Why does USA keep bringing back proven Mosconi losers?

Madnecity

Registered
Time for the captain of USA to have full control over selection.
No seeding, no points, no nothing. Just a management team, pick 5 guys, go win the damn thing.
No way I would ever bring back players who lose at the same event over and over and over. Got nothing to do with how much I like them or whatever.
I want to go to war with guys that have ice in their veins.
Man, this is too much. What a s*** show.

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We've done all that. For years we picked 5 players by reputation, but when the Europeans started taking the game serious, they pulled away from us. The reason we went to a merit based system playing for points was to try to improve. The point is this; the Europeans simply have more and better players. Whatever system we choose to use is not going to overcome that fact. We will win again, but it will be an upset when it happens.

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
There is nothing you can do about it, these are the best players that you have! Just compare the young guns Thorpe and Filler...night and day!!! The gap is abysmal!

Reactions: JC

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No seeding, no points, no nothing. Just a management team, pick 5 guys, go win the damn thing.
No way I would ever bring back players who lose at the same event over and over and over. Got nothing to do with how much I like them or whatever.

What would have been your pick?

Mine this year would have been:
Justin Bergman
SVB
Corey Duel
Rodney Morris
Billy T

Last edited:

nicksaint26

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is nothing you can do about it, these are the best players that you have! Just compare the young guns Thorpe and Filler...night and day!!! The gap is abysmal!

You keep saying this, I guess you can predict the future of these two. Filler is great but what has Billy done to show he isn't great as well? You're a biased idiot, Billy justed smoke Wu 11-1 at the US Open and beat down numerous monsters!

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Europe can pick any of 20 players and win this cup. USA can't even pick 5 players, because we don't have 5. That is the crux of it. Nothing more, nothing less.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Please name some names you would not bring back :)
There really is a limited pool to choose from which is why many are recycled unlike Europe which has tonnes of talent to choose from https://eurotouronline.com/eurotour-ranking/ They can easily form a few strong MC teams

boblzer0

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they're the best players we have in events not called the mosconi cup. this is not the best team we could put together for this event.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone really think think a team made up of Josh Roberts, Amar Kang, Tony Chohan, Jonathan Pinegar and Scott Frost would be doing any better?

The fact is anyone who has played on the team on the last 7 years is a "proven loser." That doesn't mean they aren't the best players.

Madnecity

Registered
yup. That's it. This is simply not the best team we could have come up with for THIS event.

I might have done something like Justin, Billy, Hatch, Rocket, Scorpion. The two most mentally stable of the young guns, the guy who shows up every time, and the legends. Or Corey instead of Rocket, with Rocket as coach. Something like that.

Basically, if you try and beat Europe with the young straight shooters, you'll lose - can't beat them with a team JUST LIKE THEM but inferior. Need different skill set. Experience. Wisdom. Grizzle.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Argue about data collection and resulting decisions all you want...it doesn't change the fact that we don't have what it takes to win.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would take archer over Oscar any day.

The lovely Anne Archer would agree. She was nominated for Oscar for Fatal Attraction but did not win :grin-square:

4289529745_71b0d482c3.jpg

Cujopro

Registered
The US need a team of players that have Experience , Knowledge , Ability and are not afraid of Big time pressure. I've always felt that they need to assemble a mix of any of these players to be competitive.....before it's too late

Shane Van Boening
Johnny Archer
Dennis Hatch
Rodney Morris
Jeremy Jones
Shannon Daulton

Yes....I know some of these guys don't really play all that much anymore, and would have to practice quite a bit to get back in shape. But I would put their experience way over the new school.
Don't get me wrong, the "New school" players are very good (Dominguez , Woodward, Thorpe , Dechaine , Bergman) . IMO , They're just not there yet . Let'em win a few U.S Opens and/or World Titles....THEN IT WILL BE ON

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The US need a team of players that have Experience , Knowledge , Ability and are not afraid of Big time pressure. I've always felt that they need to assemble a mix of any of these players to be competitive.....before it's too late

Shane Van Boening
Johnny Archer
Dennis Hatch
Rodney Morris
Jeremy Jones
Shannon Daulton

Yes....I know some of these guys don't really play all that much anymore, and would have to practice quite a bit to get back in shape. But I would put their experience way over the new school.
Don't get me wrong, the "New school" players are very good (Dominguez , Woodward, Thorpe , Dechaine , Bergman) . IMO , They're just not there yet . Let'em win a few U.S Opens and/or World Titles....THEN IT WILL BE ON
You guys have any idea how little pool Archer and Shannon play these days? I would definitely take Bergman over Oscar. Day in day out JB is a better player. As for young guns, Danny Smith, Chip Compton and Shane McMinn are all tough action warriors who would do NO worse than this years debacle. Just my $.02 worth.