I wonder how many players would go pro if pool paid as much is pro golf for example?

I wonder how many players out there (that may have quit pool because there is not much money in it) would quit what ever they are doing and go pro, if pool was as big time as golf (or any other sport that pays millions to the top pro's in the field)?

I also wonder if SVB would still be #1 if pool was as big time as other sports (that are big time, and very popular with most of the population, like Baseball or Basketball).

I have heard that a lot of really great players have quit the game in the past, because there just is not much money in the game, and I just wonder how big pool could be if it were much more popular.

I wonder what would need to be done to make pool much more loved in the US.

Other then the leagues (that are meant as just a social gathering), pool seems to be pretty dead wherever I go.

Would it not be great if pool was as big as golf for example? I assume that if that ever happened, then a lot more players would start playing.

Putting money aside, it would still be really great if a lot more people loved the game, and there could be a much larger population of pool players out there that just have a deep love for the game (like I do, but did much more when I was a kid in the 90's, and pool seemed to be a lot more popular back then).

I wish that something could be done to get more people into playing the game.

Will pool in the US ever get any bigger, or will the general population ever think or care anything about the game (other then for something to do while drinking a beer at their local bar)?

If a game like Chess can be in the school system, then why not pool?

Sorry if that last question was idiotic.

I just assume that if pool was a part of the school system (like Chess for example), then it would be a lot bigger.

But then again, maybe it would just cause more kids to drop out of school and just want to go to the pool hall and not want to study (I do not know).

Maybe pool is just too different then other school activities like Chess, Wrestling, Baseball, Basketball, and so on to ever be welcomed in to the school system (what do you all think?).

I guess that since pool has not made it to the big time in all the years that it has been around, and maybe even gone down hill here in the US, then maybe there is no hope for pool to ever make it to the big time.

I am guessing that pool is much bigger over in Europe (and not looked down on) because most of the top players are against gambling over there (am I right?), and I heard that they have a lot of pool academies over in Europe, so there are a lot of young players that love the game and want to compete at it.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there were multiple tournaments around the world that had golf like prize amounts, then there would most certainly be a difference.

1. There would be more pool halls.
2. You would see pool tables in most high schools and colleges.
3. More pool related purchases, especially from parents that want their child to be the next SVB, who we'll assume is still the best American in this hypothetical situation.

Pool will never be as big as the NFL or NBA, but there are definitely some changes that could be made that would bring in more money and make it more popular than it is now.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not saying he wouldn't be number 1 but he would definitely have more competition

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Some of the best players many have never heard of because they had nothing to pursue & given it up.

This game requires an inordinate amount of dedication in both time and effort to play at an elite level and there is just no reward for the investment required.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
A hard piece of the puzzle

If there were multiple tournaments around the world that had golf like prize amounts, then there would most certainly be a difference.

3. More pool related purchases, especially from parents that want their child to be the next SVB, who we'll assume is still the best American in this hypothetical situation.

Pool will never be as big as the NFL or NBA, but there are definitely some changes that could be made that would bring in more money and make it more popular than it is now.

Ive talked to several former room owners on here and the resounding answer that keeps coming up is that rents surpassed pools ability to provide income. Of the places making money several revenue streams had to be present otherwise the room was located in a distressed area and that doesnt help a lot.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talent follows $$$ period!

Tiddly winks, Poker, Darts, whatever! IF you can make enough money to get the attention of the public/gamblers/talented people at that discipline will follow. Seriously.....cow paddy tossing would be on T.V. if they were playing for $100,000. Hell I would watch it, and buy a glove the next day to help my accuracy :)

When the Color Of Money came out, and I can't believe I"m saying it, but it has been 20 some odd years.... pool was HOT, rooms were opening weekly and money flowed because it was cool to gamble at pool!

Same as Poker not too long ago. My nephew who is 26 talks about Poker like it is history because the powers that be screwed with the money! but he was a top player and more then willing to get into action daily!

I don't know what is next? but the money will follow and seriously talented people will be great at whatever it is....I just hope it involves a cue.

G.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I tell my little daughter, when she poses inane questions about highly unlikely scenarios: what if, honey? What if...

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how many players out there (that may have quit pool because there is not much money in it) would quit what ever they are doing and go pro, if pool was as big time as golf (or any other sport that pays millions to the top pro's in the field)?

I also wonder if SVB would still be #1 if pool was as big time as other sports (that are big time, and very popular with most of the population, like Baseball or Basketball).

I have heard that a lot of really great players have quit the game in the past, because there just is not much money in the game, and I just wonder how big pool could be if it were much more popular.

Other then the leagues (that are meant as just a social gathering), pool seems to be pretty dead wherever I go.

Would it not be great if pool was as big as golf for example? I assume that if that ever happened, then a lot more players would start playing.

Putting money aside, it would still be really great if a lot more people loved the game, and there could be a much larger population of pool players out there that just have a deep love for the game (like I do, but did much more when I was a kid in the 90's, and pool seemed to be a lot more popular back then).

Will pool in the US ever get any bigger, or will the general population ever think or care anything about the game (other then for something to do while drinking a beer at their local bar)?

I just assume that if pool was a part of the school system (like Chess for example), then it would be a lot bigger.

But then again, maybe it would just cause more kids to drop out of school and just want to go to the pool hall and not want to study (I do not know).

Maybe pool is just too different then other school activities like Chess, Wrestling, Baseball, Basketball, and so on to ever be welcomed in to the school system (what do you all think?).

I guess that since pool has not made it to the big time in all the years that it has been around, and maybe even gone down hill here in the US, then maybe there is no hope for pool to ever make it to the big time.

I am guessing that pool is much bigger over in Europe (and not looked down on) because most of the top players are against gambling over there (am I right?), and I heard that they have a lot of pool academies over in Europe, so there are a lot of young players that love the game and want to compete at it.
Players would be coming out of the woodwork. Pool is not that hard a game and there are a zillion good players who with that incentive of money would push their games to a top level.

Regardless, there is still only so much room at the top like with any sport and so much money to go around. You would have a lot of disappointed players at the bottom looking up.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talent follows $$$ period!

Tiddly winks, Poker, Darts, whatever! IF you can make enough money to get the attention of the public/gamblers/talented people at that discipline will follow. Seriously.....cow paddy tossing would be on T.V. if they were playing for $100,000. Hell I would watch it, and buy a glove the next day to help my accuracy :)

When the Color Of Money came out, and I can't believe I"m saying it, but it has been 20 some odd years.... pool was HOT, rooms were opening weekly and money flowed because it was cool to gamble at pool!

Same as Poker not too long ago. My nephew who is 26 talks about Poker like it is history because the powers that be screwed with the money! but he was a top player and more then willing to get into action daily!

I don't know what is next? but the money will follow and seriously talented people will be great at whatever it is....I just hope it involves a cue.

G.
COM is now almost 30 years ago. It was a bit of an illusion that it really boosted pool. A lot of people invested in pool with new rooms that later closed. They unfortunately invested in a fad that died.

Pool is by no way a fad, but what happened to pool after COM was much like people with their cowboy hats and boots after Urban Cowboy and disco after SNF. These are not people who can be depended on, they will be gone soon. If you want pool to grow it has to be based on something of substance, not followers of a fads.

Last edited:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your right,

The money only needs to get a little better and there in lays the hope for the sport. Pool does not have to pay like golf, Pool just needs to pay. If there where 2 tournaments a month $100,000 added, the game would grow again. That's a total payout for the year less then golf pays for 1 tournament. It seems like that could happen.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have heard that a lot of really great players have quit the game in the past, because there just is not much money in the game, and I just wonder how big pool could be if it were much more popular....etc.,etc.

Interesting question..I'd be of the opinion not much would change !..Both pool and golf, are very difficult games to master, and both require dedication, hard work, and tons of time consuming practice..All this, with no guarantee of becoming proficient enough make a good living at it, regardless of the financial rewards.

IMO, the numbers would not change that much. Also needed, is a real love for the game, and some measure of natural talent, not to mention, unlimited time to pursue it..Most people will give up, once they realize the degree of difficulty to really excel at it and, like golf, they will soon relegate it to just an enjoyable, and fairly inexpensive pastime !

