Anyone playing with McDermott I shafts?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with an I-3 in the mid 2000’s for about one year. I thought it was very close to a predator shaft (which I played with before and after). IDK if they are the same now or if they changed them.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I played with an I-3 in the mid 2000’s for about one year. I thought it was very close to a predator shaft (which I played with before and after). IDK if they are the same now or if they changed them.

I got this roll of shafts from a friends wife for me to sell for her if I could and there were I-1,2s and 3s in it. Just from looking tip diameter was different but it was a good looking shaft two of which fit my Schon. Since Im not going to the Pool Room now on account of covid I have little to go on.

They appear to be pretty expensive from what I saw. I also had a z2 in there and an old OB with the wood ferrule.

What made you switch from them?

Scrunge19

Registered
I played with an I-2 shaft for a long time and liked it. Only switched because I bought a custom cue/switched from McDermott to Mezz.

One thing I did notice; however, is that over time my McDermott shafts had a tendency to get a slight roll in them. I’m talking really slight. I’m not sure why, but I had two g-cores and one of my I-2 shafts develop them. But McDermott’s warranty is excellent and they replaced them every time.

Last edited:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with an I-2 shaft for a long time and liked it. Only switched because I bought a custom cue/switched from McDermott to Mezz.

One thing I did notice; however, is that over time my McDermott shafts had a tendency to get a slight roll in them. I’m talking really slight. I’m not sure why, but I had two g-cores and one of my I-2 shafts develop them. But McDermott’s warranty isn’t excellent and they replaced them every time.

Believe you meant warranty "is: excellent 😉
I guess I am lucky I have never had a McD shaft warp. I play g core and 31" i2.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got this roll of shafts from a friends wife for me to sell for her if I could and there were I-1,2s and 3s in it. Just from looking tip diameter was different but it was a good looking shaft two of which fit my Schon. Since Im not going to the Pool Room now on account of covid I have little to go on.

They appear to be pretty expensive from what I saw. I also had a z2 in there and an old OB with the wood ferrule.

What made you switch from them?

I got them I think when they first came out. It might have been 2005 or so. I had been using the 314 and Z since about 1998. I saw the ad for the I series in a magazine at the pool hall and decided to give it a try. I kept the I-3 as my playing shaft for about 1 year. Then the ferrule started cracking. I was doing cue repair at the time, and I tried to fix it. But upon cutting it off, I saw there was a carbon fiber tube that also broke. So I couldn't fix it. I ended up buying another new I-3 as a partial shaft, and I was going to put a joint on it, and make it 30" long. I never got around to it. That partial I-3 I found somewhere in my stash about 5 years ago and it had a slight warp to it. I was going to sell it on here, but the warp wouldn't make it worthwhile for someone to spend money to put a joint on it, imo.

Anyway, long way around I had a bunch of predator shafts from before, so when the I-3 ferrule broke, I just went back to them. And have been with the Predator brand since.

The I-2 was close to the 314, and the I-3 was closer to the Z. The I-1 was more like the predator Fat shaft, or their break shaft at the time. The street price at the time was just a few bucks under the predator line. I think the predator was about 180 street price, and the I3 maybe 170.

Scrunge19

Registered
Believe you meant warranty "is: excellent 😉
I guess I am lucky I have never had a McD shaft warp. I play g core and 31" i2.

You’re right, I meant to say their warranty IS excellent. Despite having to send a couple shafts back, I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase another one of their cues in the future. However, like I said I’ve moved on to two other brands that I plan on sticking with for the future so I’ve put my McDermott away for now.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the I shafts for all the trick shot stuff and they hold up to that punishment. I use the I2 for pretty much everything, but use the I3 for the 2mm draw shots. Having the thinner shaft really helps with that particular shot. Maybe the 1st generation had some issues but I have had mine for about 5 years now and haven't had an issue with them. But as with anything, its a preference.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I use the I shafts for all the trick shot stuff and they hold up to that punishment. I use the I2 for pretty much everything, but use the I3 for the 2mm draw shots. Having the thinner shaft really helps with that particular shot. Maybe the 1st generation had some issues but I have had mine for about 5 years now and haven't had an issue with them. But as with anything, its a preference.

When you say 2 mm draw are you talking about StunDraw for 2 mm?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I got a chance to play with 2-I shafts yesterday. The I-2 and I-3.

Loved the 3, the 2 not nearly as much but its ok for a low deflection hit.

The cue used was a Schon. It was the best I'd broken one pocket from the first break. When I needed to really spin the ball it did everything I asked it to do. The smaller ferrule and smaller diameter work for me much better than I figured they would. Very impressed with the I 3. :)

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
If there is a referee I can see that there would definitely be a crossover for these shots into competition.

I called a shot a foul on a guy back before the pandemic that was close like that (one pocket) and it resulted in us quitting.
He shot dead at it full in the face and I told it was going to be a foul and he insisted that he was going to shoot it quick
and jerk his stick back and I couldn't even get him to approach it from an angle. I put him in the trap on purpose. If he was going
to get out of traps like that there wasn't much use of going on. One of the many reasons I dislike gambling. I have no intention
of making a living playing and don't need the mess.

crazy8legs

Registered
I hit with one (i2) several times about 12-13 years ago. I thought it hit really good. Defection and feel were good. The only problem was it only came in 3/8x10 and they were pricey (more than a 314 if my memory serves correct).

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk