Upgrading GCI to slate levelers

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Hey all, I have a GCI that is in need of new cloth. I came up with the bright idea of adding adjustable slate levelers, probably similar to what is on the GCV and GCVI tables only because they may be a little easier for me to install but I am not against a Diamond wedge type of leveler. My questions are is this a good idea and where do the levelers get located?? Lastly can I keep my slate dowels? I like them and it makes it easy for me to set up the slate because mine lines up really nice with the dowels, I dont know if that is common or not. I am having a difficult finding pictures of a either a GC or Diamond with the slate off of the table and the leveling system exposed, a picture is worth a thousand words. Thank you for any help anyone can offer.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Hey all, I have a GCI that is in need of new cloth. I came up with the bright idea of adding adjustable slate levelers, probably similar to what is on the GCV and GCVI tables only because they may be a little easier for me to install but I am not against a Diamond wedge type of leveler. My questions are is this a good idea and where do the levelers get located?? Lastly can I keep my slate dowels? I like them and it makes it easy for me to set up the slate because mine lines up really nice with the dowels, I dont know if that is common or not. I am having a difficult finding pictures of a either a GC or Diamond with the slate off of the table and the leveling system exposed, a picture is worth a thousand words. Thank you for any help anyone can offer.

They actually took out the perimeter levelers out of the frame of the GC6. They used them on the 4/5.
I think this is a great idea and would like to get more confirmation that this will in fact work. IMO it will make GC 1/2/3, Anniversary and Centennials so much easier to set up with this and be far more accurate. Looking for some of the higher ups to give their opinions.

Trent from Toledo

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
there are a few issues for sure! I suspect the Cobra will chime in and shoot holes in the gc 4/5 leveler idea!

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
there are a few issues for sure! I suspect the Cobra will chime in and shoot holes in the gc 4/5 leveler idea!

This topic is not worth my time, I have better things to do, rather than have to go into all the reasons why you'd be better off using wedges to level the slates, if the table wasn't designed for a leveling system in the first place.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
This topic is not worth my time, I have better things to do, rather than have to go into all the reasons why you'd be better off using wedges to level the slates, if the table wasn't designed for a leveling system in the first place.

I know how the wedge levelers work on a Diamond and it would not take much to install them on a GC frame. Sorry you don't feel like getting into this. I will do some measuring and investigation myself.

Trent from Toledo.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trent i know you post manuals for tables.
Are you able to post clear pics of the levelers for both GC & Diamond?

Thanks!
smt

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Trent i know you post manuals for tables.
Are you able to post clear pics of the levelers for both GC & Diamond?

Thanks!
smt

The Brunswick Manuals do not clearly show the frames or levelers.

The main issue I see for the GC 1 Anny or Centennial is how the frame flares out from the edge and getting thicker as it goes down if the slate liners do not line up with the thicker part of the frame, it might not work out so well. I will have to do some measuring and research.

As far as the Diamonds , I have never seen a manual for their tables. The use "wings" to add the levelers on top of the deck of the table.

Trent from Toledo

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member

The main issue I see for the GC 1 Anny or Centennial is how the frame flares out from the edge and getting thicker as it goes down if the slate liners do not line up with the thicker part of the frame, it might not work out so well. I will have to do some measuring and research.

As far as the Diamonds , I have never seen a manual for their tables. The use "wings" to add the levelers on top of the deck of the table.

Trent from Toledo

Have you noticed how many slate screws are used to mount the Diamond slates vs GC's?

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Trent from Toledo

Using your wildest imagination, please, tell me how you're going to fine tune the level of the slate on a GC when the slate is mounted to the frame of the table with slate screws, that you have NO access to because the heads of the screws are cover over with the bed cloth, rails, pockets, and rail skirts, and in the case of a GC1, with the plastic skirt extension in place....you can't even get to the rail bolts to tighten them later on, because you have no access!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Older Professionals have screws. Newer, neither model has the screws. Let's get to the good stuff you rowdy old SNAKE!!! :)

Trent

No, sorry, newer Professionals DON'T use slate screws, the slates are free floating!! The OLDER Professionals didn't have a loving system, you needed to use wedges to level those slates. And required the.same disassembly to relieve the slates that a GC requires!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
There's your Diamond leveling system on a Professional. Tell me, how would any of you propose to incorporate that into a GC, with the slates screwed to the frame???

