Aiming and The Subconscious

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Although I try to consciously make use of "objective measurements" when aiming, I'm (sometimes painfully) aware that most of the heavy lifting in aiming is done by our subconscious supercomputers, and the best strategy is to keep our conscious "busybody" minds out of the way. Here's an article about the constant interaction of our conscious and subconscious minds that I think supports this notion:

From Scientific American, 12/19/18...

"Unconscious processes greatly control our consciousness. Where you direct your attention, what you remember and the ideas you have, what you filter out from the flood of stimuli that bombard you, how you interpret them and what goals you pursue—all these result from automatic processes. ... The autopilot in our brain—not consciousness—makes us what we are.

The real mastermind that solves problems and ensures our survival, then, is the unconscious.
This next part, I think, is particularly relevant to those who want to believe an aiming system can be "entirely objective":

"It is understandable that people tend to distrust the unconscious, given that it seems uncontrollable. How are we supposed to be in control of something when we do not even know when and how it influences us?"

pj
chgo

stockbob55

Registered
Re:

"In the final analysis, Solms and Friston assert, predictive errors equal surprise equals consciousness; when things do not work as expected, we get consciousness—a state the brain tries to limit."

Interesting with regard to sport and pool in particular.