APA question

jus4funbilliard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would love to do this to someone, shooting on the eight see your going to scratch just pick cue ball up. Not loss of game now just a foul right ?Bet that would piss someone off. Would be fun.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Would love to do this to someone, shooting on the eight see your going to scratch just pick cue ball up. Not loss of game now just a foul right ?Bet that would piss someone off. Would be fun.

Yes, if cheating is fun, by all means, that is the right move :rolleyes:

But without looking there might be some sportsmanship rule that may negate your little idea.

Shenanigans

Registered
From the APA nationals rules page 10.

A game is forfeited if you alter the course of the 8-ball or the cue ball in a game losing situation.

Was this rule changed?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
No, the rule is still the same.
http://www.poolplayers.com/8-9-ball-Rules.pdf

Playing in different leagues, I used to run into the occasional player who wouldn't take the time to learn the rules or the format, impose their own interpretation, or worst purposely ignore the rules and try to cheat. After the match, they usually become the butt of jokes and reputation travels fast especially if that person was already kicked out of other leagues.

A game is forfeited if you alter the course of the 8-ball or the cue ball in a game losing situation.

Was this rule changed?

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member

Was this rule changed?

no one altered the path of the cue ball or the 8 ball......... he just handed his opponent the cue ball........... gave him ball in hand....... it is marked as a defensive shot............

Kim

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no one altered the path of the cue ball or the 8 ball......... he just handed his opponent the cue ball........... gave him ball in hand....... it is marked as a defensive shot............

Kim

that is the way i see it also.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Loss.

-------------------

Fun.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Kim

He picked up the Cueball while it was moving and it was a game losing situation (scratching on the 8-ball is a loss in the APA). Pretty cut and dry. How do you see it as not altering the path of the Cueball in a game losing situation ???

Freddie <~~~ very dry

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Please dont do that to me. I really don't need the hassle. :p

Tho I can think of a few that would make that scenario interesting in our world....

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Yes, if cheating is fun, by all means, that is the right move :rolleyes:

But without looking there might be some sportsmanship rule that may negate your little idea.

Believe me, RJ, he wouldn't. He's just messing around. True stand up guy.

(I'm his DivRep)

Shenanigans

Registered
I guess I misunderstood the OP. Shooting to me equals cue ball in motion. Now I have picked up a cue ball and just given in it to my opponent when I am on the 8 and it is hanging in a pocket and blocked or partially blocked by another ball. Is that an APA sportsmanship violation? Are you at least suppose to make an attempt?

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I misunderstood the OP. Shooting to me equals cue ball in motion. Now I have picked up a cue ball and just given in it to my opponent when I am on the 8 and it is hanging in a pocket and blocked or partially blocked by another ball. Is that an APA sportsmanship violation? Are you at least suppose to make an attempt?

Just giving up ball in had is not a violation. In your scenario I would advise that instead of picking up the cue ball and handing it to your opponent you should just touch the cue ball with your hand just enough to prove that you fouled. Let them now move the cue ball. If you pick it up and accidently drop it and it falls into a pocket some would say you just scratched and lost the game.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He picked up the Cueball while it was moving and it was a game losing situation (scratching on the 8-ball is a loss in the APA). Pretty cut and dry. How do you see it as not altering the path of the Cueball in a game losing situation ???

Freddie <~~~ very dry

i guess i mis read it....not the 1st time its happened.:eek:

if the cue ball was moving ...yes its a loss. if he had not shot yet...no , its just a bih foul.

banditgrrr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although it's piss poor sportsmanship, it would certainly be something I'd pull in a match if it was on April Fools day. However, I think the joke would only last a few seconds before someone got really pissed off and you'd end up conceding the game. But at least it would be good for a laugh.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think the only league that allows you to just pick up a ball without making a hit on it with your cue is TAP. You can foul on purpose but for it not to be a flagrant foul with a possible loss of game you have to hit it legally with your cue. So you can just tap the cueball with a legal stroke and not hit a rail or whatever you want, but you can't just pick up the cueball.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the only league that allows you to just pick up a ball without making a hit on it with your cue is TAP. You can foul on purpose but for it not to be a flagrant foul with a possible loss of game you have to hit it legally with your cue. So you can just tap the cueball with a legal stroke and not hit a rail or whatever you want, but you can't just pick up the cueball.

I have never heard this before in any league or tournament play. Maybe so but hard for me to believe. I would think that any movement of the cue ball in any way is a foul resulting in a ball in hand.
With the rule you suggest if one is preparing to bridge and accidentally touch the cue ball it could cause one to lose that game?

Last edited:

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would seem to me if your in a situation where you are playing eight ball and your shooting on the eight ball with no possibuility of doing anything but scratching there are other problems there. The first being If you shot the previous shot why would you leave yourself in such a bad position. If your opponent left you with a hard safety and you were faced with it that may be different. Either way I have never heard or seen a shot that could not be made without a scratch. I would suggest you need to practice more. Many shots that seem impossible are in fact very possible if you think outside the box Don't take my word for it check out some of the shots that the Freddy “the Beard” Bentivegna explains in his books or online at youtube.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

In The APA, on any shot, even the 8 ball, if you're hooked and maybe you don't want to risk moving any of the balls or breaking out your opponents balls, or whatever like that, you can just hand the ball over to your opponent. It's considered a defensive inning. It's not a sportsmanship violation and only a foul in the sense that your opponent gets ball in hand, as if you made an illegal contact or no contact. It happens all the time