intermediate players: who many times can you run 6 balls in rotation ?

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love this drill, (I guess its a drill). just throw 6 random balls on the table and start with ball in hand, and shoot in rotation. sometime I only get one rack, sometimes two or three.
I think my best in 6 in a row before a mistake In position.

just wondering how my fellow intermediate brothers do in this drill:)

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I could never beat the 9 ball ghost in a race to seven so I started playing the 6 ball ghost. Initially I couldn't beat this ghost either … now I can handily. I went back to the 9 ball ghost who I still can't beat regularly.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never tried that drill.
I offered the ghost the 8 and the break in 9 ball.
He never showed up.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I love this drill, (I guess its a drill). just throw 6 random balls on the table and start with ball in hand, and shoot in rotation. sometime I only get one rack, sometimes two or three.
I think my best in 6 in a row before a mistake In position.

just wondering how my fellow intermediate brothers do in this drill:)

Have you been doing this skill test?

https://youtu.be/AgdrAwaaCBU

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think with 6 balls and BIH (and if one drops while throwing them on the table I'd throw it back randomly), I'd run out about 1 of 3 attempts.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I'd be in the 1 out of 3, 1 out of 4 camp...likely... Some days better than that, some days not so much.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just did a race to 7 with the 6 ball ghost throwing the balls on the table (making sure 6 always remained). I did better than I thought, and won 7-5.

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes its tom lowrys test. thats where I got it from. I did real well on 3-4-5 balls, but 6 is tough if I dont cheat:embarrassed2::embarrassed2::embarrassed2:

but for me its a tremendous drill as im learning to not let the cue ball roam all over the table. im getting better at cue ball control with this drill.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If none of the balls are touching or blocking each other. it’s really quite simple, make sure you’re challenging your self with some troubles on it. I guess I’m saying make sure your random placements are truly random! That’s the only difference between 6 or 9 ball ghost, the extra few balls gives you more trouble areas not because you can’t make 9 in a row but because you need a breakout or pinpoint shape occasionally

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love this drill, (I guess its a drill). just throw 6 random balls on the table and start with ball in hand, ...
Instead of that, try breaking nine ball as usual and removing the low balls until there are 6 left. That way you will be dealing with more realistic layouts. The general method is called "progressive nine ball ghost" or "progressive rotation ghost" if you manage to get to 10 or more balls. It's been around for fifteen or twenty years as a standard practice technique.

If you can't beat the 6-ball ghost in a race to, say, 11, you have to go back to the 5-ball ghost. You have to earn your advancement.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Instead of that, try breaking nine ball as usual and removing the low balls until there are 6 left. That way you will be dealing with more realistic layouts. The general method is called "progressive nine ball ghost" or "progressive rotation ghost" if you manage to get to 10 or more balls. It's been around for fifteen or twenty years as a standard practice technique.

If you can't beat the 6-ball ghost in a race to, say, 11, you have to go back to the 5-ball ghost. You have to earn your advancement.

Bob this compliments what I said about the randomness, I’ve seen too many people throw balls out then spread them out with their cue even more, random needs to be random

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob this compliments what I said about the randomness, I’ve seen too many people throw balls out then spread them out with their cue even more, random needs to be random

I'm too lazy to rack and break. What I do if I'm keeping score like this, is take 4 balls in each hand, throw them at each other near mid table, and when they stop, remove the lowest numbered balls until 6 remain. Even doing this, and trying to throw them hard to make it as random as possible, a lot of the balls end up zig zagging near center table and/or fall in the side pockets.

Still, it beats bending over racking every few minutes when practicing by yourself. Especially if your game is at the level where you might break and run 1 out of 50 racks, so the break means nothing.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm too lazy to rack and break. What I do if I'm keeping score like this, is take 4 balls in each hand, throw them at each other near mid table, and when they stop, remove the lowest numbered balls until 6 remain. Even doing this, and trying to throw them hard to make it as random as possible, a lot of the balls end up zig zagging near center table and/or fall in the side pockets.

Still, it beats bending over racking every few minutes when practicing by yourself. Especially if your game is at the level where you might break and run 1 out of 50 racks, so the break means nothing.

Practice your breaks and cueball controll, it’s just as important

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes bob. when I put the 6 balls in pre determined spots, I can easily make all 6 balls. your right, when I throw them out in a scatter pattern, thats when It gets difficult.

I will now start breaking each time and removing balls. thanks for the advice.