Tournament Press Releases

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know if the directors of these big tournaments ever issue a press release about the tournament or once it is over with the results?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked that question at Magoos once & Mac replied that he didn't fool with them....

I wondered about that, especially since since all or most of our tournament players have family & friends. Seeing yourself in the newspaper, in the Sports Section, ain't too bad. I've had my picture in there, more than once. I think that kind of thing would generate interest in the community...

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's say if it makes the main page of AZB it's probably worth a local reporters time.
What kind of "local" reporters? You mean regular media like tv/newspaper? Or just on-line reports? Most sports reporters don't even know pool exists.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe we can generate some interest for them. Lets all bombard some sports reporter's email, asking for new results on a specific tournament...?????

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe we can generate some interest for them. Lets all bombard some sports reporter's email, asking for new results on a specific tournament...?????
CB, we used to get 'em covered in Tulsa 'cause one of Jim's domino players wrote for the Tulsa World. Pool is just not on their radar screen AT ALL. Only place you'll see pool results is on-line, usually on FB.

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CB, we used to get 'em covered in Tulsa 'cause one of Jim's domino players wrote for the Tulsa World. Pool is just not on their radar screen AT ALL. Only place you'll see pool results is on-line, usually on FB.

This is true. So to get it back on everyone's radar, the press needs press releases.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is true. So to get it back on everyone's radar, the press needs press releases.
The WPA has a press officer. There is a Matchroom media guy who sends out messages frequently. John Schmidt got into local TV and the New York Times for his high runs. But a major problem is that newspapers are disappearing. There is no one to send a press release to. Billiard magazines are disappearing too.

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The WPA has a press officer. There is a Matchroom media guy who sends out messages frequently. John Schmidt got into local TV and the New York Times for his high runs. But a major problem is that newspapers are disappearing. There is no one to send a press release to. Billiard magazines are disappearing too.

Matchroom and John both sent out press releases. Any local TV station will have a person who manages incoming press releases and the Associate Press could always be written.

here is the email if anyone is interested...Press releases should be emailed to info@ap.org.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim is the very man that said to me, "he didn't fool with the newspapers or TV...." We should make an effort, across the land to get the newspapers printing articles about our Sport...

This Little Light Of Mine, Yes, I'm gonna let it shine, Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine....

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the big PR misconceptions in life is that:

A. If you send out a press release, you've fulfilled your duties to advertise your event.

B. That said release should result in publicity for your event.

Regrettably, most tournament directors don't even make the smallest effort to publicize the results of their events in the first place (see B.)

Loo Figueroa
there's a little
bit more to it