Satinwood?

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone ever made a satinwood shaft?
In a full splice butt, is it likely to hit harder or softer than maple in the same combination? Seems like it's a little harder/denser than maple if not the same, but maybe a little coarser grain. I don't want to use it if it's likely to yield a soggy hit.

smt

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Anyone ever made a satinwood shaft?

In a full splice butt, is it likely to hit harder or softer than maple in the same combination? Seems like it's a little harder/denser than maple if not the same, but maybe a little coarser grain. I don't want to use it if it's likely to yield a soggy hit.

smt

Which satinwood? Latin name please sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a beauty! Love the ring work.
Do you think it hits comparable to maple, or harder? (compared to same assembly, same matching woods, understanding everything is always different anyway)

Pretty sure it's Ceylon (eastern). Database notes that "western/caribean is not commercially harvested anymore" or WTTE. I'll have to spend some time with an end slice and microscope. The plank was bought for cabinetwork, only recently thought "hey, that might make an interesting cue forearm or even shaft".

What's really true at the moment is i have so much (non- cue related) woodwork in the shop that my mind strays to anything but what I'm supposed to be working on seems more interesting, lol. :eek: But thinking vaguely ahead, all these exotics keep me going "well, if i cut this board this way for the project, it could leave a butt blank over here in the scrap" etc, etc. Even non-exotics (Ipe, cabreuva, khaya, etc) when you run into a piece with waterfall or beeswing figure trips the same juices. Sigh.

smt

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
That's a beauty! Love the ring work.
Do you think it hits comparable to maple, or harder? (compared to same assembly, same matching woods, understanding everything is always different anyway)

Pretty sure it's Ceylon (eastern). Database notes that "western/caribean is not commercially harvested anymore" or WTTE. I'll have to spend some time with an end slice and microscope. The plank was bought for cabinetwork, only recently thought "hey, that might make an interesting cue forearm or even shaft".

What's really true at the moment is i have so much (non- cue related) woodwork in the shop that my mind strays to anything but what I'm supposed to be working on seems more interesting, lol. :eek: But thinking vaguely ahead, all these exotics keep me going "well, if i cut this board this way for the project, it could leave a butt blank over here in the scrap" etc, etc. Even non-exotics (Ipe, cabreuva, khaya, etc) when you run into a piece with waterfall or beeswing figure trips the same juices. Sigh.

smt

I cored it.
The only non-cored satinwood cue I tested was a Hagan. He cross-laminated it though.
It hit alright.
I wouldn't use one as a shaft.
It's a weak solution to a problem that does not exist.
Good maple is fine.