Player rating for 14.1

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Hey guys,

something I have been trying to figure out for a while and can't get a definative answer.

I know there is a formula for 8ball,9ball, and 10ball.

How do you rate a players rank in 14.1. Is it based on high run, average or B.P.I ?

Thanks in advance
steve

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
If you can get stats for entire games, and plenty of them, then I think balls-per-inning makes the most sense. It accounts for how effectively you can turn fruitless moving contests into some actual runs, as well as how many you run once you're on a roll.

I guess 'average' means how many you run once you're actually trying to make a ball and ignores innings where you make nothing. I think this (and high run) focus too much on the ballrunning aspect of 14.1, and don't take into account the player's ability to duck and get out of traps.

I'll admit though, when I want to gauge a player's skill... the first thing I ask is "what's his high run?" ...mostly cuz that's all anyone, including the player himself, keeps track of.

OneArmed

the agony of billiards...
Silver Member
hey steve, I'm not sure if you are looking at just monitoring your own growth, or ranking as in A, B, C in organized competition. there are different ways to rank and/or assign handicaps. in MNSPA leagues I use 4 different systems :eek:

normally I don't use high runs at all in calculations. I know bob jewet wrote an interesting handicapping system. 14and1.com and one of my systems uses a W/L by how many points you win.

I think for tracking progress, high runs could be a negative. Maybe an average high run would give you a better idea, but there is a difference between having huge high runs and playing smart against a well versed opponent, especially at lower levels. Your BPI could be very low if you had a lot of safety wars, but tactically it was correct. I suppose a mix would be ideal of BPI, high run average, and win/loss.

i agree with creedo, usually the question is what's your high run, and i ask myself that when trying to place new players in a division for leagues/tourneys. You can see if someone is a novice or just starting out, or able to string multiple racks together

Matt

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
When we still had the 14.1 leagues they made the ranking just depending on the average- The last rankin i remember there were 5 players placed higher than me- but i won all games against them. Who cares about the average if you loose...
But in my opinion for me just the winning is important :) I knew if i played well or bad anyway- average and high-run is just for a good feeling....a win is more better^^