ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
"When will you get home she asked", "when I miscue" was my reply

LOL. Priceless.

nsafellow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As someone who just started playing pool, I read all of these posts with a lot of interest.

How many of you pay $30 to have a Kamui tip installed?
You could get away with a $2 tip just as well

How many pay $400 for a cue or more?
You could get away with a $100 cue just as well

How many buy a $200 case for your cues?
You could get away with a $20 case just as well

We all make choices of what to use and play with but the chalk one seems to really affect people the most.....or at least they are the most vocal about.

I have gone thru all of the chalks and picked Kamui chalk and use only Kamui tips on my shooters.(there is another story) It works for me....Six months of use and it shows only a small amount of wear....it is a learned method of application not the same as applying other chalk. 1 piece will last me a long long time.

I dont apply it on every shot but I check my tip before every shot that requires anything other than a center hit. Why miscue?

I am going to be using the 1.21 for my break cues now with the .98 for the shooters.

In my opinion I need every advantage I can get. There are to many of you guys out there who are just to damn good.

Let have fun......

drshupe

Not an Ad!!! True!

Looks like an ad.

Sorry to disappoint you charlieeeh, but this is not an ad! If you ever want to come and test my truth, stop by the FOE Eagles Club in Clarion, PA anytime, ask for Dave Shupe and I'll prove it to you or anyone who questions my experiment! Yes I will admit that this chalk is very expensive, and I would like to research finding a cheaper version somewhere, but it did do what I said! I may even try to replicate it myself for personal use only! I believe that they are using some form I Tree Gum in their formula; I used to be a Research Tech for a very large Specialty Chemical Company and may have to try to check out the differences in ingredients vs. Masters Chalk? Good Luck with your pool game!!!:thumbup:

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
As someone who just started playing pool, I read all of these posts with a lot of interest.

How many of you pay $30 to have a Kamui tip installed?
You could get away with a $2 tip just as well

How many pay $400 for a cue or more?
You could get away with a $100 cue just as well

How many buy a $200 case for your cues?
You could get away with a $20 case just as well

We all make choices of what to use and play with but the chalk one seems to really affect people the most.....or at least they are the most vocal about.

I have gone thru all of the chalks and picked Kamui chalk and use only Kamui tips on my shooters.(there is another story) It works for me....Six months of use and it shows only a small amount of wear....it is a learned method of application not the same as applying other chalk. 1 piece will last me a long long time.

I dont apply it on every shot but I check my tip before every shot that requires anything other than a center hit. Why miscue?

I am going to be using the 1.21 for my break cues now with the .98 for the shooters.

In my opinion I need every advantage I can get. There are to many of you guys out there who are just to damn good.

Let have fun......

1. Kamui tips cost AT LEAST 30.00 installed because if we didn't charge that at MINIMUM, it wouldn't be worth doing. Kamui saw fit to jack their prices up even MORE not so long ago. Furthermore, it does me no good to have 2500.00 worth of tips when I can't get a break for spending that much money. Kamui price fixes. Same thing with chalk.

I try and get my customers away from Kamui tips these days. I offer them a FREE replacement in the event they don't like the tip I put on.

2. 400.00 for a decent cue made in America with care that you might want to hand down to your kids or a 100.00 cue made in china that you might want to use as kindling.

3. 20.00 case=a long piece of ziploc...except ziploc protects from moisture better.

4. It is a piece of chalk for Christ sake!!!! The same propaganda that you fell for, leading you to believe a tip should cost 21.75 is the same BS that got you to pay 30 bucks for chalk..

We pay more for cues and cases because normally the more you spend, the nicer the product .

If you think kamui chalk is so good it is worth 150 times a piece of Master(which is free at every pool hall), so be it. Just don't forget to keep it close.

Inferno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For $25 a cube, this chalk should give orgasms.

(it's probably just added rosin to the chalk)

Maestro

In the Zone...
Silver Member
Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but I would also be concerned for any product made and coming out of Japan at this time. ( Not sure, but I think this is the case here?) My heart is breaking for the people of Japan and all who have been effected by 3/11, but this has been a nightmare of a cover up and the radiation issue is very serious.

Inferno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but I would also be concerned for any product made and coming out of Japan at this time. ( Not sure, but I think this is the case here?) My heart is breaking for the people of Japan and all who have been effected by 3/11, but this has been a nightmare of a cover up and the radiation issue is very serious.

I hope you aren't implying that the chalk could be dangerous due to radioactivity.
For something like chalk to be dangerously radioactive it would have to have come within a mile of the reactor while it was emitting the maximum radiation.

Now, if you were eating the chalk it would be a different story.

Kot_Bigemot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope you aren't implying that the chalk could be dangerous due to radioactivity.
For something like chalk to be dangerously radioactive it would have to have come within a mile of the reactor while it was emitting the maximum radiation.

Now, if you were eating the chalk it would be a different story.

That is TOTALLY WRONG.
When Chernobyl happened, i lived on territory of former USSR. Guess what? Anything within a 60 mile radius was killed, i mean literally killed. Anything within a 10 mile radius was destroyed, all there was - ashes.
And up until now some areas are avoided for this same reason.
So, i would have to agree - i'd be careful with anything coming from Japan.

