Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page The Greatest Myth in Billiards' History - The Bad Stroke!
Page 6 of 8 « First 456 78

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#76)
Colin Colenso
<-- My Kids
Colin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-17-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williebetmore View Post
CC, To me its semantics....I cant imagine that proper alignment (precise and reproducible) is not an integral part of every good stroke (whether using sidespin or not). Can't argue with you.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Hi Wilie,
I've seen so many guys look back at their arm and/or retrace their stroke after a miss, when I know they aligned wrong that I'm convinced stroking is like a god to them and the cause for all wrongs.

For every 1000 conversations on stroking, there is barely ever a mention of what these supposed stroke errors actually do, in terms of the effect on hitting to where one is aiming.

Cheers,
Colin

Quote:
"The first essential step in the direction of learning any subject is to find principles of numerical reckoning and practicable methods for measuring some quality connected with it. I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind." - Lord Kelvin

Old
  (#77)
Colin Colenso
<-- My Kids
Colin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond repute

02-17-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStroke View Post
There are many reasons a shot is missed, the stroke is just one of them.
I don't see as many players blaming the stroke as they do other things like.

I jumped up
I hit it just as I saw it
I dogged it
Moved my bridge hand
Had a crappy bridge
Took my eye off it
Miscued
Sharked
I'm singing
Need a tip
The waitress
Didn't commit
Talked myself out of that shot
Etc.
Or they could have very well executed a poor delivery.
Add whatever excuse you like

If an experienced player blames the stroke I think it has a lot to do with indecision. They could have played follow 2 rails or punched 1 rail across. They were undecided when they went down, not fully committed, they took the shot and were caught up in between, blaming it on a stroke error. They made a stroke error of the brain.

If an inexperienced player misses and blames the stroke well they just haven't learned all the excuses.

It's always good to miss a shot or miscue, then look at your tip. Then look around at everyone as if you justified your error, make sure you grab the chalk and chalk it up before you sit down.
Nice points. I bolded some which seem more relevant to the discussion.

In terms of actually hitting to the aim point, jumping up and taking one's eyes off the ball are classic bad stroking methods, but how do they effect the line of shot. For me, hardly at all, in terms of making the shot. In terms of positional play, they may have consequences.

Quote:
"The first essential step in the direction of learning any subject is to find principles of numerical reckoning and practicable methods for measuring some quality connected with it. I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind." - Lord Kelvin

Old
  (#78)
Colin Colenso
<-- My Kids

02-17-2015, 07:01 PM

A thought experiment to help some try to get my point:

If I hit unintended right side english, lets say it is inside. Squirt deflects the CB to the left, the cue direction pushes the CB to the right and the spin on the CB leads to spin induced throw on the OB... more or less than one expected? That depends on the speed of shot, amount of offset and the cut angle. In many cases with IE, the throw is about the same actually.

And what about the effect of swipe? How far can we swipe a CB off our aim line at firm v slow speeds?

If my bridge is longer than my pivot point and I swipe left and hit the CB a little left of center, does the CB go to the right or left of where I aimed?

Interestingly, if one bridges a little longer than one's pivot point, many of these effects cancel each other out.

Quote:

Old
  (#79)
Colin Colenso
<-- My Kids

02-17-2015, 07:22 PM

As not many responses have provided specific points regarding aspects of the stroke and how they effect aiming, I'll provide some of the DO NOTS, which certainly are stroke errors that send the OB off the aim line.

On near straight in shots, applying unintended side english throws the OB offline. On slow shots the throw effect increases, as does swerve on the CB, further messing up the shot. On firm shots, throw is less, swerve is far less (unless the CB is hit high) and depending on one's bridge position relative to the cue's pivot point, deflection could counteract or add to the error. Bridging a little longer than one's pivot point can reduce and even cancel out the effects of such stroking errors.

On cut shots, applying unintended outside english can throw the OB significantly off the intended path. Conversely, unintended inside english often has negligible effect on the OB path. So being careful to hit center or slightly inside can be a way to avoid the stroking errors that result from unintended outside english.

Swiping: When we see cue actions that swipe, it is often assumed this changes the direction of the CB significantly. I suggest people aim at a mark 7 feet away and swipe some shots, hitting near to CCB at slow and firm speeds and see what swiping actually does. Experiment with bridge lengths too and see how that effects any change in direction of the CB due to swiping.

These effects are complex and interrelated, hence they're typically thought of as a forbidden zone and the mysterious cause of many wrongs. Hence they make great excuses for missed shots. If we understood them better, and used our smarts to reduce their influence, we could relive ourselves of a great deal of pressure regarding perfect stroking and focus upon the main causes of missing shots... i.e. Bad aiming via incorrect bridge V placement.

Quote:

Last edited by Colin Colenso; 02-17-2015 at 07:58 PM.

Old
  (#80)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

02-17-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Colenso View Post
As not many responses have provided specific points regarding aspects of the stroke and how they effect aiming, I'm provide some of the DO NOTS, which certainly are stroke errors that send the OB off the aim line.

On near straight in shots, applying unintended side english throws the OB offline. On slow shots the throw effect increases, as does swerve on the CB, further messing up the shot. On firm shots, throw is less, swerve is far less (unless the CB is hit high) and depending on one's bridge position relative to the cue's pivot point, deflection could counteract or add to the error. Bridging a little longer than one's pivot point can reduce and even cancel out the effects of such stroking errors.

On cut shots, applying unintended outside english can throw the OB significantly off the intended path. Conversely, unintended inside english often has negligible effect on the OB path. So being careful to hit center or slightly inside can be a way to avoid the stroking errors that result from unintended outside english.

Swiping: When we see cue actions that swipe, it is often assumed this changes the direction of the CB significantly. I suggest people aim at a mark 7 feet away and swipe some shots, hitting near to CCB as slow and firm speeds and see what swiping actually does. Experiment with bridge lengths too and see how that effects any change in direction of the CB due to swiping.

These effects are complex and interrelated, hence they're typically thought of as a forbidden zone and the mysterious cause of many wrongs. Hence they make great excuses for missed shots. If we understood them better, and used our smarts to reduce their influence, we could relive ourselves of a great deal of pressure regarding perfect stroking and focus upon the main causes of missing shots... i.e. Bad aiming via incorrect bridge V placement.
I would classify that as adding another element to counter a bad element. Much easier to just learn to hit where you want to, then you don't need to add band-aids. Each person can decide for themselves which way is smarter.

Old
  (#81)
ENGLISH!
Banned
ENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond repute

02-17-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
As not many responses have provided specific points regarding aspects of the stroke and how they effect aiming, I'm provide some of the DO NOTS, which certainly are stroke errors that send the OB off the aim line.

Swiping: When we see cue actions that swipe, it is often assumed this changes the direction of the CB significantly. I suggest people aim at a mark 7 feet away and swipe some shots, hitting near to CCB as slow and firm speeds and see what swiping actually does. Experiment with bridge lengths too and see how that effects any change in direction of the CB due to swiping.

Hi Colin,

I'm not quite sure I agree about the inside english having negligible effect. (speed dependent, I guess)

But that put aside, I agree with you, that IMO, too many are too focused on trying to 'find' & then maintain what they picture as a 'perfect' stroke.

IMO, they become too mechanical.

In doing that, I think, IMO, they lose their biomechanical 'feel'.

Again, this is a good thread. When you 'speak', I see Earl shooting with a long bridge & needing that extra length cue.

Best 2 You & All,
Rick

Old
  (#82)
DTL
SP 219
DTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond repute

02-17-2015, 07:53 PM

Last edited by DTL; 03-14-2016 at 08:45 PM.

Old
  (#83)
Colin Colenso
<-- My Kids

02-17-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I would classify that as adding another element to counter a bad element. Much easier to just learn to hit where you want to, then you don't need to add band-aids. Each person can decide for themselves which way is smarter.
I'd call it learning.

Quote:

Old
  (#84)
Colin Colenso
<-- My Kids

02-17-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGLISH! View Post
Hi Colin,

I'm not quite sure I agree about the inside english having negligible effect. (speed dependent, I guess)

But that put aside, I agree with you, that IMO, too many are too focused on trying to 'find' & then maintain what they picture as a 'perfect' stroke.

IMO, they become too mechanical.

In doing that, I think, IMO, they lose their biomechanical 'feel'.

Again, this is a good thread. When you 'speak', I see Earl shooting with a long bridge & needing that extra length cue.

Best 2 You & All,
Rick
Cheers Rick,
I know it won't interest everyone.

Regarding IE, yes, it's speed dependent and also spin dependent, in that more IE can reduce throw as does a natural roll component or a draw component. Usually IE shots are played with natural roll, but not in all cases. The sliding type IE shots with a little IE spin can thicken a shot significantly.

I understand you often use it in a way that the cue offset cancels out the increased thickening throw.

