how are ya'll doing in league ?

vtmsciguy

Registered
Thanks for the replies. All part of the learning curve of a first year captain. Guess I paid my "stupid" tax last night!

It happens, and I would have stood my ground, as well. I've been burned on the other side of the spectrum where my opponent missed the object ball completely and his teammate said it was good. Since the call went to the shooter, I was screwed. Outside influence has no involvement in a pool match, unless a neutral party is asked to watch/make a ruling, but it is what it is.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big win for my team as we wind down the summer session. I played the 2nd best shooter in our division (very strong SL6) I lost. But I feel pretty good about the way I played, just made too many mistakes against a good player. I gave him BIH shooting at the 8 ball 3 times!! I was right there in every game though, so I will certainly learn from this loss!

Something unusual did happen last night that I need some feedback on. We were the last match of the night. First game I am down to one ball left on the table before the 8 ball. My ball is a slight cut to the pocket but he has a ball fairly close. I check them closely, there is no way my ball goes if I hit his ball first. I line up, fire the ball in and get perfect on the 8 ball and start chalking my stick. He walks over and asks if I hit his ball first. I say no, that my ball would not have cut into the pocket if I hit his first... He replies that one of his teammates saw the shot and says it was a foul. I tossed him the cueball and he proceeded to run out.

Now, I am certainly not blaming losing the match on this, but I would much rather have been up 1-0 vs. down.0-1. What should I have done? I KNOW I didn't foul, but I also know the guy who said he saw it wasn't trying to pull a move, he really thought he saw the foul.

A couple things I was thinking 1.) I should have asked a neutral party to watch the shot, and I normally do, but I didn't really see this particular shot as close enough to warrant it. 2). It was the last match and we were up 10-2 already and it was already almost 11 pm, so I didn't want to have a big drama about it. 3). I genuinely like both the guy I was playing and the guy who called the foul.

Should I have stood my ground? Or should I look at it like a lesson learned and never make that mistake again?

In addition to not having someone watch the shot, I thought that in a match the observers can't point out a foul unless someone is specifically called over to watch the hit.

We had s situation come up in Nationals in Vegas a few weeks ago, the other team's player clearly hit the wrong ball first (we are talking a half ball hit not even a brush on the side) but said it was a good hit. No-one on the sidelines said anything, they called a ref over to explain the situation and the ref ruled in our favor since the ball hit went up table which it never would have done on a good hit.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It happens, and I would have stood my ground, as well. I've been burned on the other side of the spectrum where my opponent missed the object ball completely and his teammate said it was good. Since the call went to the shooter, I was screwed. Outside influence has no involvement in a pool match, unless a neutral party is asked to watch/make a ruling, but it is what it is.

There is a limit to the call going to the shooter, if you clearly miss the ball, the team mates are not in a position to call a good hit or not unless you asked them to watch the hit. Only time I would trust a player on the other team making a call is if I knew they were a good player and understood the rules and I knew them personally and knew they were trust worthy.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. All part of the learning curve of a first year captain. Guess I paid my "stupid" tax last night!

Just be sure to look it over, if it was a foul say it was, but if it wasn't don't be so quick
to give in. I know that if it's just a league night sometimes it's easier to avoid the
confrontation of good hit / bad hit, but there also times that if you're the captain you
set an example, make a statement. This was a good hit, your team will notice.
Unfortunately they will also notice that you gave in. Honesty, regardless of the way the
call goes, is a valuable attribute for you to have as captain. Without being a bastard
you're gonna want to correct that reputation malfunction before it becomes permanent.

There is a limit to the call going to the shooter, if you clearly miss the ball, the team mates are not in a position to call a good hit or not unless you asked them to watch the hit. Only time I would trust a player on the other team making a call is if I knew they were a good player and understood the rules and I knew them personally and knew they were trust worthy.

I totally agree with you, but the statement should be, "There should be a limit..."
The response you'll probably get from most league or tournament officials is, "did you have a neutral person watching the shot?"
It sucks, but they'd be right. You can't always tell that your opponent hit the cue ball so bad that he committed a bad hit foul,
sometimes you can just hope that they're honest.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did well in league this past Monday night. I played a 3 and won 6-2. A little too close for comfort, but then I have tweaked my shooting...or dare I say aiming style, just a little bit for long slight cuts, and it bit me a couple of times. I know that during a match should not be the time for experimentation and will keep that in mind in future weeks.

So so far for this session I am 5-2 in 8 ball and 6-1 in 9 ball. Trying to hold on for that MVP award at the end of the session, really there is only one person within my Handicap group that can beat me, and we played him this week, he won and so did I. Wish I woulda got that match, as If I beat him I would be unable to be caught...but now just have to keep working hard and make the next 5 weeks count.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
This summer was the first time in 3 years I've played any summer league. Typically it's my MO to take a short vacay from pool during the warm months, but last year I took too much time off and practically quit altogether until September. I got too rusty last year so this year I joined a VNEA 3 man summer league. The summer sesh started off rough. We were playing at a new (crappy) venue that eventually closed before the session was even over. I couldn't get myself to take it seriously. My results were basically crap. During fall league I typically have a mid to high 8 average. Before this Tuesday I was averaging a high 6. Gross. This week I decided to change tactics. I went early and did some stroke drills to warm up followed by some 8 ball racks. It worked I shot a 57 out of 60 points possible this week with a break n run. Glad to see I'm rounding into form before the fall.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had apa 9 ball last night and faced a 7 .race was me 46...him 55.

