Anyone want to help beta test the new forum platform?

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I didn’t know they had switched, but I checked and they are running the same software.

This platform is much better supported by the company that wrote it, and by coders who write plugins for it.

We are currently running a very outdated forum system. Since it was going to be a migration process to either an updated version of the current platform or to this new platform, I think we are better off migrating.

The mobile looks good and we will get Tapatalk running on it too. I will also look into our own mobile app again, since it was removed from the App Store.

Mike

This appears to be the same software that onepocket.org forums now run on. It took just a little getting used to but I think it's a lot better.

It does have the feature that if you somehow leave an edit, it saves a draft for you. Another is that it keeps track of read/unread for each thread with a simple way to mark everything read if you have seen enough. And images are a lot easier.

I've got no idea about the mobile interface.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like it :thumbup:
Sherdog my favorite mma forum uses this, there are some cool functions like alerts when people like or quote your post(instead of having to look through the whole thread to see if someone had replied like on Vbullentin).

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I looks like the main site page in many ways. I'm guessing the goal was a nice "clean" look, and perhaps it may be to many people and I'm in the minority, but all I see is white, bright, washed out, not nearly enough delineation between things, and difficult to look at and navigate. The entire color scheme appears to consist of white, bright white, pure white, eggshell white, off white, ivory, snow white, cream, cloud white, vanilla, chalk white, and then the black text.

I feel like I'm at the top of Mt. Everest during a blizzard and can't discern one thing from another because everything is just white everywhere. Also like on Everest, I feel like I need to put on sunglasses to prevent "snow blindness" while looking at the site. It needs some color and shading, and needs much stronger delineation between the various parts of the site and between posts etc. Just my opinion.

Good Sam

Registered
I like it. Just clicking around, I clicked on the"Members" tab at the top and it told me "oops something went wrong" and then the tab went away. Also seems to work well on my Kindle and also my android phone with Firefox. Looks amazing on both also.

Last edited:

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Best part is the bread crumb links are at the bottom too. no more having to scroll all the way back to the top!

From a programmer's point of view everyone should understand the most important think is to make sure it works first. If it doesn't work right nobody will want to use it. If it is "ugly" you might not like it but you can still use it. The candy coating gets updated and tweaked as we use it and give suggestions. We are comfortable with what we know and some people tend to resist change. I always find it funny how some people complain about how a program is working and then complain about the new fixed version because some things are done differently.

I played around a little. I changed my circle letter to my avatar. I don't have a major problem with the circle, but I do like the square better. Circles work fine it you are mostly using a picture of a person, but most of the avatars here fit better in a square. I also like the mini avatar to show which threads you have replied to.

Keep up the good work. We'll try to be patient as you come up to speed and smooth out the kinks.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Looks similiar to some other hobby forums I'm involved in. I would see if there's a better way to separate the stickies like we have now (color coded, e.g.). The first half of the first page is eaten up by decade old threads. Just my .02.

I think it's a good step forward, Mike. Lookin forward to it.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
OK, I got the test posts that were made approved. Still trying to figure out why they required approval.

Do you guys really think a dark mode would be good? I've never used one.

Mike

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I think the lions share of forums I use has a dark mode for those that offer a mobile app at least. It’s too hard on my eyes, but I know people who use it exclusively.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the Main Forum, there are 13 permanent threads. Starting with "New Here" down to "Forum Rules". Loose 'em. Please put all in one sub thread.

Last edited:

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
each request made, takes more than a few seconds to figure out how to do and where to fix it in the code.

Just supporting AzHousePro as fellow tech person.

Please encourage and say something positive to the tech person.

Having good programming skills is like being a master trick shot artist.

There is only one AzHousePro, number one programmer in billiards.

Billiards throws an award party for best tech user in billiards. Its AZBilliards for social media category, tournament watchlist category, active user forum and great photos and articles.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the Main Forum, there are 13 permanent threads, New Here to Forum Rules. Loose 'em. Please put that all one sub thread.

Agree. There are so many sticky threads, and many of them are redundant rules. I think all the rules ones should be completely re-written, and then locked. Maybe put them not even in the forum, but in that section a lot of forums have somewhere on the side where they have the "rules".

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally hate the "dark mode". Apple switched to it for their Mac's a few years ago, and I immediately turned it off.

BUT, I know lots like it. Maybe you can have a couple of options the users can set on their user control panel?

justnum

Silver Member
if its a wishlist being offered,
than might as well go for live internet conference.

Is there a button for billiard enthusiasts/investors/consumers unite for demonstrating marketing potential to other industries?

First Annual Internet conference for Global Billiards Dominance

Primary Talk: Which Aiming system is trending

Sponsor Talk: Free Demo for CJ and other coaching pros

Industry Talk: Billiard Tables: how and why you should buy used

Social Talk: How to play as a wolf in sheeps clothing?

Counter Culture Talk: Racking systems and how to cheat your children

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Can someone go over there and try making a post again? Let me know if it says the post needs to be moderated?

Thanks,
Mike

justnum

Silver Member
Can someone go over there and try making a post again? Let me know if it says the post needs to be moderated?

Thanks,
Mike

i posted in main with a pic, no message.

no conversations or alerts.

not sure where to locate moderated message?