The passing of Paul E. Huebler

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I met Mr Huebler at one of the BCA shows....rest in peace.

image.jpg

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
RIP Paul

I spent a few hours with him in his office interviewing him for my books.

Nice and humble guy...

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Very sad. I don't recall ever meeting Mr. Huebler, but I did speak with him on the phone one time. He was generous with his time and knowledge. To this day my Huebler H-A is one of my prized possessions.

RIP Mr. Huebler.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thoughts and condolences to the Huebler Family, friends and loved ones.

'R.I.P'

-Kat,

threefouls

Registered
He has always been one of my favorite people. He made a couple of cues for me in the early '80s, alas they are long gone. I have always enjoyed telling people he made cues in the back of a chicken slaughter-house.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Paul was a very classy and honorable man, and also a very good cue maker. He was back in the day of hard work and narrow margins.

He produced a lot of cues and promoted some large events back in the 80's?? Huebler Cup and others come to mind.

I met him several times over the years. He was some of the original fiber that built the cue stick industry. I think everyone in the pool world owes Mr. Huebler a 'tip of the hat'--

Rest in Peace sir!

Mark Griffin

RonRosas

Banned
Cue Maker Paul E Huebler RIP

Paul E Huebler -Born: May 14, 1927, Died: June 08, 2016

picture.php
Paul and I, when I won The Huebler Cup, along with Jay Swanee in 2nd.

U.S. VeteranPaul Edward Huebler, age 89 of Linn, passed away on Wednesday, June 8, 2016, at Linn Living and Rehab.

Paul was born May 14, 1927, in Chamois, a son to the late August Charles and Della (Bogle) Huebler.

Paul attended school in Chamois and was of the Catholic faith. He served his country in the United States Army.

Paul, the youngest of eight children, developed a knack for woodworking at an early age because his father and grandfather were both cabinetmakers. Paul also developed a love for the game of pool. Unfortunately, an accident at a young age kept him from pursuing a career as a billiards player. However, it did not stop him from owning a billiards room in Chamois and sponsoring many tournaments there. It was at his billiards room that he met Harold Schmidt, who was the owner of the A.E. Schmidt Company, a manufacturer of billiard supplies in St. Louis. In 1958, Paul was offered a job with them and later became their national sales representative where he built a loyal client base in many Midwestern pool halls.

In 1965, Paul surprised the Schmidt’s with the news that he was going to be a Catholic Missionary in Papua, New Guinea. While in New Guinea, Paul supervised natives there for 5 years in a lumber mill and this is where he learned about different types of exotic woods.

Paul came back to the United States in 1970 and immediately resumed his job with A.E. Schmidt Company. While Paul was in New Guinea the movie “The Hustler” came out and regenerated billiard play throughout the country. It seemed every pool player had to have a two-piece cue exactly like the one Minnesota Fats used to lick Fast Eddy in the movie.

In 1973, Paul left the Schmidt’s to start Huebler Industries in Linn. The Schmidt family helped him secure a loan and were also among his first customers.

Paul’s cues were known as “the straightest handcrafted cues on the market” and they sold for anywhere from $54 to several thousand dollars. Pool players from as far away as Germany, Japan, Russia and Australia have used his cues. Paul also served as President of the Billiards Congress of America, a Colorado Springs, Colorado based trade organization from 1982-1985.

Paul is survived by a niece and many nephews, as well as a special friend, Mike Poindexter and his wife Gail of Montgomery City.

In addition to his parents, Paul was preceded in death by four brothers, Thomas, Boyd, John and Floyd Huebler and three sisters, Mary Townley, Goldean Huebler, and Lydia Oidtman.

Visitation was held Monday, June 13, 2016, at St. George Catholic Church in Linn.

Mass of Christian Burial was with Fr. Daniel Merz as the celebrant. Interment was in the Deer Creek Cemetery in Chamois with full military honors.

Attachments

• user99552_pic15749_1441867391.jpg
    user99552_pic15749_1441867391.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 465
  • user99552_pic15747_1441867221.jpg
    user99552_pic15747_1441867221.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 461
  • user99552_pic15746_1441867221.jpg
    user99552_pic15746_1441867221.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 465
  • user99552_pic15748_1441867391.jpg
    user99552_pic15748_1441867391.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 459
  • user99552_pic15767_1441869733.jpg
    user99552_pic15767_1441869733.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 591

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
I inherited a cue in 1988 and it turned out to be a Huebler. The cue is kindly referred to as "grandpa" as it was handed down by my grandfather (who is also a veteran) and it is held in high regard.