As usual it started out bad for me...this time the cause was strictly my break. I won the lag and promptly hooked myself on the one after making a ball. He runs all but the 9 which I make . I think he intentionally dogged it.

2nd rack I scratch on the break and he runs all but the 8 and 9....intentionally it looked like.

3rd rack I change my break to side rail on the head string. Really have never had much luck breaking from there but I figured it couldn't be any worse than my last 2 breaks. Surprise...surprise... Squatted cue ball center of table made a ball and had an was shot at the one. I ran all the way down to the 8 where I ended up a lil short of where I wanted. Hard shot but make able. Classic mistake of worrying about position on 9 when shooting and dogged it . Damn...there goes a break and run.

From there we battled back and forth and when it was over I lost 55-40. Those 2 bad breaks at the beginning is what cost me a win.

If I ever get my break down I think I can make it to a 7. But then again....other nights its my shooting that holds me back lol.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got a new Tascarella. My favorite cue of all time so I named it Sunrise.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=479864

Played league tonight in 8 ball. Won 5-0 in 6 innings and 2 break and runs.

Coincidence????

Im thinking not. Hard to describe how great this cue hits. First cue since my Judd that feels completely comfortable, balanced and predictable.

I take the cue out often just to look at it. Who says cues don't matter?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Coincidence????

Im thinking not. Hard to describe how great this cue hits. First cue since my Judd that feels completely comfortable, balanced and predictable.

Great shooting and congrats on a beautiful cue.

I did on in 8 ball last week. Won 4-1 and had a break and run.

Lost 9 ball . Dont remember the score but it must have been bad because I erase those kinds of nights from my mind real quick lol

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand how I can shoot so good in TAP and so awful in APA. Won my last 4 match ups in TAP.., only lost 2 games. APA I have won one match out of 3.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I don't understand how I can shoot so good in TAP and so awful in APA. Won my last 4 match ups in TAP.., only lost 2 games. APA I have won one match out of 3.

Perhaps you enjoy TAP, and APA not so much? I know I always play better when I'm
having a good time. Are you the APA Captain? or maybe the defacto captain? Is the APA
team a more high pressure situation? or is it more cyclical? have you previously been
better in APA, and not so much in TAP?

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps you enjoy TAP, and APA not so much? I know I always play better when I'm
having a good time. Are you the APA Captain? or maybe the defacto captain? Is the APA
team a more high pressure situation? or is it more cyclical? have you previously been
better in APA, and not so much in TAP?

I have been a long time APA Player. I love 9 ball. But I want my skill level to reflect how good I am. It dropped recently and I think maybe I am putting myself under too much pressure to win.

I just recently started playing TAP again. Plus it's 8 ball and I have always considered myself a better 9 ball player. Just strange that I am excelling and something I don't care for. I love the format. But I am looking REALLY bad in APA lately.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been a long time APA Player. I love 9 ball. But I want my skill level to reflect how good I am. It dropped recently and I think maybe I am putting myself under too much pressure to win.

I just recently started playing TAP again. Plus it's 8 ball and I have always considered myself a better 9 ball player. Just strange that I am excelling and something I don't care for. I love the format. But I am looking REALLY bad in APA lately.

I was going to say we all vo through those phases coop....at least I do lol.

I consider myself better in 8 ball and had rather play 8 due to just too much slop in 9.

It never fails that when I do great in one format I do poorly in the other. I ended last session with a 65% win in 9 ball and a 48% in 8 ball. The session before that i dis much better in 8 than 9. I was 7-0 on 9 ball in one division and lost my last 5 in a row.

As for how I play in one league vs another....started out the same as you. I started usapl as a 460 and went on a roll tearing every one up and went to a 511. Then I seemed to do poorly and am now rated at a 465. Really can't understand it but I quit losing sleep over it when I dropped out of the league. Just rejoined it after dropping one apa team so we will see how it goes and maybe get back up to a 500 or so.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, Haven't posted in a while, but then I haven't played much league since titleholders. Played two matches at titleholders. Would be surprised if the first guy I played didn't burn his cues and take up knitting after the whoopin' I laid down. It was 9 ball, we lost our first two matches and ended up in almost last place.

The second match went hill-hill all the way to the last 9 ball. I lost that one, but honestly was ready to go home anyway, starting with a new team next session and this was the last hurrah for the current team. We have two weeks left on this session, but will be happy when the new team starts, will have a really good line-up.

I ended up buying an 8 foot Olhauesen and had it installed with new cloth and the whole 9 yards...a few minor tweeks left to get it level and what not, but have been able to practice every day for several hours the past few weeks (even on work days for a few hours). It has been 20 years since I have been able to play this much and I think I have gained 2 balls just since buying the table.

Anyway, two weeks left to nail down a MVP spot, hopefully I don't barely miss that again this session.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

APA goes by points, TAP goes by games, that can make a big difference in giving up spots. I do a lot better when I give up a spot with games, especially in 8 ball.

I don't play APA but USAPL also gives you points per ball, one, and 14 for a win. A good player vs a bad one can pretty much win every game and lose. I have played matches where I won 5 or 6 games to their 1 and lost.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Coincidence????

That is a great looking cue. You should be playing SVB with that thing, it's wasted on leagues LOL

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a really good night tonight...won 8 ball 4-0...won 9 ball 5-1. One more week with this team. The wins tonight make for a total of 6-2 in each.

Stuck around and gambled a little bit with a couple of higher caliber players and broke even. Lots of break and runs between us it was really fun...along with a break and run in the 8 ball match as well.

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a great night Monday night in our local cash leagues. Broke and ran 2 racks and won 5-0 on a crappy dynamo table.