Bar tables...a plus for pool

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
By Ron Kantowski Las Vegas Review-Journal
August 17, 2017 - 5:35 pm

It is billed as “The World’s Largest Pool Tournament,” so noted by Guinness World Records in 2010. These are the facts — some official, some not so — that make this week’s American Poolplayers Association World Pool Championships at the Westgate bigger than Minnesota Fats:

— Days: Eight.

— Players: 12,800.

— Tables: 327.

— Purse: $1.2 million.

— Championships: 9-Ball, 8-Ball, Ladies 8-Ball, Jack & Jill, Masters. Plus MiniMania events, wheelchair events, trick-shot artist events and dozens of exhibitor booths stretching down corridors to the iconic Benihana hibachi — about the only place at the Westgate where tables aren’t covered by green felt this week.

— Square feet of felt: The dimensions of a regulation Valley Cougar pool table are 3½ feet x 7 feet. You do the math.

— Trucks used to transport pool tables from Fort Collins, Colorado, to Las Vegas: You can fit 40 tables in a truck, so what, about eight or nine?

— Bars: Seven.

— Kegs of beers consumed: Too many to count.

— Cigarettes smoked: Zero, at least in the Westgate’s temporary pool halls. A city ordinance prevents smoking in a temporary pool hall. The outdoor gangway between the Westgate and the Las Vegas Convention Center is another matter. The surgeon general is nowhere to be found in that gangway.

— Nods to Fast Eddie Felson, Jackie Gleason, Paul Newman, Tom Cruise and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio’s character in “The Color of Money”: Around 28 or 29 during the three hours I was there. (There also was a mention of John Turturro, who played Julian.)

— Eight-balls in the side pocket: 334,128 (Not counting the practice tables).

— Sleeping women stretched out on multiple chairs in the spectator area during a MiniMania event at 9:35 a.m. Wednesday: One.

Just about everybody’s in for pool at the Westgate this week.

Ordinary Joes, Josephines

“You have everyday people that are here,” Jason Bowman, marketing director of the APA, said about the level of team competition. “Firefighters, housewives, truck drivers — just a combination of all walks of life that happen to enjoy the sport of pool.

“About 40 million people a year pick up a cue stick and play pool; we have 250,000 players around the country that do that weekly with us in our APA leagues … for entertainment, for enjoyment, for camaraderie. This is just kind of the culmination of that activity.”

Bowman started to wave his hand toward the tables, where the clickety-clack of billiard balls was making a familiar and much magnified sound. But the expanse of tables was so wide he quickly thought better of it, for fear of stretching ligaments in his waving hand.

For every recreational pool player who was sinking an eight-ball in the side pocket, there were a dozen or more strolling to and from the Westgate ballrooms, carrying pool cues in cases like clarinets or Tommy Guns.

I was introduced to Robert Hall of Huntsville, Alabama, a multi-time masters champion who has done everything there is to do in recreational pool, with the exception of making a cameo in the classic “Bad to the Bone” MTV video with George Thorogood and Bo Diddley.

Pool shootin’ boy

If there is a Bizarro World pool hall, then Robert Hall is its Eddie Felson. He neither smokes nor drinks. He has never hustled anybody on a pool table, or so he says. He has a degree in mechanical engineering from Florida State; he says he comes to this ginormous event at the Westgate for entertainment, for enjoyment, for camaraderie.

“Love all the competition, the staff, a lot of people from all over the country that I’ve gotten to know over the years,” said Hall, who has one pool table at home, another 24 at Bumper Billiards, a hall he owns in Huntsville where smoking is permitted.

Remember that old Jim Croce song about playing pool for big money on 42nd Street? Outta South Alabama came a country boy, a pool shootin’ boy named Willie McCoy. Back home they called him Slim.

Robert Hall says that’s not him. He’s left-handed. Besides, Huntsville is in northern Alabama, not far from the Tennessee border.

“It’s just a lot of fun to play in the Minis, the Masters, and if my eight- or nine-ball team makes it (to the later rounds), that’s even better,” he says.

That’s Robert Hall’s story at the World Pool Championships. And he insists he has never hustled anybody, though I’m not sure Fats or Willie Mosconi would believe it.

O'SulliReyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can definitely respect the sheer amount of logistics and manpower required to run this event. No shortage of capable and passionate men and women behind this noble effort to keep American pool alive to the American public. But I'd be hard-pressed to call this a "World Pool Championship".

Maybe it's just me, but obligatory references to Minnesota Fats, Paul Newman and "The Color of Money" is starting to border on the cringe-worthy territory. It's 2017, not the Cold War era.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the UK started playing snooker on 10' tables like the US plays pool on bar tables, would the state of British snooker come to resemble that of pool in America?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a double edged sword in my opinion. One side is good because it’s bringing a lot of people into playing the games and those people are buying cues and everything else that goes a long with it. It’s never a bad thing if people are playing and helping keeping alive the game we love. On the other side of that small tables maybe stifling the growth and potetential of future champions. It’s hard to find big tables in certain area’s . I know here either I have to join a club or i have to travel over to lancaster to find a big table.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7 feet tables? That's rough. That's not pool.
You can blow balls into holes then, no need for a stick.

