John Schmidt on American Billiard Radio

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I finally did another episode of American Billiard Radio. I talked to John Schmidt about his trip to Phoenix later this month, where he will spend a month trying to break Mosconi's straight pool record.

You can find the interview at http://poolpodcasts.com

Mike

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Cool. The athlete question is an interesting one. Your body is probably a bigger factor than the type of shaft, chalk, etc.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
what are the parameters of said attempt?
It's mostly within the first two minutes of the podcast, but: six hours a day, five days a week for a month at Bullshooter's in Phoenix on a 9-foot Gold Crown (I think). Runs begin as at Derby City.

billy bones

billy bones
Silver Member
It's mostly within the first two minutes of the podcast, but: six hours a day, five days a week for a month at Bullshooter's in Phoenix on a 9-foot Gold Crown (I think). Runs begin as at Derby City.
Thank you Bob. I will listen soon as I get the time to do so.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob do you happen to know of the parameters that Willie accomplished his run of 526?
There lots of details in the 20 or 30 threads about it, but :grin: ...

He was giving an exhibition in Springfield, Ohio and evidently the only Brunswick table available was a 4x8. His opponent made three balls, and Willie ran out then was encouraged to keep shooting. He missed a ball about three hours later having run 526. I have heard the pockets variously described as normal to generous.

(Edit: affidavit copied below)

Here is an example previous thread from 2005 with some good info and a lot of screaming (as usual ;)):
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=15135

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is the image from the Smithsonian website. It is in the collection "Willie Mosconi Papers" which you can search through on-line if interested at the "Guide to the Willie Mosconi Papers" :
https://sova.si.edu/details/NMAH.AC.0744?s=0&n=10&t=C&q=&i=0
(Note that from the cryptic nature of the link, it might be subject to change. If it doesn't work, you will have to do a search on the si.edu website.)

MosconiFirstPageTrimmed.jpg

Last edited:

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to add a few more details to those Bob thoughtfully contributed, I saw this post by room-owner, Mike Bates, on the Bull Shooters Facebook page:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael J. Bates
February 28 at 2:01 PM
Bull Shooters is always working hard to be the best. Whether it's darts or pool we want to be #1. In keeping up with that we have partnered with Mr. 400 John Schmidt to try to set the world record in running balls. He has run over 400 5 times and 434 is his high. He will be here from the 3rd week in March until the 3rd week in April playing 5 days a week (Sunday thru Thursday) from Noon until at least 6 pm. If you don't know him, stop by, he will run racks every day and also entertain those who stop by. Put it on your calendar....Only at Bull Shooters....
------------------------------------------------------------------------
. . . and the excellent radio interview with John provides the remaining details -- if his March-April attempts to surpass Willie's record doesn't do it, John will be back to try again during a period lasting from May 5th thru June 5th.

Arnaldo

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to add a few more details to those Bob thoughtfully contributed, I saw this post by room-owner, Mike Bates, on the Bull Shooters Facebook page:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael J. Bates
February 28 at 2:01 PM
Bull Shooters is always working hard to be the best. Whether it's darts or pool we want to be #1. In keeping up with that we have partnered with Mr. 400 John Schmidt to try to set the world record in running balls. He has run over 400 5 times and 434 is his high. He will be here from the 3rd week in March until the 3rd week in April playing 5 days a week (Sunday thru Thursday) from Noon until at least 6 pm. If you don't know him, stop by, he will run racks every day and also entertain those who stop by. Put it on your calendar....Only at Bull Shooters....
------------------------------------------------------------------------
. . . and the excellent radio interview with John provides the remaining details -- if his March-April attempts to surpass Willie's record doesn't do it, John will be back to try again during a period lasting from May 5th thru June 5th.

Arnaldo
I wish him well, but I imagine it will be very hard for John to break the record under these conditions, with the distractions coming from an open business and all the curious customers, many who may not have the sense or etiquette to respect his space. Hopefully since it's during daytime hours, they'll keep an open table on both sides of the table he's playing on, and make some attempt to keep onlookers who don't know better from invading his working space around his table. This is particularly critical that he has someone there to fend off potential distractors, once he's in the process of a long run, so that he can focus 100% on what he's doing.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really enjoyed listening to the podcast. Highly recommend.

If John ever retires from competing, the pool media companies should snatch him up to be their lead voice. He voice is smooth behind the mic, he knows all games inside and out, and he's damn interesting to listen to!

IMO:)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wish him well, but I imagine it will be very hard for John to break the record under these conditions, with the distractions coming from an open business and all the curious customers, many who may not have the sense or etiquette to respect his space. Hopefully since it's during daytime hours, they'll keep an open table on both sides of the table he's playing on, and make some attempt to keep onlookers who don't know better from invading his working space around his table. This is particularly critical that he has someone there to fend off potential distractors, once he's in the process of a long run, so that he can focus 100% on what he's doing.
John seems not to be as bothered by things going on around him as many. In addition, I think most of the time -- noon to 6 -- will be fairly quiet at Bullshooters. I watched a session at Easy Street in Monterey and I don't think there was ever a problem caused by customers.

On the other hand, one player in a 14.1 league I used to play in was bothered by someone walking around a table three tables away.:eek: It was a real pain to play against him.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd love to see John break the record. Is there a cash bounty on the 526?

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finally did another episode of American Billiard Radio. I talked to John Schmidt about his trip to Phoenix later this month, where he will spend a month trying to break Mosconi's straight pool record.

You can find the interview at http://poolpodcasts.com

Mike

How 'bout one with Greg Sullivan? Looks like the Derby was a success this year given the ever increasing amount of people signing up. Any new news on trying a second event again? Such as NOLA, not Atlantic City :thumbup: