Predator BK2 bumper thread
Old
  (#1)
Mirza
AzB Silver Member
Mirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Predator BK2 bumper thread - 05-18-2020, 06:38 AM

Is the Predator BK2 bumper thread the same as the thread in older Predator playing cues that don't fit the Predator QR extension?

In other words, if there is a custom extension (not Predator) for which the bumper fits the BK2 - will it fit my Predator 5k4?

Old
  (#2)
AzB Silver Member
Cron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2020, 07:19 AM

Not sure, but the newer stuff is M16 x 1.5.

I know this is correct for the below as I 3D print adapters/extensions.

Last edited by Cron; 05-18-2020 at 07:24 AM.

Old
  (#3)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirza View Post
Is the Predator BK2 bumper thread the same as the thread in older Predator playing cues that don't fit the Predator QR extension?

In other words, if there is a custom extension (not Predator) for which the bumper fits the BK2 - will it fit my Predator 5k4?
I thought the older Predators just had a push in bumper. Easy eneogh fix.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Old
  (#4)
Mirza
AzB Silver Member
Mirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2020, 10:39 AM

Here is my Predator 5k4 thread, in the first two pictures.

In the third picture is a bumper and thread of a BK2.

In short, I found someone who is selling extensions that he says fit his BK2, but I don't want to buy it until I'm sure that it will fit my Predator 5k4 cue too.
Attached Images

Old
  (#5)
AzB Silver Member
Cron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2020, 11:03 AM

Is there no way for you to measure it? If the diameter is 16mm, you'd be half way there. It does look like 1.5 per mm, but that's just by the pics. Do both fit?

Is the person selling it capable of making an adapter?

Old
  (#6)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Here is my Predator 5k4 thread, in the first two pictures.

In the third picture is a bumper and thread of a BK2.

In short, I found someone who is selling extensions that he says fit his BK2, but I don't want to buy it until I'm sure that it will fit my Predator 5k4 cue too.
I hear ya and I agree. I don't know the answer.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Old
  (#7)
Mirza
AzB Silver Member

05-18-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cron View Post
Is there no way for you to measure it? If the diameter is 16mm, you'd be half way there. It does look like 1.5 per mm, but that's just by the pics. Do both fit?

Is the person selling it capable of making an adapter?
I can't measure it, and he can't make an adapter, he just sells the extensions.

I'm just sure that this thread is different from new Predator cues that can fit the QR adapter (listed in the picture).
Attached Images

Old
  (#8)
AzB Silver Member

05-18-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I can't measure it, and he can't make an adapter, he just sells the extensions.

I'm just sure that this thread is different from new Predator cues that can fit the QR adapter (listed in the picture).
Just e-mail Predator, but it sounds like no, it won't work.

If I'm reading you correctly and you are already sure the thread is different than the 2012+ models (the ones in the picture from the seller), then it shouldn't work.

That said, if you e-mail Predator and get the spec. for the old style thread, you could possibly have an adapter made by a 3D printing service, although you'd have to supply the drawing. Although possible, that's not a sure thing if the hole is smaller on the 5k4 than it is on the newer style. Now if the hole is bigger on the 5k4, you're in great shape. If it's smaller it's doable too, but wall strength of the printed part may become an issue (and I wouldn't attempt it without access to a printer for trial and error).

EDIT: After looking at your 5k4 picture closely, you can surely print that.

Last edited by Cron; 05-18-2020 at 02:15 PM.

Old
  (#9)
Mirza
AzB Silver Member

05-18-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cron View Post
Just e-mail Predator, but it sounds like no, it won't work.

If I'm reading you correctly and you are already sure the thread is different than the 2012+ models (the ones in the picture from the seller), then it shouldn't work.

That said, if you e-mail Predator and get the spec. for the old style thread, you could possibly have an adapter made by a 3D printing service, although you'd have to supply the drawing. Although possible, that's not a sure thing if the hole is smaller on the 5k4 than it is on the newer style. Now if the hole is bigger on the 5k4, you're in great shape. If it's smaller it's doable too, but wall strength of the printed part may become an issue (and I wouldn't attempt it without access to a printer for trial and error).

EDIT: After looking at your 5k4 picture closely, you can surely print that.
Maybe you didn't understand me.

This dude is selling extensions that fit BK2, and I want to buy that extension, and QR2 by Predator DOESN'T fit BK2.

So I want just to know is BK2's bumper thread the same as in my Predator 5k4, if it is than I can use the extension that he is selling, which is different than QR2.

Old
  (#10)
AzB Silver Member

05-18-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Maybe you didn't understand me.

This dude is selling extensions that fit BK2, and I want to buy that extension, and QR2 by Predator DOESN'T fit BK2.

So I want just to know is BK2's bumper thread the same as in my Predator 5k4, if it is than I can use the extension that he is selling, which is different than QR2.
Ahhh, so you're hoping the BK2 and 5k4 have identical threads. Well, since both predate the newer style according to my searches, I think things look good. You of course should e-mail them, but how many different threads could they of made in that ~5 year time period?

Also, maybe the seller sells adapters for both the old and newer style. About 2 or 3 years ago I bought a 12" CF extension off of e-bay were the seller had adapters for both. The extension was O.K., but the adapter wasn't. The adapter was just trash, but the extension was very good if you could over look the weight. I bought it because I was told that it was lighter than the official extension, and while that is factually true, it was only lighter by something like .25 ounces.

Here's a picture of the original on the left and clone on the right. What you don't see is how on the clone, the center whole is not center, and that threw off the alignment to a noticeable amount.

For me, considering the above problems, I gave up with off the shelf stuff and made a small dedicated 3D printer for a while to make these adapters and extensions. To be honest, it's so far the best thing I ever decided for myself and billiards as I wound up understanding a lot more about weight and its distribution over all by using the CAD/CAM programs and their simulations. I had zero applicable experience with CAD/CAM prior. Although I am a tinker type and ex-programmer (as much as you can be an "ex programmer"), it was still billiards that sparked my interest in it and now I use it for many things, which very rarely is billiards anymore.

Old
  (#11)
AzB Silver Member

05-22-2020, 05:27 PM

Did you get an answer to this? I wanted to add the adapter to my little 3DP collection.

Predator gave me an ambiguous answer that doesn't make sense if your 5k4 is already threaded. Here is the answer...

Code:
The diameter is .57. 
The extension is .62, so there's room to thread it.

Old
  (#12)
Mirza
AzB Silver Member

05-23-2020, 12:51 AM

Yes, I asked Predator and they said that BK2 and 5k4 have the same, old, weight bolt system.

Old
  (#13)
AzB Silver Member

05-23-2020, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Yes, I asked Predator and they said that BK2 and 5k4 have the same, old, weight bolt system.
But what does that mean about the threading for an extension?

Old
  (#14)
Mirza
AzB Silver Member

05-23-2020, 01:15 AM

I have no idea, that is the answer they gave me.

Old
  (#15)
AzB Silver Member

05-23-2020, 03:01 PM

Well, I have to give up as well.

I know an adapter could be printed if the difference is only .05", but I'm surprised Predator isn't mentioning the threading. Are you sure there is atual threading and not just grooves to hold the bumper in? From the pictures it's kind of hard to tell if it's just grooves or grooves from threading.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: