OB or should I say SP

poolhalljnkie

House cue conversionist
Silver Member
So the Billiards Expo has come and gone. A lot of great new innovative things going on in the billiard industry. A lot of new cue builders & companies out there. Some really cool stuff & some not so great stuff.
Speaking of the not so great stuff, if you ordered an OB cue at the expo, be prepared that it is not what was advertised.
“In March 2012 we were finally ready to start building complete cues so we launched the 2012 OB Cue line which consisted of 10 different playing cues built right here in our factory in Plano, Texas incorporating technologies in the butt of the cue that we researched for almost 2 years –Royces way The cues also has a Straight Line Core (SLC). The SLC construction guarantees a cue that is straighter, stronger, more stable and stiffer. This means that your cue will be built straight, stay straight and hit great. The cue also has a Centralized Balance System. This means that weight has been placed in very specific locations throughout the butt of the cue to create an evenly balanced cue with feedback that is both crisp and lively. It really has to be felt to be appreciated. Custom feel in a production cue”Also Royces way
This is NO LONGER the case in the, shall we call it the SP (Sinott/Perry) cue. Dale Perry has come on to consult OB cues in effiency, which basically means that they have done away with the Straight Line Core construction and have started building them the way that Dale Perry builds his cheap ass ebay cues. Where quality doesn’t mean shit and quantity means everything. No Core, No centralized balanced system, just straight crap. Get as many out as you can, as fast as you can to meet orders.
“Do you think anybody will notice the difference in the “$1000 OB-135 if we build it the way Royce showed you how to build it or if we build it the way Dale Perry builds his cues?
“Yes I do, OB has a following that follows a certain construction method, the Royce construction method, the construction method that makes OB what it is & that people love.”
“They will never know the difference” –Shane Sinnott
I was the Master cue blanks builder for almost 5 years for OB Cues & this is part of the conversation we had on the day that I quit when Shane Sinnott & Dale Perry came at me with a different construction method in order to produce a larger quantity of cues, disregarding quality. It was all about filling orders, so building them in the fast, money driven way that Perry builds his $99 ebay cues was asked of me and I refused to change the way that I constructed OB Cues, the way Royce showed me how to construct OB Cues.
An employee was denied a well deserved raise after 9 years of service with OB & forced to quit. I myself as the ONLY blanks cuebuilder was passed over on a shop wide raise twice in the past 2 years. This is how OB treats its employees. Of course I am biased, and a little pissed about the situation at hand, but everything I speak of is the truth.
I know there are Dale Perry cheap ass ebay cue fans out there , but I also know that there are OB Cues fans that I, personally, have built a quality blood, sweat, and tears OB Cue for in the past 5 years. I just want you to know that from here on out you will not be getting a quality built OB Cue, because there is no one there to build them the way I built them, the way ROYCE showed me how to build them.
Instead, as part of the conversation went….
Royce is no longer part of this company…..you will be receiving a cue that is constructed with nothing but quantity in mind. So make your decision to buy any OB products wisely and keep in mind that the company is now run in the mindset…………QUANTITY OVER QUALITY!!!!!!

Shotcy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm. I just found a brand new OB 136. Im going to assume this stick model is fine with Royce being the builder at the time and all. Still buying. Sad to hear about OB. I have never owned or used one but after a year of me researching what stick to get and reading about different companies OB with out a doubt had the best reputation with their customers and product quality.

poolhalljnkie

House cue conversionist
Silver Member
Darn KT. You should go to bed a little earlier...

I usually go to bed plenty early, but this has been weighing on me a while now. I think the public should know the truth and I waited over 6 weeks so as not to bash and make sure my facts were straight...

As an employee that was done wrong for nearly 5 years, sure I agree I can come across as butthurt, but even tho, these are facts...

poolhalljnkie

House cue conversionist
Silver Member
Hmm. I just found a brand new OB 136. Im going to assume this stick model is fine with Royce being the builder at the time and all. Still buying. Sad to hear about OB. I have never owned or used one but after a year of me researching what stick to get and reading about different companies OB with out a doubt had the best reputation with their customers and product quality.

The 136 that you have found is perfectly fine as Royce built the 11 that were sold. Well, I built the blank for him to inlay, but still, it is from a good batch of blanks built the OB way, not like the forementioned Perry cheap ass ebay way. That started in April 2017.

