Pipe Dream: Billiards in the Olympics

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
If a billiard sport or cue sport were selected for the Olympics which game should be played at that level?

Would having billiards in Paralympic Games be a better starting point that the Olympics?

If a billiard sport or cue sport were selected for the Olympics which game should be played at that level?

Would having billiards in Paralympic Games be a better starting point that the Olympics?

I do not know, but I can't imagine pool ever being considered an Olympic sport, because it is really not much of a physical activity. Are there any Olympic sports that require just as little physical activity as pool does? I would be very surprised if there are. I remember hearing Earl Strickland say in an interview that Pool is not really a physical sport (I assume he has been really into other types of physical sports in the past). Sorry for going off topic a little.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

chinese 8-ball will be an olympic sport... sooner than later

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
chinese 8-ball will be an olympic sport... sooner than later
Under which international sports confederation? Which countries will have national championships in place before that happens?

If cue sports were selected, I imagine the format would be a lot like the format in the World Games. See https://theworldgames2017.com/en/ for the latest World Games format and results.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And if there was to be an ice cream store that only sold one flavor, what flavor should it be?
:slap:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And if there was to be an ice cream store that only sold one flavor, what flavor should it be?
:slap:
Neapolitan?

neapolitan.jpg

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

First, let me chime-in with:
Justnum, why would you even consider billiards in the "Paralympic Games?"

Second, IMO, for billiards to work in the Olympics, I say NO professionals, keep it for the amateurs.

Third, the game to be played would be 8-ball.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
First, let me chime-in with:
Justnum, why would you even consider billiards in the "Paralympic Games?"

Second, IMO, for billiards to work in the Olympics, I say NO professionals, keep it for the amateurs.

Third, the game to be played would be 8-ball.
There are wheel-chair billiard championships.

No, professionals compete in most/all the Olympic events. Professionals compete in the billiard events in the World Games.

8-ball is very unlikely to be the sole discipline.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The golf in the last Olympics had quite a few pros and gold was won by a pro Justin Rose.
Might be hard to keep the pros out if it ever happens.

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So many questions..
I guess the main one I have is "why would you want billiards in the Olympics?" But let's skip this one.

Why would you prefer billiards for the Paralympics? What's wrong with being played by people without disabilities? Why not in both Olympics and Paralympics?

Why on earth should not be played by pros??? I honestly can't understand why would you want this to happen. This idea makes literary no sense at all.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not done.

This fact has been known since 2013:

Www.google.com
Neapolitan Ice Cream is made up of blocks of the three most popular ice cream flavors strawberry, chocolate and vanilla put side by side as one big block of ice cream. ... It's not a choice of flavors, rather a meld of flavors.Jul 29, 2013

O'SulliReyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Snooker. Whether you like it or not, snooker is the current dominant cue sport, and compared to rotation/8ball pool:

- it has a way better TV coverage and more lucrative sponsorship.
- it has a PROPER governing body.
- most, if not all, snooker professionals are subject to its governing body's rules.
- it has a better overall presentation and reputation.
- it has more consistent rules and standardized equipment.
- it is arguably a better spectator sport than pool.
- luck factor is less significant due to demanding equipment and the nature of the game itself, and is therefore a better gauge of cueing ability.

Simply put, if snooker will not be good enough to be included in the Olympics, then what chance do other cue sports have?

Last edited:

justnum

Silver Member
The main point of starting this thread was to think about billiards at the Olympic level.

Is it best showcased as a match in a single discipline like 8-ball or a snooker.

Or would a comprehensive format be better? Similar to how MMA combined multiple fighting styles into one match.

There was a recent exhibition between a champion MMA fighter and a multi-weight class champion boxer. The viewership was record setting.

That example (Mayweather vs. McGregor) shows how mixing all the old strengths of different disciplines into one game can create new interest. And let a new generation have something of their own to start and develop. They won't have to compete against legends of old. They can define what is important and create their own best practices.

Clearly the old ways won out, but it created interest in a new generation.

How would a mixed billiard game be like? Is playing each game in sequence better or is there a way to combine them into a single table match?

Last edited:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main point of starting this thread was to think about billiards at the Olympic level.

Is it best showcased as a match in a single discipline like 8-ball or a snooker.

Or would a comprehensive format be better? Similar to how MMA combined multiple fighting styles into one match.

There was a recent exhibition between a champion MMA fighter and a multi-weight class champion boxer. The viewership was record setting.

That example (Mayweather vs. McGregor) shows how mixing all the old strengths of different disciplines into one game can create new interest. And let a new generation have something of their own to start and develop. They won't have to compete against legends of old. They can define what is important and create their own best practices.

Clearly the old ways won out, but it created interest in a new generation.

How would a mixed billiard game be like? Is playing each game in sequence better or is there a way to combine them into a single table match?

Isn’t that Chinese 8-Ball?

Snooker style table with pool rules and balls.

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The mcgregor mayweather match was not a mixed match, it was full on boxing rules. Just because one opponent is coming from another discipline doesn't make it mixed, if he subjects himself to full boxing rules. That's like saying Ronnie O'Sullivan playing in the world 9 ball championship makes it a mixed match.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

justnum

Silver Member
Suppose billiards made it into the Olympics, would there be enough pool fans interested in participating to attend and support the Olympics in the host city.

The worst decision IOC can make is to gamble on a sport, and attendance/viewership/interest is not as high as it was promoted. IOC wasted their time and has two wait the four years for another chance.

If billiards debuted in the Olympics it has to have enough support to keep it there. There has been a lot of interest in why billiards/snookers is a great candidate. But which events show the numbers, or fans willing to travel to watch those events live and in person.

The best I usually see are fans show up around the finals of a major tournament, but throughout the earlier matches are not available.