Hammerhead review.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a few Hammerhead jump and break tips and a piece of Hammerhead rod to make a ferrule out of it. I thought to write up my thoughts on the tips and show a few pictures :)

I started off by installing a Hammerhead tip on my old Players J/B that now has a G10 ferrule to see how the tip performs and how it looks when installed. Sorry for the lack of picture here, I forgot to take one :thumbup: Anyway, I noticed when installing the tip that it feels quite slippery and soft, compared to most other synthetic materials I have handled. It cuts with ease with sharp tools and the tips come with installing instructions. I used Loctite 480 Blackmax glue for the install. It is a bit messy but it is also super strong stuff and it was recommended on the installation instruction.
The colour of the tip mostly resembles that of a hearing aid. A skin like, pale colour as it is seen on the Renfros website. It is just fine for a tip but I didnt want a whole ferrule to look like that. I got an idea for the ferrule job here, more on that later on this post.
I made some slight scuff marks on the tip with 180 sandpaper to give the chalk something to grip on and polished the sides. I let the glue set for 24h before trying out the cue to make sure the tip stays on. After a quick try out session I went on to make a whole ferrule / tip combo out of Hammerhead material for another cue just like the first one.
As I said earlier on, the material isnt the prettiest out there. I didnt want a chalk stained hearing aid glued on my cue so I took a different approach to make it work and look right :wink: I made a threaded ferrule out of Hammerhead, made a little groove on it to take on a G10 sleeve to hide the sides.

Uf62NW7.jpg

5/16x18 thread inside and compression fit g10 sleeve to be glued on.
M4IFF3U.jpg

Glued on and left to set under pressure for 24h

Then it was just a matter of trimming down the tip and ferrule to be all set.

UTKmMLj.jpg

Done.

On to the more important part; how it functions.

The tip needs a bit of caution when chalking, just wiping it on wont hold much chalk on the tip. That is pretty much the case with most phenolic tips anyway and its a habit for me to chalk with caution when jumping or breaking. I started off by jumping a few dozen balls with it. The ball lifts off okay and it felt nice to jump with. Makes a pleasant *pop* sound on hit. I had some issues with close jumps though, I got a bit more miscues than usually when I had to elevate a lot to get over a close ball. Maybe not the best jump tip I have tried but I guess it works for some people :)
Then on to breaking. For starters I should propably tell you that I have a pretty powerful break and I often like to use some english especially on 9 ball breaks to get the CB where I want it. On the very first break shot the popping sound really catched my ear. It sounds like pure power and it does indeed transfer a lot of energy on the CB. I got a little more hop on the 8ball break than I usually get but it worked nice though and I got decent breaks with it most of the time. I did have a few miscues that I am not used to having when breaking, Hammerhead seems to be quite harsh on you when it comes to off center hits :sorry: I didnt like it much for 9 ball break, I was losing the CB too often and I didnt have the feel of controll that I am accustomed to with other break tips I like. I might add that as I had two identical shafts to play with, one with just the Hammerhead tip and the other with the ferrule combo I felt the same with both so it was not caused by the untraditional ferrule construction. The material is just too slippery for my liking and I could not get used to it even though I took more than a week trying to adapt. It works for sure, dont get me wrong but there are other tips and materials that work better for me.

A long story short; Hammerhead is a very powerfull, yet quite unforgiving tip that delivers a big punch on break. It will work well if you have a very advanced break and always stay on the center of CB. It jumps like most phenolics and it comes packaged nicely and with great instructions for proper installation.

Hope that someone found this post usefull or interesting. It was a pleasure working on this material, getting to know its properties and characteristics.
I tried my best to make sure that I kept this review 100% truthfull, nothing added or left out of what I felt was the story. Everything written in this post is based only on my personal experiences working and playing with the material. I am not an expert on plastics, nor a pro-level player so please understand that your opinion may vary from mine. :wink:

Last edited:

asamimasa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the comprehensive review. Interesting how you took it to the whole ferrule than just the tip. My installer displayed a bit of hesitation when it came to these, the difficulty in installation must be as high as the precautions warn. I had them installed on two break shafts for myself, and a third for a buddy of mine.

The instructions were a bit vague, it is one sheet for both the ki-tech tips and the hammerhead. At the bottom, it specified sanding down to 1000 grit, which must be for the ki-tech tips, because the hammerhead is almost completely impractical when smooth. I used my normal tip shaper, but even that was a bit slippery, so I went all the way to 60 grit. Even then, it doesn't hold chalk well and is very unforgiving of anything off-center. I tried doing some longer draw shots with it, and it ended up turning into a community game of who could hit low without miscuing. It made me afraid to go off-center. For the ~6 months I used it, I could never get back to popping and squatting the cue ball in the center of the table.

Echoing Kimmo H.'s findings, close jumps were quite difficult. I picked up a Mezz jumper with their Trans tip (which is less energy efficient than the Sonic), and was immediately able to get clearance less than a ball away with the same technique.

On the upside, energy transfer is quite satisfying. The aggressive decompression rate is quite a nice feeling compared to phenolic or G10, there's the feeling that it's got an extra push from what you're throwing into the hit. Compared to the Taom 2, they have very similar feedback, but I'd narrowly give it to the Taom. The Hammerhead wins in power, and the significant upside of not shaving down on the felt, which progressively made the Taom a worse tip for jumps.

To conclude, it's a stellar tip for hitting hard, but less so for technical hits.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Thanks for the test drive Kimmo.. The one thing on the misscues on the break which is counter intuitive is to go flatter.. Since the Hammerhead does have a compression factor the flatter area actually creates a larger surface area where in general it does not change on phenolics..

Neat trick and nice looking install with the ferrule.. The engineer has finally agreed to run me some Blue to test... The concern will be how much energy the color addition will eat...

recovering from Pneumonia and trying to catch up before the Open so sorry to be brief....