So I’m guessing you put together 10 packs on a bar table with no problem? I’m not saying that big table pool doesn’t take a better stroke to get around but don’t act like it doesn’t take any skill to run racks on a small table.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I’m guessing you put together 10 packs on a bar table with no problem? I’m not saying that big table pool doesn’t take a better stroke to get around but don’t act like it doesn’t take any skill to run racks on a small table.

Exactly, If I had a 6'x12 snooker table that is all I would play on, although do to space restraints I have a 7' table in my house. People tend to have some type of comment about how easy they are when they first come over, then we play a game of straight pool and their high run is like 18.
LOL

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly, If I had a 6'x12 snooker table that is all I would play on, although do to space restraints I have a 7' table in my house. People tend to have some type of comment about how easy they are when they first come over, then we play a game of straight pool and their high run is like 18.
LOL

Haha exactly. I would love to have a 9 foot table in my house . Unfortunately i don’t have the space . I have valley bar box that honestly with the rails make my pockets feel tighter then a diamond bar box. It still takes skill to acuratly move that cue ball through tight spaces. I’ll never say it’s harder then playing on a 9 foot but it isn’t as easy to string racks together as people act like it is.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I can definitely respect the sheer amount of logistics and manpower required to run this event. No shortage of capable and passionate men and women behind this noble effort to keep American pool alive to the American public. But I'd be hard-pressed to call this a "World Pool Championship".

Maybe it's just me, but obligatory references to Minnesota Fats, Paul Newman and "The Color of Money" is starting to border on the cringe-worthy territory. It's 2017, not the Cold War era.

There are teams from Japan and Canada so that is a little more worldly than just the United States

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haha exactly. I would love to have a 9 foot table in my house . Unfortunately i don’t have the space . I have valley bar box that honestly with the rails make my pockets feel tighter then a diamond bar box. It still takes skill to acuratly move that cue ball through tight spaces. I’ll never say it’s harder then playing on a 9 foot but it isn’t as easy to string racks together as people act like it is.

Out of curiosity which rails do you have?

I put Ridgeback Pros on my Valley at the cottage, and while I like the table and the way the rails play, it does not feel tighter to me than a Diamond BB. Balls that would hang on a Diamond drop because of the super shallow shelf (which I don't necessarily mind, since I hate hanging balls in the pocket and I'm not running packs).

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dilly Dilly!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I find eight ball easier on a nine vs a seven footer.

Picture two players of exactly equal speed playing the ghost....
..I'll bet on the player on the seven footer.
...the nine ball ghost is an easier decision, I'll grant you that...9-footer all day.

Personally, I found a 3x6 to go past that limit you're talking about...
I had breakfast every day for a week in Arkansas...place had a 3x6...
...I gave myself three tries every day to break and run...never did it..:mad:
....just too much congestion.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...the nine ball ghost is an easier decision, I'll grant you that...9-footer all day.

If you'll remember back 35 years or so ago, (Jeez, how old are we?) north of Virginia almost all bar tables were 3 x 6, not 31/2 x 7:wink:

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I’m having trouble understanding... are you saying you find it easier to beat the 9-ball ghost on the 9’ table?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’m having trouble understanding... are you saying you find it easier to beat the 9-ball ghost on the 9’ table?

I screwed up...it’s eaier to beat the 9-ball ghost on a seven footer.
...dang keyboards ....it’s hard to find a good one these days.....:eek:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of curiosity which rails do you have?

I put Ridgeback Pros on my Valley at the cottage, and while I like the table and the way the rails play, it does not feel tighter to me than a Diamond BB. Balls that would hang on a Diamond drop because of the super shallow shelf (which I don't necessarily mind, since I hate hanging balls in the pocket and I'm not running packs).

They are ridgeback and for some reason diamonds now feel like buckets to me. SSHHHHHH maybe its just in my brain. Lol

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

And I imagine that you'd get bored trying to.

Jeff Livingston

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
7 feet tables? That's rough. That's not pool.
You can blow balls into holes then, no need for a stick.

So, when you play pool, and the ball is 5 feet from the old on your nine footer, do you just blow, or is that just considered a "gimme" and you don't make your opponent shoot.

The clusters on the 7 foot are brutal most games, you need a little luck to get them all and still have a shot afterwards.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

I play in 2 leagues, Tues is 7 foot diamond (8 teams), and Thursday is 9 foot Gold Crown (16 teams) I will get run out by a 2-1 margin on the 9 footer. Both are very good leagues, some other folks even play in both as well. They are about 30 mins away, so easy to get to for some players.

I will get run out on by a 2-1 margin on the 9 footers versus 7 footer. My run out rate is similar. Just less clusters, and even if a ball only has one home, it's just easier to get a spot to send it home on the 9 footer.

Of course, this is playing with very good players, thus, for average to below average players, I'd bet on the bar box all day long as their weak strokes would kill them on the 9 footer, more often then on the bar box.

I prefer 9 because it feels more like pool, and not a jigsaw puzzle, trying to figure out how to push balls into position, etc.

DISCLAIMER: These results are not indicative of future matches. And your results may vary ;)

Last edited: