Classiest Player

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
The thread by Bill Porter with players pictured in tux's got me curious, who do you consider the classiest living player and the classiest deceased player. My vote is:

Living -Jim Rempe
Deceased - Irving Crane

Your thoughts?

JIm

Fleece3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jhendri2 said:
The thread by Bill Porter with players pictured in tux's got me curious, who do you consider the classiest living player and the classiest deceased player. My vote is:

Living -Jim Rempe
Deceased - Irving Crane

Your thoughts?

JIm

Living - Tony Robles
Deceased - ?????

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Living - almost too close to call between Robles and Souquet, but I'll go with Ralf Souqeut.

Deceased - Irving Crane

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
sjm said:
Living - almost too close to call between Robles and Souquet, but I'll go with Ralf Souqeut.

Deceased - Irving Crane

I didn't think about Souquet, but you may be right. What a great player and classy player for the game!

Jim

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
Deceased - Jimmy Caras
Present - Dawn Hopkins and Tony Robles

I guess when you define "class" you mean players with a people-minded personality, but there's more to it.

Barbara

Last edited:

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
Several people voting for Robles. I've never met him or heard him in an interview. Now I'm curious.

Jim

Last edited:
i'm good friends with tony robles, and he even texted me happy turkey day, but have to call a tie with he and thorsten.

dead= johhny ervolino..........NOT!

rg

breakup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If some of sjm's demeanor came from his association with Mr. Crane my vote would have to go to The Deacon in the deceased category.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
breakup said:
If some of sjm's demeanor came from his association with Mr. Crane my vote would have to go to The Deacon in the deceased category.

Thank you for this most generous comment. I've always believed that Irving positively influenced both my playing philosophy and my demeanor at and away from the table.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
There are and were many of them.

Allision Fisher, George Breedlove, The Striking Viking, Tony Robles

Crane. Johnnyt

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Seems a nice time to give credit to another incredibly classy player named Dick Lane.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting suggestion

sjm said:
Seems a nice time to give credit to another incredibly classy player named Dick Lane.
Wow, for some reason I never thought of Dick even though I've known him for many years. But you're right, Dickie is always a class act in terms of appearance and behavior. Allison Fisher, even though I've never really been one of her fans, has to rank high as well. Irving Crane and Jimmy Caras are tied in my mind among deceased players. You know, it would be amusing to nominate living players that are among the lowest on this dimension, but it would be sure to stir up trouble!:D

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
BillPorter said:
Wow, for some reason I never thought of Dick even though I've known him for many years. But you're right, Dickie is always a class act in terms of appearance and behavior. Allison Fisher, even though I've never really been one of her fans, has to rank high as well. Irving Crane and Jimmy Caras are tied in my mind among deceased players. You know, it would be amusing to nominate living players that are among the lowest on this dimension, but it would be sure to stir up trouble!:D
I think I know who would get that honor.:D Johnnyt

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
sjm said:

Dick Lane is awesome also. With this inspiration I just put in my Accu-stat tape of Dick Lane v Ralph Souquet. I've always respected our opinion sjm. Dick Lane, Jimmy Caras and Irving Crane may be the three classiest of all time.

Jim

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
branpureza said:
tony robles
mike davis
tommy kennedy

I've met Tommy Kennedy and he's defintely one of the nicest US Open champions. He's great fun to be around.

Jim