Breakout ball choice

BigDeal52

Don Pearce
Silver Member
I have two possible breakout balls. With all things equal as far as being able to get good shape on either ball which one would you prefer. Of course, both balls (the 4 and 7) are on the rack end of the table. The 4 ball, is on the left side of the rack one diamond off the side rail and 1-2/3 diamonds off the end rail. The 7 ball is on the right side of the rack 1-1/3 diamond off the side rail and 2 diamonds from the end rail. Left and right is looking from the kitchen. And I would like to hear why you choose one ball over the other.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have two possible breakout balls. With all things equal as far as being able to get good shape on either ball which one would you prefer. Of course, both balls (the 4 and 7) are on the rack end of the table. The 4 ball, is on the left side of the rack one diamond off the side rail and 1-2/3 diamonds off the end rail. The 7 ball is on the right side of the rack 1-1/3 diamond off the side rail and 2 diamonds from the end rail. Left and right is looking from the kitchen. And I would like to hear why you choose one ball over the other.
I'm right handed, so the ball on the left of the rack would be my choice. I also prefer to have a short shot rather than a long shot, which means I would prefer to break from the side rather than by stretching from the end of the table.

If I have a "wrong side" break shot I try to make it thin so I can still break from the side.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I'm right handed, so the ball on the left of the rack would be my choice. I also prefer to have a short shot rather than a long shot, which means I would prefer to break from the side rather than by stretching from the end of the table.

If I have a "wrong side" break shot I try to make it thin so I can still break from the side.

Good advice in this post. Avoid having to stretch on your breakshot, if you can.

BigDeal52

Don Pearce
Silver Member
I like the 7 because I like going into the top part of the rack but I bow to your superior knowledge.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member

I like to say that which ever side of the table you can reach better. also it depends which side you play better. (right cuts, Left cuts), but in the end which ever you choose. commit to the shot and donnt think while down on the shot that maybe you should play the other. give 100% on the ball you are shooting.

Steve

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All things being equal the 4 is easier for right handed but I would take the 7 if I had a better key ball on that side.

BigDeal52

Don Pearce
Silver Member
So what I am hearing is the best ball is the one in which you can get your cue ball closes too. Not a big deal whether it is near the top of the rack or the bottom of the rack. I like the one near the top of the rack because I can go into the pack with low English and put my cue ball a little above the center of the table. I feel like I get more balls to shoot at than I do if the cue ball ends up under the rack.