Attachments

• img20191030_121818.jpg
    img20191030_121818.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 305

realkingcobra

Silver Member
In order for it to be a leveling system, it MUST be able to be used to level the slates after assembling the table, not by having to take the table apart so you can free up the slates from the frame of the table in order to make the adjustments needed. If you have to go through all that to level the slates again, you might as well just stick to using wedges. And Trent, Brunswick dropped most of its leveling system because no one used it, instead, they used wedges....why is that???

realkingcobra

Silver Member
This is my leveling system on a GC1, figure it out, but keep in mind, the slates are free floating, as in NOT screwed to the frame!!

Attachments

• 20170703_123034_1024x1024.jpg
    20170703_123034_1024x1024.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 312
  • 20170420_180410_resize_20170502_114256.jpg
    20170420_180410_resize_20170502_114256.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 305

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the pics and the analysis!

I could *almost* see incorporating something like that into my wife's 1927 T rail, since it needs re-built anyway. It came with about half a pinochle deck dealt out under it, when taking it apart on site. :) This is actually (well sort of) giving me ideas because i'd love to have it set up to use. However, if so, will have to move it back & forth a couple times while working on the room & floors. Renovation and necessary house repairs is now looking like a multi-year project at this point.

But contrary to suddenly having that idea to consider, i think originally some of us were merely thinking whether a leveling system would facilitate setting the slates before covering, as opposed to shims (cards, etc). Apparently the shims are faster and solider for a pro.

The OLDER Professionals didn't have a loving system..

Too much information, Glen, too much information. :eek:

smt

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thanks for the pics and the analysis!

I could *almost* see incorporating something like that into my wife's 1927 T rail, since it needs re-built anyway. It came with about half a pinochle deck dealt out under it, when taking it apart on site. :) This is actually (well sort of) giving me ideas because i'd love to have it set up to use. However, if so, will have to move it back & forth a couple times while working on the room & floors. Renovation and necessary house repairs is now looking like a multi-year project at this point.

But contrary to suddenly having that idea to consider, i think originally some of us were merely thinking whether a leveling system would facilitate setting the slates before covering, as opposed to shims (cards, etc). Apparently the shims are faster and solider for a pro.

Too much information, Glen, too much information. :eek:

smt

In 38 years of working on pool tables, I've NEVER used playing cards to level the slates.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Installing the levelers just like the GC 4/5 would work
and allow for more accurate leveling even with the screws,
than with no levelers at all. If all hell breaks loose and you
have to pull the cloth back to expose the screws to work on
them it is totally fine by me. I agree it is not as convenient
as the wedges on a Diamond, but, we are talking about a table
that was made without any levelers. RKC, I think you know
I like the leveler in the GC 4/5 more than the wedges.
It would be a huge improvement and better than using shims.
I am going to try it on my next Anniversary restoration
and I will report the results :)

Trent from Toledo

Attachments

• 90192A136p1-b01-digitall@1x_636849146629405925.png
    90192A136p1-b01-digitall@1x_636849146629405925.png
    11 KB · Views: 235
  • 81A9wJolleL._SL1500_.jpg
    81A9wJolleL._SL1500_.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 237

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Installing the levelers just like the GC 4/5 would work
and allow for more accurate leveling even with the screws,
than with no levelers at all. If all hell breaks loose and you
have to pull the cloth back to expose the screws to work on
them it is totally fine by me. I agree it is not as convenient
as the wedges on a Diamond, but, we are talking about a table
that was made without any levelers. RKC, I think you know
I like the leveler in the GC 4/5 more than the wedges.
It would be a huge improvement and better than using shims.
I am going to try it on my next Anniversary restoration
and I will report the results :)

Trent from Toledo
The difference between you coming back and fine tune leveling the slates and me, with my system....is I'll be done and gone before you can even get started.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
The difference
between you coming back and fine tune leveling
the slates and me, with my system....is I'll be
done and gone before you can even get started.

You are the COBRA!!! You ornery old snake, I don't expect to
beat ya at this. I am just trying to make it easier to level these
old ass tables with out rebuilding the frames.
I will report my results and I have an Anniversary
sale working right now. Excited to try it out.
I am betting I can pull it off. :thumbup:

Trent from Toledo

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You are the COBRA!!! You ornery old snake, I don't expect to
beat ya at this. I am just trying to make it easier to level these
old ass tables with out rebuilding the frames.
I will report my results and I have an Anniversary
sale working right now. Excited to try it out.
I am betting I can pull it off. :thumbup:

Trent from Toledo

Still stacking up piles of shims under the pedestals to level the frame??