. Yes all of us have a masse cue, which is shorter and heavier. Also the majority of us also use a jump cue for super short distances, either the marty carey jump cue or the dr popper. I personally have 3 jump cues I use in competition: the marty carey jump cue and two standard factory jump cues.

Florian would put up more of a fight in a pro event then I think people give him credit for, but he doesn't need to. The stigma is that us artistic pool players can't play regular pool. For some that is accurate. However most of us can play decent. But we won't compete against the top level pros in regular pool for the same reason they won't be able to compete against us in artistic pool. Besides, its always nice to go to a venue to do an exhibition and you have your expenses paid for and money on the side before you even walk in the door. Who would give that up?

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Well said ^^

Tap tap

They're good at what they do. Hell, they're fantastic at what they do, and no other pool enthusiast can hold a flame to pulling off most of those phenomenal shots. So, why stop?

:thumbup:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thoughts exactly. If he dedicated himself to playing rotation he would most likely play great but he focuses on trick shots and being an entertainer and is making a good living doing what he loves.

This is a topic I hear all the time since I compete in the Artistic Pool Tournaments with Florian. As stated before, Florian started with trickshots where most of us played regular pool first and then transitioned to trick shots. Florian's pool game has gotten better then in the past. His high run in straight pool is in the 70's, he has run a 5 pack of 9 ball on a 9ft table, and his 3 cushion game is getting pretty decent. But like others also have stated, artistic pool is a different beast that regular pool. My regular pool game has gone down a bit since I started doing artistic pool about 5 years ago. However if I gave our shot program to a top level pool player, they probably wouldn't score better then a mid level artistic pool player. Because they don't practice that stuff because it isn't what they do. Yes Florian can miss 50 times in making a video but he is always in the last 4 of our artistic pool events and we only get 3 attempts there.

As far as the use of silicone, that is mainly for videos. Our artistic pool tournaments do no allow the use of silicone. However, silicone is used for some shots in artistic billiards.

As far as there being "trick cues," most of us use standard cues. Yes all of us have a masse cue, which is shorter and heavier. Also the majority of us also use a jump cue for super short distances, either the marty carey jump cue or the dr popper. I personally have 3 jump cues I use in competition: the marty carey jump cue and two standard factory jump cues.

Florian would put up more of a fight in a pro event then I think people give him credit for, but he doesn't need to. The stigma is that us artistic pool players can't play regular pool. For some that is accurate. However most of us can play decent. But we won't compete against the top level pros in regular pool for the same reason they won't be able to compete against us in artistic pool. Besides, its always nice to go to a venue to do an exhibition and you have your expenses paid for and money on the side before you even walk in the door. Who would give that up?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Brian, thanks for the clarification on the cues...and it's good that we get some valuable input from an actual "artistic" pool player. Well written post, sir.

Maniac

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian, thanks for the clarification on the cues...and it's good that we get some valuable input from an actual "artistic" pool player. Well written post, sir.

Maniac
Your welcome. I think I may be the only ranked artistic pool player that is on AZ Billiards a lot so I gotta represent. lol

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol... The guy would put-up zero fight in a pro-event.

If he dedicates himself, he may reach "pro-speed;" he might beat a top player in a short race a few times in his life, but "pro-speed" is still a million miles away from "top-player."

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol... The guy would put-up zero fight in a pro-event.

If he dedicates himself, he may reach "pro-speed;" he might beat a top player in a short race a few times in his life, but "pro-speed" is still a million miles away from "top-player."

I would disagree with zero fight. He wouldn't be winning the event but he wouldn't get blanked in the matches either.

But as stated before, he makes more money doing what he is doing now then a lot of pro pool players so why change. Plus, most pro speed pool players wouldn't put up much of a fight in our events either. Again, for the same reasons.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Your welcome. I think I may be the only ranked artistic pool player that is on AZ Billiards a lot so I gotta represent. lol

Good post, sir...you represented the artistic world well.

Downtown action room...70s...we were like the Pinoys.....almost everybody gambled.
A retired widower would take a back table and work on trick shots......
....6x12 Anniversary snooker tables.
...kept track in a booklet...when he liked one, he’d draw diagrams.
We sorta adopted the guy and encouraged him to move to a more central table.
....sadly, he passed away before he got his book together.

Chris’ in Chicago....Jeff Gates had a lifelong project also....
....I believe he’s got a world record on most balls made in one shot...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBGPPtAuNU4

Artistic billiards is another world...and not a bad one to reside in.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would disagree with zero fight. He wouldn't be winning the event but he wouldn't get blanked in the matches either.

But as stated before, he makes more money doing what he is doing now then a lot of pro pool players so why change. Plus, most pro speed pool players wouldn't put up much of a fight in our events either. Again, for the same reasons.

The original poster made a specific statement in his first post and then asked a specific question in his second.

Florian is the best at what he does, but to propose that his becoming a top-player (best-of-the-best) is simply a matter of him deciding to do it is borderline crazy and without the slightest basis in reality.

If he played Shane or Alex today: 10-ball / Race to 21, I think both of those guy would be the favorite even if they could only win a game by 3-fouls or combination of the 10.

As for the last portion of your post, I will say this: If the top 50 artistic players decided to start playing pro-pool events, the pool players would love it. If the top 50 pool players decided to start competing in your events, the artistic players would hate it... Nothing personal. That's just how I see it.

Last edited:

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The original poster made a specific statement in his first post and then asked a specific question in his second.

Florian is the best at what he does, but to propose that his becoming a top-player (best-of-the-best) is simply a matter of him deciding to do it is borderline crazy and without the slightest basis in reality.

If he played Shane or Alex today: 10-ball / Race to 21, I think both of those guy would be the favorite even if they could only win a game by 3-fouls or combination of the 10.

As for the last portion of your post, I will say this: If the top 50 artistic players decided to start playing pro-pool events, the pool players would love it. If the top 50 pool players decided to start competing in your events, the artistic players would hate it... Nothing personal. That's just how I see it.

I am not saying he is becoming a top player and Florian would say that. What I am saying is that he would put up more of a fight then people think he would. If he plays Shane race to 21 9 ball alternate break I think he could get 10 games. Yeah if we played in their events they would like it. If they played in our events, we would love that. Mike Dechaine ventured into our world for a handful of things and didn't do well. I would love to do a "home and away" with a pro pool player sometime. A race in regular pool and then our playoff format in artistic pool. It would be cool to do that and raise money for a local charity.