AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, what is the:

Vault plate color
shaft weight
shaft length
diameter
pin type

Having ask the above, what are your thoughts when comparing the revo custom to an original revo of same diameter?

Last but certainly not least. In your opinion, is the deflection of the custom as low as the original?

Thanks,

Jeff

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Jeff,

I have not played with or purchased my own custom Predator Revo. Having said probably won't be purchasing one either. I asked the Predator Group(via email & phone) about what exactly was custom & got this reply.

If you purchased a Custom Revo, you would be able to choose the tip diameter (12.4 or 12.9), the joint (3/8x10, 5/16x14, 5/16x18, Uni-Lock Quick Release, Radial), length (29" or 30"), the weight (3.5, 4.0, 4.5), vault plate color (white or black), tip (Victory or Kamui) and allows up to 12 characters of engraving. The cost is $599 and the turnaround time is between 45-90 days.

Joint diameter is not part of the equation either.

Not exactly what I call "custom." Buy hey that's just me ymmv.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Jeff,

I have not played with or purchased my own custom Predator Revo. Having said probably won't be purchasing one either. I asked the Predator Group(via email & phone) about what exactly was custom & got this reply.

If you purchased a Custom Revo, you would be able to choose the tip diameter (12.4 or 12.9), the joint (3/8x10, 5/16x14, 5/16x18, Uni-Lock Quick Release, Radial), length (29" or 30"), the weight (3.5, 4.0, 4.5), vault plate color (white or black), tip (Victory or Kamui) and allows up to 12 characters of engraving. The cost is $599 and the turnaround time is between 45-90 days.

Joint diameter is not part of the equation either.

Not exactly what I call "custom." Buy hey that's just me ymmv.

I appreciate your taking the time but, I'm really wanting to hear from someone that, for example:

Played with a revo 12.4 original that was 29", weighed....say...3.9 oz and had original black vault plate and used their favorite tip. Then they upgraded the length from 29" to a 30", and chose 4.5 oz instead of the 3.9 oz they had before. Then decided to have the white vault plate/ferrule instead of the original vault plate.

I'm just curious if the heavier shafts in the 4.5 oz range are as low deflection as the lighter shafts?

I'm also wondering if the vault plate/ferrule actually was a good add-on. If so, was it purely a visual difference or did it soften or harden the hit up compared to their original revo with their same favorite tip?

I'm not worried about bling (rings etc...etc) in the least. I'm all about the performance and comfort.

Again, thank you for at least taking time to respond.

Jeff

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the vault plate for any revo, custom or not, is always there and that with the custom option you can choose to have it white instead of black. But again, with custom or not, the vault plate is always there.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the vault plate for any revo, custom or not, is always there and that with the custom option you can choose to have it white instead of black. But again, with custom or not, the vault plate is always there.

Yes, the vault plate is on all revos. I'm just wondering if they use a different material to make the white vault plate? If so, does it change the performance in any way. One would assume that it's a different material or they would have made it white to begin with....:confused:

I ask the sales person but, they didn't have a clue about what I was talking about. They said:

"All I know is that it's called a revo custom and the description says it has a white vault plate but, I don't know what material it is made of. I figured they was all the same." Again :confused:

Some may think I'm overthinking but, I'm buying three shafts for $1,800.

I can't believe I've spent as many K's on production cues. If you went back in time and told the young me that i was gonna spend several k on one cue-butt and a few shafts...and them be PRODUCTION cues.....I would've said "your crazy as a run over dog".

Anywho, anyone thats can give "firsthand experience" with a revo custom compared to a revo original with the same diameter and hopefully similar tip would be most appreciated.

Jeff

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the "Custom" Revo actually available now or is it something planned for the future?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the "Custom" Revo actually available now or is it something planned for the future?

Seyberts told me they would order one for me. But, for the same price, I can get it straight from predator and not have to worry about mix-ups as far as specs.

I was told that the customs were strictly no-returns after purchase for any reason. Seyberts "usually" gives a 30 day return policy for anything they have "in-stock". I imagine since it will be made-to-order, it may be hard to sell if it was returned.

So, yes, they are available for purchase. However, there is a 90ish day wait after purchase.

I'm still on the fence but, since Pechauer isn't going to give weight options, I may have to go with revo.

