Stop Shot Puzzle (9)

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, folks. Way back in 2008-2009 I posted puzzles on this forum for people to solve. The stop shot puzzles barely got started but were fun. The goal is to figure out a sequence that allows you to run all 15 balls with all stop shots---absolutely zero post-collision cue ball movement. There is at least one way that works. No worries about break balls. Just sink all balls. You have cue ball in hand anywhere on the table to start. I'll leave a buffer post below this one, so you're not tempted to see other people's answers. In a few days, if someone comes up with my solution, I'll direct people to that post. And if no one does, I'll post my solution.

When setting this up, I was careful about the stop shots finishing with the cue ball replacing the ghost ball for each shot, so it's as accurate as I could make it with the visuals of the chalky sticks website table.

Good luck!

Stop Shot (9).jpg

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this works:

15-8-4-9-7-14-1-6-11-2-3-12-5-13-10

Whad I win? :)

The 4-9 is arguable at a little angle, but actually a little cb drift makes the shot on the 7 straighter.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get:

edit:
Hey...just noticed it's the same as Bob's from 12 on. I must finally be learning something.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I get:

edit:
Hey...just noticed it's the same as Bob's from 12 on. I must finally be learning something.
Pretty close, but 6 does not give a stop shot to the 14.

I cheated by drawing lines from the centers of likely pockets through the centers of each ball and noting which ball(s) the lines extend to. The line from the upper left pocket through the 14 does not go to the 6.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A stop shot on the 6 from the 4 does not get straight in on the 14.

I think this works:

7 14 1 15 8 4 6 9 12 5 13 3 11 2 10

Everyone's solutions would work on the real table, and it looks like everyone got portions of my solution, but this is my solution exactly. Nice job, Bob!

On a computer screen it's a little difficult to see the exact place where the cue ball stops, so don't get too frustrated. It's hard!

Thanks for playing, everyone!