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member

For LD production cues, and perhaps production cues in general, I'd say those honors go to Mezz.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
So the Billiards Expo has come and gone. A lot of great new innovative things going on in the billiard industry. A lot of new cue builders & companies out there. Some really cool stuff & some not so great stuff.
Speaking of the not so great stuff, if you ordered an OB cue at the expo, be prepared that it is not what was advertised.
“In March 2012 we were finally ready to start building complete cues so we launched the 2012 OB Cue line which consisted of 10 different playing cues built right here in our factory in Plano, Texas incorporating technologies in the butt of the cue that we researched for almost 2 years –Royces way The cues also has a Straight Line Core (SLC). The SLC construction guarantees a cue that is straighter, stronger, more stable and stiffer. This means that your cue will be built straight, stay straight and hit great. The cue also has a Centralized Balance System. This means that weight has been placed in very specific locations throughout the butt of the cue to create an evenly balanced cue with feedback that is both crisp and lively. It really has to be felt to be appreciated. Custom feel in a production cue”Also Royces way
This is NO LONGER the case in the, shall we call it the SP (Sinott/Perry) cue. Dale Perry has come on to consult OB cues in effiency, which basically means that they have done away with the Straight Line Core construction and have started building them the way that Dale Perry builds his cheap ass ebay cues. Where quality doesn’t mean shit and quantity means everything. No Core, No centralized balanced system, just straight crap. Get as many out as you can, as fast as you can to meet orders.
“Do you think anybody will notice the difference in the “$1000 OB-135 if we build it the way Royce showed you how to build it or if we build it the way Dale Perry builds his cues?
“Yes I do, OB has a following that follows a certain construction method, the Royce construction method, the construction method that makes OB what it is & that people love.”
I was the Master cue blanks builder for almost 5 years for OB Cues & this is part of the conversation we had on the day that I quit when Shane Sinnott & Dale Perry came at me with a different construction method in order to produce a larger quantity of cues, disregarding quality. It was all about filling orders, so building them in the fast, money driven way that Perry builds his $99 ebay cues was asked of me and I refused to change the way that I constructed OB Cues, the way Royce showed me how to construct OB Cues.
An employee was denied a well deserved raise after 9 years of service with OB & forced to quit. I myself as the ONLY blanks cuebuilder was passed over on a shop wide raise twice in the past 2 years. This is how OB treats its employees. Of course I am biased, and a little pissed about the situation at hand, but everything I speak of is the truth.
I know there are Dale Perry cheap ass ebay cue fans out there , but I also know that there are OB Cues fans that I, personally, have built a quality blood, sweat, and tears OB Cue for in the past 5 years. I just want you to know that from here on out you will not be getting a quality built OB Cue, because there is no one there to build them the way I built them, the way ROYCE showed me how to build them.
Royce is no longer part of this company…..you will be receiving a cue that is constructed with nothing but quantity in mind. So make your decision to buy any OB products wisely and keep in mind that the company is now run in the mindset…………QUANTITY OVER QUALITY!!!!!!

Very sorry to hear of any employee/founder being treated this way. Good luck out there Poolhall Junkie.

bmoretallpaul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to ask, if OB has a great following with their cues then why was Sinnott and Perry brought in anyway. Why fix something if it's not broke????

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a readable version of the OP

“In March 2012 we were finally ready to start building complete cues so we launched the 2012 OB Cue line which consisted of 10 different playing cues built right here in our factory in Plano, Texas incorporating technologies in the butt of the cue that we researched for almost 2 years –Royces way The cues also has a Straight Line Core (SLC). The SLC construction guarantees a cue that is straighter, stronger, more stable and stiffer.

This means that your cue will be built straight, stay straight and hit great. The cue also has a Centralized Balance System. This means that weight has been placed in very specific locations throughout the butt of the cue to create an evenly balanced cue with feedback that is both crisp and lively. It really has to be felt to be appreciated. Custom feel in a production cue”Also Royces way

I was the Master cue blanks builder for almost 5 years for OB Cues & this is part of the conversation we had on the day that I quit when Shane Sinnott & Dale Perry came at me with a different construction method in order to produce a larger quantity of cues, disregarding quality. It was all about filling orders, so building them in the fast, money driven way that Perry builds his $99 ebay cues was asked of me and I refused to change the way that I constructed OB Cues, the way Royce showed me how to construct OB Cues

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I have to ask, if OB has a great following with their cues then why was Sinnott and Perry brought in anyway. Why fix something if it's not broke????

If you didn't know Royce passed away. If the new owner wanted faster production & more money, you can assume why new people were brought in.

I was never a fan of ob to begin with so either way I'm good.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you didn't know Royce passed away. If the new owner wanted faster production & more money, you can assume why new people were brought in.

I was never a fan of ob to begin with so either way I'm good.

I'm a huge fan of OB. I'm not going to bash them. I'll wait for Shane to respond. I can see them trying to speed up production. But at the cost of quality would really bother me. I'm hoping they just called DP in to see if things could be changed to speed things up and make them more efficient. I'm on my 4th OB cue and I love their stuff. So I eagerly await a reply from them.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
The 136 that you have found is perfectly fine as Royce built the 11 that were sold. Well, I built the blank for him to inlay, but still, it is from a good batch of blanks built the OB way, not like the aforementioned Perry cheap ass ebay way. That started in April 2017.

Last week I purchased & received an OB-136 from Omega Billiards as well.

Wow, if only 11 of the OB-136 models were made & sold, I am truly holding one of the rare unicorns of cues.

It's a beautiful cue. I'm happy that I got an OB cue that was built by Royce (RIP).

I posted pics on 2 other threads if anyone is interested.

If what has been said in this thread is true, I wonder if their shaft quality will suffer as well. That is how they earned their reputation, is it not?

I'm eager to hear OB's response.

-Z-

Last edited:

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a lot of companies go through these types of growing pains while trying to capitalize on fulfilling the increase in demand. Would it not be tempting from a business perspective is you saw an opportunity to rapidly increase production by cutting a few corners? Maybe not just for cost savings, but to get your product into customers hands in a timely manner. Fulfilling promises to vendors... or whatever.

In actuality, wouldn't a brand benefit more form being consistently well produced and tough to keep in stock? A poorly executed growth strategy could ruin you. I say run lean and be "exclusive".

OB is local to me, and has made some great products. I hope they get on track again.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I see this topic made it to some groups on Facebook by the OP & it seems a few other OB employees have chimed in there as well saying it's true.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've been saying here for a while that OB quality has been falling fast.

But every time I say it I get criticized harshly for doing so.

How dare you criticize one of the few left American production cue makers etc etc.