what percentage of shots do you hit with open/closed bridge?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can get an extended shaft, or an extension which would put the additional weight in front. Holding the cue long might be temporarily out of your tactile comfort zone but I believe accuracy is a function of stroke which, is a function of letting the cue be its perfectly linear self.
Hitting a ball at most shots involves forces in the range of poking your finger into somebone's belly. You'll find poking at the ball from 15" quite effortless. Don't wind up all the way like Melling and you should be fine. Even guys with no windup - Hopkins FI, use the long bridge. It does work.

interesting..tried to hit you with the pm and got
"straightline has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

at any rate, for I'm sure several reasons
using a spear just doesn't appeal to me
but I like that about cues..
how customized we can make them
to suit our individual needs
I'm also sure one one of the og spear users, earl the pearl
would agree :thumbup:
so go hog wild on yours..I hope it helps your game!

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know the percentage.
All I know is that when I get down on the shot I
unconsciously use an open or closed bridge.
I never think about it as in do I use open or closed.
It's like my body just knows what to do to make
a comfortable effective stroke when I get down on the shot.
If I rationalize it though, I think the closed bridge is much more substantial and solid.

I'm the same way. I have no idea what percentage I use for each- it is an unconscious decision for me. I'll have to watch some videos of myself to really know.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm the same way. I have no idea what percentage I use for each- it is an unconscious decision for me. I'll have to watch some videos of myself to really know.

Funny.
I've been thinking about this thread while I have been playing these last couple of days.
I find that if I am reaching, I am using an open bridge.
Apparently my mind knows I am going to reach
and my body automatically goes open bridge.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
interesting..tried to hit you with the pm and got
"straightline has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

at any rate, for I'm sure several reasons
using a spear just doesn't appeal to me
but I like that about cues..
how customized we can make them
to suit our individual needs
I'm also sure one one of the og spear users, earl the pearl
would agree :thumbup:
so go hog wild on yours..I hope it helps your game!

Hmm. There are no notifications here so I guess I never bothered. Prolly get a bunch of hate mail. Hmm... K. I'll go enable 'em.

Miner kue ist al 58 inchen. I get the extension by going to the butt cap if necessary. I've seen 60" 50/50 cues but they are a 100 bucks more starters.

Anyway more to defend my pref than to convert anyone:
Get to a 12 footer. set up a corner shot with the cue ball just in reach of the tip. Lay the stick on the shot. Are you already on the prosthetic bridge or will you attempt to shoot the shot anyway?

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
generally-speaking

I'd say 80/20 for myself
would be more open, if I could stay off the rail better :p

Personally i like the closed bridge, especially for power shots.
I use the filipino style closed bridge where my index finger is pressed on my middle finger.

To sum it up , i use closed bridge in these situation ,
near the rails , almost all draw shots and especially power draw to prevent my shaft from flying up and center ball hits which require more power.

For slightly higher follow shots , i prefer a open bridge for better sighting as a close bridge blocks my sight of the cue ball .
Just sharing my preference :)

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally i like the closed bridge, especially for power shots.
I use the filipino style closed bridge where my index finger is pressed on my middle finger.

To sum it up , i use closed bridge in these situation ,
near the rails , almost all draw shots and especially power draw to prevent my shaft from flying up and center ball hits which require more power.

For slightly higher follow shots , i prefer a open bridge for better sighting as a close bridge blocks my sight of the cue ball .
Just sharing my preference :)

Couple questions:

Doesn't this bridge force the stroke to the outside? My fingers are slightly too short for that bridge and will torque the shaft unfavorably.

Are you Efren? :D

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm. There are no notifications here so I guess I never bothered. Prolly get a bunch of hate mail. Hmm... K. I'll go enable 'em.

Miner kue ist al 58 inchen. I get the extension by going to the butt cap if necessary. I've seen 60" 50/50 cues but they are a 100 bucks more starters.

Anyway more to defend my pref than to convert anyone:
Get to a 12 footer. set up a corner shot with the cue ball just in reach of the tip. Lay the stick on the shot. Are you already on the prosthetic bridge or will you attempt to shoot the shot anyway?

no proselytizing from this side..not in this case, anyway ^_^
in response tho, a few questions come to my mind-
should I keep a long cue for just a handful of shots?
can I use a bridge/extension for those funky ones?
can I get good position,
to avoid those funky ones in the first place?
and re: 12 feet
what's ronnie doing right now, I wonder? :p

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no proselytizing from this side..not in this case, anyway ^_^
in response tho, a few questions come to my mind-
should I keep a long cue for just a handful of shots?
can I use a bridge/extension for those funky ones?
can I get good position,
to avoid those funky ones in the first place?
and re: 12 feet
what's ronnie doing right now, I wonder? :p

Yeah proselytizing - sounds like how cue balls are made. (googuh it later :D)

First it's been a good 30 yrs since I've had a 12 footer available to even go wading but you seem to have the requisite indecision all ready. :) Short answer: dunno.

Although, being unpro and a weakened warrior (intended)) at best, I have the luxury :rolleyes: of sticking to ideals. So perfect shape/pocketing/whatevuh, keep on truckin'.
Prose doanoe wutt dey missing.

The long cue - lance ? - up to your sense of craft. I recommend long bridge cause it's easy, cheap and non destructive.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah proselytizing - sounds like how cue balls are made. (googuh it later :D)

First it's been a good 30 yrs since I've had a 12 footer available to even go wading but you seem to have the requisite indecision all ready. :) Short answer: dunno.

Although, being unpro and a weakened warrior (intended)) at best, I have the luxury :rolleyes: of sticking to ideals. So perfect shape/pocketing/whatevuh, keep on truckin'.
Prose doanoe wutt dey missing.

The long cue - lance ? - up to your sense of craft. I recommend long bridge cause it's easy, cheap and non destructive.

haha oof
I just meant to defend my prefs too
that's what I get for answering questions with questions?
I am fairly decided in my indecision- tho there's always room for more (un)certainty ^_^
ps sticky ideals>sticky shafts