Inferno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is TOTALLY WRONG.
When Chernobyl happened, i lived on territory of former USSR. Guess what? Anything within a 60 mile radius was killed, i mean literally killed. Anything within a 10 mile radius was destroyed, all there was - ashes.

With all due respect...

Chernobyl and the Japan thing aren't the same. And even if it were the same, a square of soil from a mile away from Chernobyl, after a year, wouldn't be very dangerous. About like getting a dental Xray.

And, for your info, I met a man who lived 35KM from Chernobyl when it melted down. Odd, he wasn't dead. Neither was the rest of his family. As a matter of fact, they weren't even sterile. How do I know? My daughter was best friends with their daughter (who was perfectly normal except exceptionally bright and well balanced). She would have had to have been conceived immediately before or immediately after Chernobyl.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
With all due respect...

Chernobyl and the Japan thing aren't the same. And even if it were the same, a square of soil from a mile away from Chernobyl, after a year, wouldn't be very dangerous. About like getting a dental Xray.

And, for your info, I met a man who lived 35KM from Chernobyl when it melted down. Odd, he wasn't dead. Neither was the rest of his family. As a matter of fact, they weren't even sterile. How do I know? My daughter was best friends with their daughter (who was perfectly normal except exceptionally bright and well balanced). She would have had to have been conceived immediately before or immediately after Chernobyl.

To add to that I heard a story on RadioLab about a Japanese engineer who was irradiated twice in two days in the atomic bombings of both Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Both times about a mile from blast center. He is still alive and his offspring are healthy and fine.

The idea that Kamui chalk could be radioactive is kind of silly but if it were I am sure Kamui would jack the price to double and claim it as a feature. :)

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
That is TOTALLY WRONG.

I had to go and read about it. I don't see anything that indicates that everything in a 60 mile radius was killed either by the radiation or by the government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

It was bad but not nearly as bad as you made it sound. Apparently there are still people who live in the 19mile exclusion zone. Even after the reactor blew up they continued to operate the other two reactors.

Inferno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To add to that I heard a story on RadioLab about a Japanese engineer who was irradiated twice in two days in the atomic bombings of both Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Both times about a mile from blast center. He is still alive and his offspring are healthy and fine.

The idea that Kamui chalk could be radioactive is kind of silly but if it were I am sure Kamui would jack the price to double and claim it as a feature. :)

If the lights ever went out, you could use the chalk as a glow stick...

Really, anyone who is worried about radiation from a Japanese product could have it tested pretty easy. If you are spending $25 a cube for chalk, what's another $20 for a geiger test?

xopher

Registered
For me it's not about having a psychological edge because that works against me about as much as it works for me. Going in thinking I have the nuts because I have super chalk isn't my thing. Not having to worry about the chalk is the edge.

your points:

1. It sticks to the tip even when the tip is not scuffed. I think scuffing is more of an "in the player's head" problem. I never scuff with normal chalk, and never have problems.

This is partly because regular chalk is very abrasive so the act of applying it also scuffs your tip slightly. Scuffing is certainly an art into itself and is required when it's really needed and when that it depends on the player and the actual surface of the tip. I stopped scuffing years ago when someone turned me on to the abrasiveness of it. Now I only do it maybe once or twice a year.

2. It goes on smoothly and doesn't take much to apply an even coat.I see this as true with masters as well

Yes but the thing is how much comes off when you tap the table? With Masters and other "normal" chalk enough comes off that I have to wipe it off the table. With this nothing leaves the tip that I can see.

3. It lasts for many many shots before more needs to be applied. I still think you'd need to apply it before critically off-center shots, especially if you are interested in playing top level pool, and mind you there are MANY shots with normal chalk you don't need to rechalk if you were inclined (eg close to center hits), but we do chalk. I just think if there is an advantage here, it is less than people think. It's personal I guess. All I know is i'm chalking every shot if i'm playing important pool, i dont care what chalk im using, if for nothing else than to satisfy my subconcious/mind

Well maybe so but that's not my experience so far. The pros don't chalk every shot now and they play important pool all the time. I felt liberated not having to grab the chalk every shot or every couple shots.

4. It is not messy.
5. It is consistent and dependable. I would argue masters is very consistent and dependable as well

And I would argue that it isn't. Especially if you live somewhere where you aren't sure that real Masters has been provided.

6. It is much grippier. (based on my FEELING)

7. Using it allows me to establish a better rhythm. Again, if you were thinking right, you could probably do this no chalking routine to at least a certain extent with normal chalk (center shots, rolling balls)

Thinking right? What makes you think I haven't done this already? I have been playing for 30 years. In that time I have played around with every form of chalking habits you can think of. I used to practice with no chalk just to find out what I could and could not do and what the limits are. It's not about not having to chalk every shot, I don't do that now. It's about not having to worry about WHEN to chalk. Being able to chalk once and then play a whole rack with whatever spin is needed is the type of rhythm I like. I don't like to have to hunt for chalk, don't like it to be in my way, don't like to have to clean excess off my tip, don't like to have to brush chalk dust off the rail. All those things are eliminated except for having to move other people's chalk out of my way.

8. Using it gives me confidence.

Please excuse me. I know that this answer is out there... but I just can't find it. Have you, or anyone else on this board, noticed a build up of kamui chalk on the cloth? I have read that y'all haven't noticed it falling onto the cloth as does Masters, but what about residue from tip to cue to cloth? Thank you.