Jeff

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris Melling should know the answer if a different vault plate effects the energy transfer. After playing with a standard Revo (not sure but my guess 12,4) I've noticed him playing with a different Revo with a white vault plate once custom Revos were introduced. The last time I've watched him playing he played with a Revo which looked like a standard one. If he switched back to his old one he might have his reasons for that but that is just my observation and guess.
I can share my experience with vault plate out of different materials.
Being curious I've bought a c.f. blank from a supplier I know to finish the shaft on my own. So as I've liked the look alike Mezz Ignite with white vault plate and brown fiber pad firstly I made the vault plate using lighter white material which worked great for the ferrules on the wooden shafts. So I've made similar combo white vault plate & fiber pad on top.
Once the shaft was ready I was eager to find out how it hits and was dissapointed because I did not like the hit at all. So as the easiest way to change the hit was to change the vault plate to a harder material I've made it out of black fiber I used for break or jumps cues and for visual thing just put a thin pad out of aegis on top. This operation changed the hit very much and the shaft played much better.
So long story short material matters a lot and for that kind of vault plate/construction the harder material is better (imo). My guess Mezz uses aegis for their white vault plate. At least it looks very similar to it.
The chances you get the answers from somebody who has the experience you're asking are not very high so you may have not so many alternatives but to have your own experience.
It is a silly thing they at Predator could not answer what material they use for their white vault plates:confused:
If you decide to pull the trigger I wish you're really happy with what you get,
Sergey.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris Melling should know the answer if a different vault plate effects the energy transfer. After playing with a standard Revo (not sure but my guess 12,4) I've noticed him playing with a different Revo with a white vault plate once custom Revos were introduced. The last time I've watched him playing he played with a Revo which looked like a standard one. If he switched back to his old one he might have his reasons for that but that is just my observation and guess.
I can share my experience with vault plate out of different materials.
Being curious I've bought a c.f. blank from a supplier I know to finish the shaft on my own. So as I've liked the look alike Mezz Ignite with white vault plate and brown fiber pad firstly I made the vault plate using lighter white material which worked great for the ferrules on the wooden shafts. So I've made similar combo white vault plate & fiber pad on top.
Once the shaft was ready I was eager to find out how it hits and was dissapointed because I did not like the hit at all. So as the easiest way to change the hit was to change the vault plate to a harder material I've made it out of black fiber I used for break or jumps cues and for visual thing just put a thin pad out of aegis on top. This operation changed the hit very much and the shaft played much better.
So long story short material matters a lot and for that kind of vault plate/construction the harder material is better (imo). My guess Mezz uses aegis for their white vault plate. At least it looks very similar to it.
The chances you get the answers from somebody who has the experience you're asking are not very high so you may have not so many alternatives but to have your own experience.
It is a silly thing they at Predator could not answer what material they use for their white vault plates:confused:
If you decide to pull the trigger I wish you're really happy with what you get,
Sergey.

Sergey,

Thanks for your input sir.

I had a small piece (1/8" thick) of Juma put on my 12.4 revo and it works very well as long as I don't use a mushy tip.

I'm gonna put a 1/8" piece of tomahawk material ontop of the silencer pad in place if the juma and see if it hits even better.

Only reason I'm thinking about the custom is the custom weight and length.

People can put white material on a revo original and not effect deflection as long as they know what material and how much of it to use.

I've found that with juma, the limit 1/4" before it effects deflection in a negative manner.

I wish all cue makers would start experimenting with carbon fiber. After the tube is ready for filling, the hard part is done.

I tried a 1/2" piece of juma and it was terrible. It deflected like it was a broom stick. Changed that to a 1/4" and worked pretty good. Changed that to 1/8" and it is absolutely perfect as far as visual perception while keeping deflection really low.

BTW, the 1/8" piece of juma is ~roughly the same size as the vault plate sitting under it. I figured it would make deflection bad but, it didn't change it at all after cutting it down.

It's IMO, the sweet spot for adding a ferrule to an original revo 12.4.

So, if a person doesn't care about length or weight or special pin, they really don't have to go revo custom.

Jeff

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Seyberts told me they would order one for me. But, for the same price, I can get it straight from predator and not have to worry about mix-ups as far as specs.

I was told that the customs were strictly no-returns after purchase for any reason. Seyberts "usually" gives a 30 day return policy for anything they have "in-stock". I imagine since it will be made-to-order, it may be hard to sell if it was returned.

So, yes, they are available for purchase. However, there is a 90ish day wait after purchase.

I'm still on the fence but, since Pechauer isn't going to give weight options, I may have to go with revo.

Jeff

Jeff, from what I hear everyone at Pechauer is really nice to speak too. Can't you just call in and ask them to make it a specific weight?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff, from what I hear everyone at Pechauer is really nice to speak too. Can't you just call in and ask them to make it a specific weight?

I did and was told that currently they aren't offering custom weight. I've been waiting for a while now. They said they may in the future.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm gonna do at this point.

I may stay with my current revo with added ferrule to it since it's deflection rate is absolutely the same as stock. Only thing is I like a longer (30") and a tad heavier (4 to 4.5 oz) shaft. My revo is only 3.6 to 3.7 depending on scale used and is 29" long.......well, it's actually 29 1/8" long with added ferrule.

I know it doesn't sound like much difference but, to me, it's a huge difference in cb control.

BTW, have you hit with a revo custom by chance?

Jeff

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I did and was told that currently they aren't offering custom weight. I've been waiting for a while now. They said they may in the future.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm gonna do at this point.

I may stay with my current revo with added ferrule to it since it's deflection rate is absolutely the same as stock. Only thing is I like a longer (30") and a tad heavier (4 to 4.5 oz) shaft. My revo is only 3.6 to 3.7 depending on scale used and is 29" long.......well, it's actually 29 1/8" long with added ferrule.

I know it doesn't sound like much difference but, to me, it's a huge difference in cb control.

BTW, have you hit with a revo custom by chance?

Jeff

I haven't as I haven't even seen one in person yet. I still just have my 12.4 Revo but I've tried almost every other cf shaft out there. I now carry the Revo, Meucci CF pro 30" 11.85mm & rogue 29" 11.8mm. I haven't hit with the rogue yet as I don't have a butt yet. I ordered a cue but it's going to take a couple of months because they are busy with the shafts.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ignoring for now the new vault plate option, I am curious if scientifically there is an ideal weight for a Revo?

From what I understand, the current variations in weight for a particular diameter and joint type is due to the amount of foam put in by hand in the front end of the shaft.

So I wonder, what is scientifically, the ideal weight for a Revo? Or perhaps, there is no ideal weight that is beneficial to all and it varies from player to player.

Nonetheless, I think it would be beneficial to understand the advantages / disadvantages of a 3.5 oz revo shaft versus a 4.5 oz revo shaft.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ignoring for now the new vault plate option, I am curious if scientifically there is an ideal weight for a Revo?

From what I understand, the current variations in weight for a particular diameter and joint type is due to the amount of foam put in by hand in the front end of the shaft.

So I wonder, what is scientifically, the ideal weight for a Revo? Or perhaps, there is no ideal weight that is beneficial to all and it varies from player to player.

Nonetheless, I think it would be beneficial to understand the advantages / disadvantages of a 3.5 oz revo shaft versus a 4.5 oz revo shaft.

I've hit with a lot of revos since posting this thread.

I wouldn't trade my 3.6oz for two 4oz revos.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey folks,

I was a bit disappointed when I first learned my revo 12.4 shaft was a good bit lighter than any other revo I had used or heard of.

Before carbon fiber and low deflection shafts in general, I had always liked a shaft that was a minimum of 4.2 oz but no more than 4.4oz because thats what it took to balance my cue to my liking.

Well, since I started this thread, I've learned that my revo is much, much lower in deflection than every other revo it was compared to.

I did encounter a couple that were close. Guess what? They both weighed 3.6 and was 12.9 and uniloc.

My shaft is 12.4 and radial.

Every 12.4 radial revo I have used has a ton more deflection than mine.

Point of this update is:

If you want thd lowest deflection possible from a revo, order it as close to 3.5oz to 3.6oz as possible.

All you guys that like forward balanced cues can add weight with a mid extension or do have a bit of weight added behind the pin of your cue.

Anyways, I know most are thinking it dont matter because EVERY CUE has "x" amount 9f deflection and all you do is ADJUST.

Well, your correct, but...IF your one of the "I want the lowest deflection possible players"......it will make a huge difference...

I'm thinking about ordering one that is 3 oz.

Anyways, don't be afraid to use a very lightweight shaft if your into ld cues.

Have a good one.

