Why is snooker profitable?

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's simple if you break it down to what it's actually all about. Money.

Businessmen in the snooker realm have found there are ways to market products and make money using snooker players. So those companies in turn add money to the snooker pots (which is the only way for pro athletes to make money, gambling is a farce and results in essentially nothing in the long run).

So why are snooker players marketable and pool players are not? At some point, I'd bet anything (I really know nothing of snooker) that a person or group of people, who also wanted to make money off snooker too btw, decided to market and elevate the game and have the players become stars. They got to work and just did that.

In the USA and in pool nobody is going to do that, nobody cares enough. Somebody of consequence, at some point, cared about snooker enough to put his crosshairs on it and say "I could use my money and influence anywhere to make money, but I am going to do it with snooker because these guys deserve it".

You also have that treadeau Catastrophe, where many of the players were really acting like third graders from what I could see. That'll give you some idea of the self destruction that will come even if someone does happen to want to come along and lift pool up.

Just what I think.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member

Businessmen in the snooker realm have found there are ways to market products and make money using snooker players. So those companies in turn add money to the snooker pots (which is the only way for pro athletes to make money, gambling is a farce and results in essentially nothing in the long run).

So why are snooker players marketable and pool players are not? At some point, I'd bet anything (I really know nothing of snooker) that a person or group of people, who also wanted to make money off snooker too btw, decided to market and elevate the game and have the players become stars. They got to work and just did that.

In the USA and in pool nobody is going to do that, nobody cares enough. Somebody of consequence, at some point, cared about snooker enough to put his crosshairs on it and say "I could use my money and influence anywhere to make money, but I am going to do it with snooker because these guys deserve it".

You also have that treadeau Catastrophe, where many of the players were really acting like third graders from what I could see. That'll give you some idea of the self destruction that will come even if someone does happen to want to come along and lift pool up.

Just what I think.

Good post. Yes pool players will invariably end up sabotaging and ruining something good except for one thing that snooker does that you forgot about which all but prevents it and certainly keeps it under control. They enforce penalties for inappropriate behavior, and not just slaps on the wrist, but penalties that are severe enough to actually change behavior. They fine the players, heavily. They suspend them from multiple events. In the worst cases they ban them permanently and forever.

They don't care what a name or star you are either--you will get a sanction just like the next guy and sanctions are applied evenly. Those kind of repercussions get results but people in pool have very rarely ever had the guts to use them.

O'SulliReyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I can say is that as long as pool associates itself with the road and the gambling mentality, pool will continue to be snooker's poor cousin. And we will forever be content with bush-league tournaments, get suckered in with 35 dollar chalks and other marketing bollocks and 100K challenge matches streamed online and commentated by well-meaning folks who should be behind a computer rather than behind a microphone.

Pool is a beautiful sport, and there is no reason why pool can't be every bit as successful as snooker. Until that time comes, snooker will remain the dominant cue sport, as it has been for the past 20 years or so (or maybe longer).

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Why is snooker well sponsored and in turn the players make great money?

I don't want to hear opinions about what needs to change about pool in America. I just want to look at it from the lens of what has made snooker successful.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Can you give names or at meast the number of snooker players making at least $50,000 + a year? Because ic there isn't at least a 100+ players making that as a minimum, why would you think Snooker pays so well?

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you give names or at meast the number of snooker players making at least $50,000 + a year? Because ic there isn't at least a 100+ players making that as a minimum, why would you think Snooker pays so well?

You are overlooking the fact, that as with any sport, the best players will always perservere..There are probably 20 snooker players making a good living (100K plus) playing the game!..Whereas in pool we have what, maybe one?..I don't see that ever changing, do you?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like somewhere around 50 players earning at least $50,000 a year in snooker prize money: http://www.worldsnooker.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Click-here-for-the-full-list.pdf
That's incredibly top-heavy, but then again so are other individual sports.

The difference is that with tennis and golf you can add a zero to the end of the number...

http://www.protennislive.com/posting/ramr/current_prize.pdf
http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.109.html

Presumably endorsements are similarly top-heavy. Lower-level tennis players making 200k/year can easily blow all of that on travel, training, taxes and other costs so their real salary comes from endorsements. But when you're only making 30k in prize funds it's hard to imagine that those guys are getting much in the way of endorsements aside from free snooker stuff.

acesinc1999

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just what I think.

Other than the first line, this is prescient and accurate; impressive for knowing little to nothing about Snooker. :thumbup:

It is about the game first, not about the money, the sponsors, or anything else but the game first. If the game is not marketable, the game will not be marketed beyond a minimal degree.

You would win your bet; his name was Joe Davis and he is Snooker's equivalent of Lord Stanley, he of the Stanley Cup fame. Joe was the founder of the original tournament and the undefeated Snooker World Champion from 1927 through 1946. He bought the Championship Trophy with a part of his original prize purse in 1927 and that same trophy remains the most sought after piece of hardware in the world of Snooker today. Joe recognized that the popular and profitable game of his time, English Billiards, was in an unrecoverable downward spiral primarily because the players had become so good that it was no longer interesting to the spectator which is the core of marketability. English Billiards in the early 1900's endured a similar problem to Straight Pool of the 50's and 60's. The Billiards players had become so good at the craft, they were not interesting to watch; they could be at the table for a break of 1000 or 1500 points (doesn't matter that you don't know what that means....suffice to say the same player would stay at the table for hours on end continuing to score while everyone else in the place would try to keep their droopy eyes propped open). Limitations were introduced on certain scoring shots to prevent this sort of thing but the players learned connecting shots to string together different scoring shots to effectively bypass the limitations. It was no longer interesting, or exciting. In my mind, it parallels Mosconi's 526....undeniably an incredible feat requiring superior talent. But who is going to actually sit there and watch it?

Prior to that, Snooker was a "warm up" game for the Billiards players. They didn't take it seriously; just a way to get their stroke flowing. Think of it like basketball players shooting free throws before the game. The English Billiards players actually thought that Snooker was "too easy" so no one would be interested to watch it and did not develop it much at all for decades. Joe Davis saw it through different eyes. He recognized the character and nuance of Snooker and began to take it seriously and challenged the other players....and he would always win because he actually developed a different approach to Snooker from English Billiards. (Again, go to the free throw example.....Joe actually developed a completely different stroke to play Snooker so think of the first guy that used the "granny shot" free throw style. I know this sounds a ridiculous comparison but it just makes the point of how differently Joe Davis saw Snooker from anyone else of the time.)

The other players could no longer say the game of Snooker was too easy to be interesting because they simply couldn't beat the guy. And spectators did find this interesting. The game moves fast, unlike Pool. When you understand Snooker, the shots may be obvious but they are never easy. Again, think of basketball...would you be interested if you have to endure watching the guy with the ball consider what he should do for a full 30 or 40 seconds (while the opposing team obligingly stands in place so he can look at the situation from all angles) before he finally decides to drive and take a shot? To me, that is what watching Pool is like.

The modern Snooker players know what needs to be done and they just do it. And the actual strokes are difficult enough that they fail regularly so that the other guy gets a turn at the table. To me, a "six pack" or any other "pack" is ridiculous and not interesting or appealing at all. Clearly, the actual shots are too easy despite the fact that the player has to take 30 seconds or a minute before each stroke to figure out exactly what he wants to do. Nobody is interested in watching someone "think" for minutes on end; may as well watch untimed chess.

While it clearly has a core following, Pool as a game is not marketable to the masses. Snooker is.