What about defense?

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Seems that since 14.1 for me is basically, a "play alone" situation, that all i am concerned with when i play, is running balls till i miss and then starting again.

So with that in mind, that attitude alone isn't going to cut it in a real game scenario if i shoot myself into a "can't continue shooting" situation.

So i'm wondering if there are any good videos someone might recommend where i might observe some really REALLY brutally good safety play.
Or maybe we can use this thread to discuss defensive % play situations only.

Such as when to take a scratch.
Safeties and working behind the stack and what true 14.1 players are trying to accomplish in theory (hook, leave frozen to the rail, etc etc)
When to break up balls spotted, or when not to break up balls spotted.
And of course, intentional fouls when frozen to the rack.

No offense here, just defense, cause honestly, i don't ever really think i have studied this aspect of 14.1.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
i can t think of anything in particular, but i could recomend watching matches. that way you will see alot of different scenarios.

if you find something particalar, put up a post about it here in the 14.1 and if you can supply a link to it from Accu-Stats. so we can all give pat flemming our support !

Steve

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
This was posted a while ago, but I see they are still for sale. 5 DVD set of the 2006 World Championships. Obviously it is not an instructional video but of course there is plenty of safety play and about half the matches have commentary so you get some insight. Great price too.

Plus, you get to see some really good runs (although as you stated, you don't care about this -:D)

AZB Marketplace

strtshtr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
accustats

to me, the best advice on defense comes from the commentary offered by the accustats crew, particularly danny diliberto and grady matthews.

the old school guys will frequently explain the rationale behind intentional scratches, and discuss the pros and cons of the safety options available during the matches. it's not unusual for them to see safes that the players overlook.

for my money, some of the most entertaining exchanges are the arguments between diliberto and incardona regarding what sort of safe the player should be playing in a given situation.

incidentally, accustats was running their "any 10 for $10" promotion recently. if it's still running, 10 dvd's of 14.1 is $100 well spent.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
sharks in your bath

Strategy is one of the most important things for me in straight-pool (ofc not if sitting in your chair watching a run of 400 balls :rolleyes:).

I always try to *burn in* to guys/students to pay extreme attention on safety-shots. You have to set your opponent under pressure.

Also sometimes it depends just on how it goes in your current game- sometimes you just let your opponent an extremly tough shot at the table if you know that he s already acting nervously before. (you ll get the feeling for it by playing hundreds of games/tournaments^^)

Safety is also just about chances and calculating- but you can force your opponent also what to do next.

No matter what you do-pocketing just the next ball or a safety- it s always the most important thing to do.....never make the mistake to not pay attention on a safety-or you get lost.

Like my all-time-fav said: your opponent have to feel like there re appearing sharks in his bath :) (cheers George^^)

lg
Ingo

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Capelle's book "Play your best straight pool" has a whole chapter on safety play. It's awesome. Otherwise... yeah, match DVDs with good commentary. I seem to remember a handful of basic ones in the 99 critical shots also.

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last half hour of the 1989 14.1 US Open Mizerak v Ortmann has some great safety play.

Andy