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Human nature what it is the ratio of players who could hold on to any money would be about the same .

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The money only needs to get a little better and there in lays the hope for the sport. Pool does not have to pay like golf, Pool just needs to pay. If there where 2 tournaments a month $100,000 added, the game would grow again. That's a total payout for the year less then golf pays for 1 tournament. It seems like that could happen.

That would be a lot of tournaments. Really 4 major tournaments a year along with a lot of smaller satellite tournaments that players can play in year round would be fine. Travel is the problem, you need local or state wide tournaments for players to compete.

If you have this you will have a lot of players playing who although maybe not doing it for a living, with at least enough incentive to seriously pursue their hobby. I am sorry to use that word but pool is not a profession, it is a hobby for most players, even the top players.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Look what happened when Trudough started the IPT with seven figure payouts. Pool players were coming out of the woodwork to get in! Too bad he went belly up after only three events. But I guess that was predictable too! :wink:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look what happened when Trudough started the IPT with seven figure payouts. Pool players were coming out of the woodwork to get in! Too bad he went belly up after only three events. But I guess that was predictable too! :wink:

I would expect even more would come out of the woodwork ,, but don't worry I'm sure we would have aleast 2 Americans in the top 20

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would expect even more would come out of the woodwork ,, but don't worry I'm sure we would have aleast 2 Americans in the top 20

No one is expecting to get rich, pool players want to play pool. It would just be nice to not have to finish 3rd just to break even.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Players would be coming out of the woodwork. Pool is not that hard a game and there are a zillion good players who with that incentive of money would push their games to a top level.

Regardless, there is still only so much room at the top like with any sport and so much money to go around. You would have a lot of disappointed players at the bottom looking up.

Exactly. Guys, would be practicing 4-6 hours per day. Guys, that never wanted a life in pool, would pursue it now because millions of dollars are at stake. And you don't need to be an athlete to play or be good at the game. Miz shot pretty sporty ;)

size, strength, speed, hand-eye coordination and endurance knocks just about 99% of the population out of playing pro baseball, football, hockey or basketball. Golf, do you see the amount of folks that golf now. Do you wanna know how many folks golf in my town alone ? We have 7 golf courses in a 5 mile radius, and good ones.

And I mean KIDS. They have golf teams in most HS and colleges. They are taking lessons and playing in leagues at the age of 5. So, yeah, if Golf provided no funds, which would mean HS would not have teams and colleges would not offer scholarships, its safe to say as many folks, especially kids would not be playing. Maybe they don't go pro, but a free ride in college with NO concussions ain't so bad ;)

And please, playing defense in pool requires shooting a cb a few inches to play safe. Playing defense in Hockey requires a 240 pound guy skating at you full speed while carrying a large piece of wood, and knocking you into the boards, and then throwing several punches at you just for good measure ;)

Last edited:

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know what? this conversation is very much like one I had with my brother not long ago when we were at the gun range. My point was that there are a "bajillion" shooters out there that can hit the "bullseye" when needed with any of my WW2 artifacts. It's just a shame we need to have a dollar sign on the result or most dudes are not willing to put in the time!i get it!

Actually.....if we put up a BIG enough $$$ prize......we just might see some of the worlds most awesome shooting.

Maybe John Schmidt is on to something? I would love nothing more then seeing a 527 :)

and my guess would be it would come from Jason someone or other? :)

g.

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know anything about pool and money, but have tournaments in the past considered tying viewership directly into the prize pool?. Like if admission costs to watching a tournament, went directly into the prize pool. Or if streaming, ad sponsors would pay a percentage into the prize pool, per viewer?

I'd totally pay 5-10 bucks to watch the local A players duke it out, especially if I knew it was going towards their prize.

BlueCollarBar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And please, playing defense in pool requires shooting a cb a few inches to play safe. Playing defense in Hockey requires a 240 pound guy skating at you full speed while carrying a large piece of wood, and knocking you into the boards, and then throwing several punches at you just for good measure ;)

You really don't know much about hockey if that's what you think it takes to play defense at a high level.

I'm betting you can't even stay upright on skates and you are one of those guys that thinks they know everything there is to know about the topic at hand.