Jeff

Last edited:

Terry Aeschliman

Terry Aeschliman
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cf shaft

I'll sell you a carbon fiber tube, 12.4, 30" long and you can make it any weight you want. $80 paypal, I pay shipping and fees.
Terry Aeschliman Galveston Indiana 765 434 5131

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey folks,

I was a bit disappointed when I first learned my revo 12.4 shaft was a good bit lighter than any other revo I had used or heard of.

Before carbon fiber and low deflection shafts in general, I had always liked a shaft that was a minimum of 4.2 oz but no more than 4.4oz because thats what it took to balance my cue to my liking.

Well, since I started this thread, I've learned that my revo is much, much lower in deflection than every other revo it was compared to.

I did encounter a couple that were close. Guess what? They both weighed 3.6 and was 12.9 and uniloc.

My shaft is 12.4 and radial.

Every 12.4 radial revo I have used has a ton more deflection than mine.

Point of this update is:

If you want thd lowest deflection possible from a revo, order it as close to 3.5oz to 3.6oz as possible.

All you guys that like forward balanced cues can add weight with a mid extension or do have a bit of weight added behind the pin of your cue.

Anyways, I know most are thinking it dont matter because EVERY CUE has "x" amount 9f deflection and all you do is ADJUST.

Well, your correct, but...IF your one of the "I want the lowest deflection possible players"......it will make a huge difference...

I'm thinking about ordering one that is 3 oz.

Anyways, don't be afraid to use a very lightweight shaft if your into ld cues.

Have a good one.

Jeff

It's possible your shaft is defective. Unless Predator didn't infuse the resin correctly, it should have the same deflection as any other 12.4. Essentially, if your REVO has a "ton" less than others, I'd be weary that some part of the first ~6 or 8 inches is under developed in some way.

By the shape of the object, I'm skeptical that it could be under infused, especially by a company using degassers, ovens, etc. and it could be possible that the wall thickness is too narrow. The resin is the heaviest part, but since it is very hard to under infuse (it's kind of binary), then the wall thickness would have to be EXTREMELY narrow to the point of near failure.

Are you sure this isn't psychosomatic? I mean a "ton" less deflection? I believe that unless I'm missing some huge (HUGE) variable here, that even a noticeable amount between 12.4 REVO's would be considered defective by Predator, as it's a horrible look for repeatable fabrication (it's very ugly).

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's possible your shaft is defective. Unless Predator didn't infuse the resin correctly, it should have the same deflection as any other 12.4. Essentially, if your REVO has a "ton" less than others, I'd be weary that some part of the first ~6 or 8 inches is under developed in some way.

By the shape of the object, I'm skeptical that it could be under infused, especially by a company using degassers, ovens, etc. and it could be possible that the wall thickness is too narrow. The resin is the heaviest part, but since it is very hard to under infuse (it's kind of binary), then the wall thickness would have to be EXTREMELY narrow to the point of near failure.

Are you sure this isn't psychosomatic? I mean a "ton" less deflection? I believe that unless I'm missing some huge (HUGE) variable here, that even a noticeable amount between 12.4 REVO's would be considered defective by Predator, as it's a horrible look for repeatable fabrication (it's very ugly).

In my head? Nope. Not at all.

Dennis Orcollo hit a couple ballz with it at the Rocket city open in Huntsville and commented on the super low deflection. At the time, I just assumed it was "his skill level that detected the difference".

Well, I've had a couple other top tier players have said the same since then.

BTW.....I called predator and they said it shouldn't be any different than other revos. So, they are more or less saying same as you.

What I do know:

The balance point is further back than any other revo 12.4 radial I've heard of. I took a magnet and the weight is installed three inches further towards the joint end than any other revo I've been able to test.

Is it possible that there could be less foam up front?

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll sell you a carbon fiber tube, 12.4, 30" long and you can make it any weight you want. $80 paypal, I pay shipping and fees.
Terry Aeschliman Galveston Indiana 765 434 5131

I would love to sk you some questions sir.

I will call soon.

Again, thanks for any info/advice you can give sir.

Jeff

Empty403

Registered
I just ordered and received my Predator SP2-3. For the shaft, I optioned for a White vault plate, 29" length, a Navigator Black Extra Soft. I haven't been able to practice with it, yet. As like with others, I chose the WVP, for better sighting.