Still straight as an arrow, plays fantastic and has a classic appearance.

The cycle of life is cruel at the end, however I wish Mr. Heubler a quick passage to the afterlife and that everything he believed in after his term in the material world come true for him now.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate the call Terry on the day Paul passed away. I have attempted to write several times here, but just erase them as I can't put in writing something that sounds great to me.

38 years ago, I met Paul at some event, I was 17 at the time and went with a guy who sold fredrick willis pool tables. I just done the grunt work. I spoke with Paul off and on over the two day event and by the end of the event, he offered me a dealership.
Geesh,
I was not even out of high school yet, but, my father backed me and the extra money I made back then helped when I bought a house a few years later.

My biggest compliment to Mr. Huebler is that he believed in his product and that carried over to me believing in his product.
I still have a copy of the last letter I mailed him which I sent after a long phone call. I Thanked him for his years of support and honoring me to represent him and his product line.

I'll always remember Paul describing to me the land of the Huebler family, it sounded beautiful.
Rest in Peace my good man and Thank You sincerely for your trust.

As a young man, I learned responsibility very quickly.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My very first cue was a simple level 1 Huebler.

I passed it on to a kid that lived in an apartment below me years ago.

Sad to hear this news. :(

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Stand up guy, world traveler & his word was as good as gold. Only trophy I ever kept in all my winning days was the Heubler cup 1989 in Palm Springs. He also gave me a custom 4 point cue with ivory inlays, which I wish I never would of sold, but had to after my divorce. He was one of the foundation al' fathers of the BCA, and it's integrity and long term vision slowly went down hill after he left, then came apart after arriving in CO. Great man, I'm lucky to have spent some time with him at the BCA trade shows during the early 2000's, when the BCA coffers were flu$h with 3 mil in the bank.

Last edited:

jus4funbilliard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad news passing of a great cue maker. And a true gentleman, never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, but always generous with his time on the phone. Dug my sneaky out for state APA tournament won both matches!

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Was thinking of Paul, and dug this thread up. Tweet....:thumbup:

I found a Huebler sneaky pete in Glenwood Springs the week Paul passed. I bought it and replaced the shaft using the nylon insert that I took out of the original. I really like the cue.

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only got to try his cues a year ago, what a great feel. Too bad i didn’t know about them sooner. A few months back an ebony nose went up in the for sale section, gone in a few minutes...

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP, and condolences to the family. He was a credit to the sport, and to the industry.

I bought one of the earliest Hueblers somewhere about 1973-75 in Fort Worth or Arlington.. He was building cues in the era where cue makers would take photos of their cue line, with numbers on little cards below each cue. Somebody would pass out the 4x6 color photo prints with a price sheet and ordering information. I could have bought Richard Black, Joss, and a few other currently collectible cues for $80 - $225. Schon cues came a little later, maybe 77? I think I was making $8.50/hour at my day job in the mid 70s. But the Huebler was a cue I think I bought from someone who had a few in his car.

My Huebler was simple but very well crafted. No one would mistake it for a sneaky pete because of the fit and finish and the great shiny dark wood. It was as well made and finished as any cue I saw. It was all dark wood below the joint, had a flexible shaft almost like Meucci (or did Meucci copy Huebler?) and a black Implex joint. I only paid $55 or so for it. I had it for years, but unfortunately the balance never suited me.

Oddly, I also had a plain BEM Tad, with steel joint, and its balance never suited me either. Sometime around 1984-85 I sold the old Tad and bought a new McDermott D-4, which suited me much better. I still have that D-4, and several other McDermotts from 2008-09, all of which I play with from time to time.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometime around 1984-85 I sold the old Tad and bought a new McDermott D-4, which suited me much better. I still have that D-4, and several other McDermotts from 2008-09, all of which I play with from time to time.

Huebler made some really solid players. A guy I know here has one of the old school style that plays really well. He got it at a super low price from somebody here and I would have bought it if I'd seen it first.

Speaking of McDermotts, they play really well, also. I have a C-14 that I bought new from McDermott and I have the RS-11 that your fellow Texan, CJ Wiley, is holding in this photo. It still has the same tip on it.

Attachments

• rsz_cj_and_my_cue_facebook_29_mar_19.jpg
    rsz_cj_and_my_cue_facebook_29_mar_19.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited: