McDermott Sledgehammer break cue

fram6878

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello. I am looking for opinions on the McDermott Sledgehammer Break cue and how it compares to their Stinger break cue. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thoughts are that break cues don't really give you an edge, go for the one you like or can afford. If you can shoot straight consistantly with break speed power then a break cue is only good for not smashing your playing cues tip.

If you're pro level tell your sponsor or your backer you need a BKrush.

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, I have a Stinger. It's fine as a break cue, not great as a jump unless you get the optional stinger jump handle.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sledgehammer in my opinion. I have used both, however, I will say that the original sledge Mike G. made were better...

RandyinHawaii

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Had and played both. thought the Sledgehammer broke better, so that is the one I am using. Sold Stinger to a friend and he thinks it is the best break cue he has ever tried.

Goes to show that it really boils down to what works best for you.

Aloha
Randy

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another sledgehammer fan here, but more for the jumping aspect.

That shit's legal cheating.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a Stinger. Not much good to say about it.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

ascreech

Registered
I tried an original Sledgehammer several years ago. I liked it, but not enough to replace the Stinger I already had. I still use the Stinger for breaking, but I've changed it to a White Diamond tip; breaks great.

- Andrew

fram6878

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses everyone. Is the taper stiffer on the Sledgehammer? Also, is the Sledgehammer hit harder vs the Stinger?

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
After having tried many of the dedicated break cues I've come to the conclusion that it's
not really the cue so much as the tip and a personal preference regarding the weight of
the breaker. Once I started to use a dedicated break cue and purchased a cue identified
by the manufacturer as a "Break Cue" I never really noticed much difference in the J & J
breaker which was at the time one of the more cost effective on the market, to the
Predator BK series which can be some of the more expensive breakers on the market.
Most people opt for the heaviest cannon they can hold with one arm and still break with.
What I have found is that for me personally is the lighter the better. More stick speed
in the arm swing and a harder leather tip produces a better more controlled break, but
that's me, and that's not what everyone looks for or wants. What I wound up using in the
end of all my experiments is a 15 oz sneaky that I had made as a player with a long pro
taper, the tip at about 12.8, and a Samsara break tip. A BK, or a Rift, or a Stinger, as
manufactured really broke no better than the Rage or Rino. Then it became a matter of
finding what I was most comfortable with, it came down to the taper, and for me my
sneaky breaker is the shit. I haven't found anything better.
A better break isn't necessarily a 25 oz ball crusher, it's something that will let you
keep control of the table, after all what good is a huge break if all you do is open up
all the balls and break dry allowing your opponent to run out?
Pick what works best for you, what will help you to achieve your goal, what will
ultimately help you win, that's the breaker you want

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I don't think the OP can go wrong with a Sledgehammer. It's been 18 years since Mike Gulyassy came out with the design and I don't think McDermott would still be producing them if folks weren't buying.

Sledgehammer in my opinion. I have used both, however, I will say that the original sledge Mike G. made were better...

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I break with both and they both break good. If you want a dedicated breaker then for the price you can't go wrong. Of course the major difference is that the sledgehammer as the sport grip and the stinger does not. If you want a jump break cue then I would go with the stinger. It breaks and jumps well. A friend of mine who uses the stinger jump cue in our artistic pool events has won 2 world jump titles with it. But with everything, go with what you like and can afford.

fram6878

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I break with both and they both break good. If you want a dedicated breaker then for the price you can't go wrong. Of course the major difference is that the sledgehammer as the sport grip and the stinger does not. If you want a jump break cue then I would go with the stinger. It breaks and jumps well. A friend of mine who uses the stinger jump cue in our artistic pool events has won 2 world jump titles with it. But with everything, go with what you like and can afford.

Is the shaft taper different on these two break cues?

buttnkdwonder

Registered
For those familiar with both, how does the Sledgehammer compare to a BK2 or BK3? Obviously the Predator is more expensive--is there technology supporting that added expense or is it really just that Predator does a great job marketing their cues?

Right now I'm breaking with a house cue so really anything with a proper break tip would be an upgrade, but looking at the Sledgehammer and BK2/3 as upgrade options and wondering if it's worth forking out the extra dough for the Predator.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah the Patent Pending Sledgehammers made in Taiwan were okay just over priced.

And here we all thought they were made in USA.:wink:

fram6878

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious, but what does the location these cues are made have to do with the questions anyone asked in this thread??

Yeah the Patent Pending Sledgehammers made in Taiwan were okay just over priced.

And here we all thought they were made in USA.:wink:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Makes me curious to know if the Jerry Powers Stingers were better/worse than the current McDermott Stingers.

Maniac

Edited to add: FWIW, I have some inexpensive Action J/B cues, one in my home rack and two more in my cases with some spare cues. I find them to break AND jump just fine...especially for what I paid for them.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
There has been at least 4 different makers of Sledgehammer. Custom Cuemaker Mike Gulyassy used to charge $600, before it went mass production. Some are held in higher regard than others.

For those familiar with both, how does the Sledgehammer compare to a BK2 or BK3? Obviously the Predator is more expensive--is there technology supporting that added expense or is it really just that Predator does a great job marketing their cues?

Right now I'm breaking with a house cue so really anything with a proper break tip would be an upgrade, but looking at the Sledgehammer and BK2/3 as upgrade options and wondering if it's worth forking out the extra dough for the Predator.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious, but what does the location these cues are made have to do with the questions anyone asked in this thread??

They are very different cues, in my experience. Specs might be the same, but the materials and finished product that came solely from baby's hands was too notch.