Colin

Quote:

Old
  (#85)
Colin Colenso
<-- My Kids

02-17-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL View Post
Here's what Neil was talking about........very hard to do. Start watching at 5:50ish.....finally does after a few attempts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2QO6J84GOc
Nice one! Tough drill.

Quote:

Old
  (#86)
ENGLISH!
Banned
ENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond repute

02-17-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I'd call it learning.
Hi Colin,

When I was the pitching coach for a middle school. There was a young 'man' (13) that wound up being drafted by the Houston Franchise & left College early.

When I was coaching him he threw high inside & low outside more often than he ever hit the mitt.

I noticed that he was staring down the mitt. I told him to turn his head & look at 3rd. base during his windup. He asked, 'If I do that, how will I know where to throw the ball.' I answered him back, 'You know where to throw it now, but you're not hitting your target more than 1/2 the time, so just give it a try & trust me you'll find where to throw it.' He did & threw a perfect strike that was caught with no movement of the mitt with a big loud POP. His jaw dropped & he then looked at me with a gleam in his eye & big smile game over his face.

Sometimes things can just seem counter intuitive.

Best 2 You & All,
Rick

Last edited by ENGLISH!; 02-17-2015 at 08:26 PM.

Old
  (#87)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

02-17-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL View Post
Here's what Neil was talking about........very hard to do. Start watching at 5:50ish.....finally does after a few attempts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2QO6J84GOc
Yes, that's it, but I do it from half table with the ob.

Now, a disclaimer on trying that....you can drive yourself nuts trying to duplicate it even though there is nothing wrong with your aim or your stroke. Both the cb and the ob HAVE to be perpendicular to the end rail. If they are even off a little bit, a perfect hit will not return them straight back, but on an angle.

I used a T-Square off the end rail to find the correct spots to mark for the ob and cb.

Old
  (#88)
Colin Colenso
<-- My Kids

02-17-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGLISH! View Post
Hi Colin,

When I was the pitching coach for a middle school. There was a young 'man' (13) that wound up being drafted by the Houston Franchise & left College early.

When I was coaching him he threw high inside & low outside more often than he ever hit the mitt.

I noticed that he was staring down the mitt. I told him to turn his head & look at 3rd. base during his windup. He asked, 'If I do that, how will I know where to throw the ball.' I answered him back, 'You know where to throw it now, but you're not hitting your target more than 1/2 the time, so just give it a try & trust me you'll find where to throw it.' He did & threw a perfect strike that was caught with no movement of the mitt with a big loud POP. His jaw dropped & he then looked at me with a gleam in his eye & big smile game over his face.

Sometimes things can just seem counter intuitive.

Best 2 You & All,
Rick
Good point.

It's intuitive that if we stroke crooked, then the CB will follow the stroke direction, but it is not always the case, it may go in the opposite direction and it may go straight.

An experiment to display this: Align to CCB with a 4 inch bridge, swipe to hit 1 tip to the right. Check the CB path compared to the initial alignment. The CB goes to the right of the initial aim.

Do the same with a 20 inch bridge. The CB will go to the left of the initial alignment.

Somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot, where bad stroking cancels itself out, in terms of CB direction of hit.

Quote:

Old
  (#89)
sheffield6
AzB Silver Member
sheffield6 has a reputation beyond reputesheffield6 has a reputation beyond reputesheffield6 has a reputation beyond reputesheffield6 has a reputation beyond reputesheffield6 has a reputation beyond reputesheffield6 has a reputation beyond reputesheffield6 has a reputation beyond reputesheffield6 has a reputation beyond reputesheffield6 has a reputation beyond reputesheffield6 has a reputation beyond reputesheffield6 has a reputation beyond repute

02-17-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfleinen View Post
What is "center english"?
its a touch of lefty rightish, with a smidgen of toppy bottom, suprised you didnt know.

Old
  (#90)
jburkm002
AzB Silver Member
jburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-17-2015, 11:51 PM

I have a questionable stroke. I have questionable aim. I agree my alignment feels natural but is not properly applied on every shot. No idea where my pivot point is. I use the same pivot point on a maple shaft as I do on an LD shaft. I got so frustrated with trying new things. Game suffers before it get better. No time for practice. League is not the best time to try out new things. Play in weekend tourneys with friends. That"s the only time I don"t care about winning. Try anything then but its trying and not making it a strength. Guess it's true what they say. Shit or get off the pot. You don't get better by wanting to but only by doing that which will make you better.

Page 6 of 8 « First 456 78

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: