????Original Color of Money Joss Cue

Ball Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi

I posted this in an other forum here but didn't get an answer. I am posting it here because this forum gets more views.

Does the Joss Color of Money Cue have any collectors Value and if so what might be the price range??? BTW this has the Gold Joss name on the joint and they still match up.

I know older Joss cues that still play good hold their value. Since I promised this cue to my adult son, I have no desire to sell it. I played with this cue for many years and it is still in great shape.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im sorry but the color of money does not have any gold lettering on it. The N-7 has been brought back in production and you can buy them brand new from 600 to 850.00 depending what site you wish to visit . Does the N-7 you have have Joss and serial number engraved on the stainless steel joint ?

As far as selling it im not sure its only worth as much as the buyer wants to pay for it. Maybe you can post a few pics to veriy that its a replica. If its the original N-7 then yes it has alot of value. BTW when did you buy this Cue ?

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
The original cue used in the movie was a modified Joss J-18, which had gold lettering.

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
After the movie came out there was a limited production amount of this cue that came with a case for sale, they went for 1200 i think those are worth a bit more.............they were numbered

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So they modifed a J-18 To make it look like the N-7 ? And maybe there for the birth of the N-7 ? And to think i thought i had it figure out lol !!!!!!!!!!

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I'm not sure of the exact history, hell... I don't know squat about cues. lol... I just did a google search and found a lot of information, to include that the cue used was a J-18. I am not sure what was modified, but the links I found say that the J-18 had gold lettering. I am guessing that a J-18 would be worth a hell of a lot more than an N-7. I know nothing about cue collecting, so I'm only guessing.

I am guessing that the N-7 was the production or replica model. IIRC, the N-7 came out in the 90's, but I rarely rely upon my drain bamaged memory for anything, never mind cue history.
:)

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Color of money cue

The original color of money cue was similar to a Joss model of the time J-18. I say similar because the J-18's had inlays in the points. The movie cue had no inlays in the points. The J-18 model was made in the 80's I know there were a couple of custom copies of the Movie cue made by Dan Janes for people that requested them.
In the mid to late 90's they did a modern version of the Movie cue released as the N-7. I have owned a J-18 a couple of years back it was worth about 750 Today depending on condition my guess you would be lucky to get 500 because of the soft market. just my .02

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I've asked Dan Janes about the "COM" cue several times over the years. There was no "production" or "limited" run of the cue that was made for The Color of Money. He made that cue specifically for the movie. I think he mentioned that Newman and Cruise got one of these cues, as well as some members of the staff. Otherwise, it was not available for purchase, and he WILL NOT make another one. He gets daily offers to build that exact cue for thousands of dollars and will not do it.

Ball Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi

http://www.discountpoolcues.com/colorofMoney.htm

The Joss Cue I have has no serial number on the SS joint but it has "JOSS custom" in gold letters on both the shaft and butt joint that match up. It has 4 diamond shaped inlays just above the wrap and centered in bottom of the points just like the Cue shown in the link above. The only difference is the placement of the Joss Logo.

Interesting enough a Older guy I play with has the same cue with the same Forearm design but below the wrap there is no design on his cue. He claims his was purchased in 1986 or before the Movie. I got my Joss cue about 1994 from a individual who might not of been the original owner. With the exception of a few very small dings right at the Bumper where it was hit on the floor, It looks new.

I was under the impression this Cue was the real deal. But I see there is some question about whether it is or not. If need be I will send it back to Joss for their opinion. I don't think Joss started making the replica model before 1994 when I got this stick. But I could be wrong about this Cue. If in fact this is worth something, Then I got one heck of a good deal. If the Stick is just an other Joss I didn't do bad either. But I would like know what the true value of the stick is. I realize the Market is soft and have no desire to sell it since it is promised to my son. At the same time I have a daughter who I don't want to cheat when I pocket the last big 8 Ball.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
That is NOT the cue used in TCOM. The points were higher on the original. There were no inlays in the points of the cue, and the veneer colours are wrong. There also was NO JOSS LOGO on the cue used in the movie. It was also a white with black speck wrap on the movie cue. Just email Dan at Joss - dan@josscues.com. He'll let you know about the cue.

Ball Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've asked Dan Janes about the "COM" cue several times over the years. There was no "production" or "limited" run of the cue that was made for The Color of Money. He made that cue specifically for the movie. I think he mentioned that Newman and Cruise got one of these cues, as well as some members of the staff. Otherwise, it was not available for purchase, and he WILL NOT make another one. He gets daily offers to build that exact cue for thousands of dollars and will not do it.

Shawn

Regardless the N 7 has been Known for years as the C.O.M. Cue. I am sure Paul Newman's Personal Cue would have a big Market. The Story I heard 2nd hand from Earl Strickland was, Once he saw Tom Cruise twirl his Balabushka Cue and put a small ding in the Butt Plate, He stopped them from using it. The movie being shot in the Baltimore area went to Joss and took production run cues which was the N 7 and now known as the C.O.M. Cue. If they made special Cues For the movie stars then so be it. The N 7 is still known as the C.O.M. Cue.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No need to email him, Just go to www.josscues.com and click on cues and you will see a link to the N-7'S that are for sale on that website you can clearly see the diffrence in the link you posted and the cue on joss website.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
Shawn

Regardless the N 7 has been Known for years as the C.O.M. Cue. I am sure Paul Newman's Personal Cue would have a big Market. The Story I heard 2nd hand from Earl Strickland was, Once he saw Tom Cruise twirl his Balabushka Cue and put a small ding in the Butt Plate, He stopped them from using it. The movie being shot in the Baltimore area went to Joss and took production run cues which was the N 7 and now known as the C.O.M. Cue. If they made special Cues For the movie stars then so be it. The N 7 is still known as the C.O.M. Cue.

Learn your facts. They had Dan make the cue because Mike Sigel was the technical advisor to the film, and he worked for Joss. The reason they didn't use a real Balabushka was because Scorcese didn't want Tom twirling a $10k cue.

So, to answer your question, your cue is worth about $300-$400 in a good market. Just like any other Joss with the same level of detail.

skor

missing shots since 1995
Silver Member
Maybe I can help a bit.

As said, your cue is not the real thing, you can see how the real thing looked here:

com.jpg

So where is the original cue?

Well here it is.....
In 2002 the "Jordan River Village" was founded in Israel which is "where seriously ill children can just be kids" this place is part of the HITW that was started by Paul Newman.

To kick start it a public auction took place. Paul Newman donated the original Joss "Balabushka" cue which was signed by him and Tom Cruise and was sold that night for $7000

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
Maybe I can help a bit.

As said, your cue is not the real thing, you can see how the real thing looked here:

com.jpg

So where is the original cue?

Well here it is.....
In 2002 the "Jordan River Village" was founded in Israel which is "where seriously ill children can just be kids" this place is part of the HITW that was started by Paul Newman.

To kick start it a public auction took place. Paul Newman donated the original Joss "Balabushka" cue which was signed by him and Tom Cruise and was sold that night for $7000

Hey - look at that! Points are higher, no inlays in the points, different coloured veneers, AND a white with black speck wrap. Oh, and NO JOSS LOGO. Maybe I kinda knew what I was talking about?

Nice gesture on behalf of Tom and Paul.

Ball Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok Guys

Explain this.

http://www.discountpoolcues.com/colorofMoney.htm

The above looks like my Cue.

http://www.josscues.com/html/cues/Current_Line/N7.html

This Cue looks much different yet both are advertised as the C.O.M. JOSS Cue

Yes I agree the actual picture Skor posted looks more like the second link I posted but still is not the same.

Sorry but I am more confused now than I was when I started.

PS Yes Paul Newman was a very giving person and I buy his salad dressings both because they are good and the profit helps those less fortunate.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Sorry but I am more confused now than I was when I started.

What is there to be confused about?

The cue from the movie was made my Joss/Dan Janes. It is basically the same as the Joss J18, in the movie its called a Balabushka - it has no markings - but we know who made it. The cue was made circa 1984-1985. This cue was never mass produced.

The Joss N7 line came out around the early to mid 1990's, and marketed as TCOM cue. That is probably what you have. Several people here have given you information about the cue, and more information is available if you search this forum and Google.

In production models, often times you will find cues of the same model with subtle differences. No two cues are exactly the same.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is there to be confused about?

The cue from the movie was made my Joss/Dan Janes. It is basically the same as the Joss J18, in the movie its called a Balabushka - it has no markings - but we know who made it. The cue was made circa 1984-1985. This cue was never mass produced.

The Joss N7 line came out around the early to mid 1990's, and marketed as TCOM cue. That is probably what you have. Several people here have given you information about the cue, and more information is available if you search this forum and Google.

In production models, often times you will find cues of the same model with subtle differences. No two cues are exactly the same.

If I remember what Dan said about the COM cue, there were three of them made to be used in the movie. All three were auctioned off for charity at one time or another. There are others here who know more about the "replicas", so to speak, than me. Some of them have not posted as of yet.
Someone, I forget who, had one that was the same, I think.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan Janes said that he will never make the exact COM cue other than the one made for the Movie. The N-7 cue is the closest it will get to the COM cue. The website that you showed us that has the cue simliar to your is using false avertising.

The COM cue has no holly inlays in the points As you can see just like pics pointed out. The N-7 has holly inlays on the points so they can not be passed off as the Orignal COM cue its more like counterfit proof.

So again the N-7 is as close to the orignal COM it will ever get, all becuse the N-7 has been known as the COM cue does not mean it really is. Your cue and the website that has pics like your cue are in fact not even a replica of the COM cue.

And one last thing the N-7 is a (close) replica and not an exact replica of the COM.