My Visit With 14-1Straightman (Mike Grosso)

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
Well, right along the lines of Marcus Norwood's thread (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=279551) I got to have a visit with Mike this past week.

I have a customer in Dallas that I had to visit this week, so I reached out to Mike about my visit to see if he might have any time to get together. Not only did he have time, but he offered to pick me up at my hotel, go play some pool and drop me off again!

Mike picked me up and we had a chance to go and have lunch at a great Italian place that he knows (and knows well), and we had a great chance to get to know each other, and talk about all things pool, especially 14.1 related. After a great lunch, we headed off to Mike's place.

My gracious host:
7957598738_07ed8ee3ea.jpg

If you guys have not had a chance to see Mike's album check it out (http://forums.azbilliards.com/album.php?albumid=776) he has a PERFECT place for shooting pool, and we got to play on the table that this man played on as a boy (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=140832). The whole room is set up with pool and sports memorabilia from his father-in-law, Davey Williams who played for the NY Giants.

Anyhow, to the pool games. We played three 14.1 games to 50 and then a race to 5 in 8-Ball. Needless to say, I got my butt kicked! BUT, it was a great time, and I loved watching how effortless the game is for Mike. He truly knows his patterns, and just did a fantastic job working through the racks.

The very FIRST game went like this

Mike safe breaks
Brian hits 2, plays safe
Mike hits 12, then safes the break ball.
Brian safes, and Mike runs FIFTY-SIX!

I didn't even make a serious mistake, he just didn't miss!

This is what it looks like playing Mike, you get a lot of time to sit and watch! LOL!

7957597294_f2791ee48c_z.jpg

Anyhow, following games I didn't get whipped quite so bad, and I had some very clean patterns. I felt comfortable playing at Mike's place, as if we had been friends for years.

7957596014_3056027b5e_c.jpg

Second game Mike was up 46-21, and then Mike ended with a 34 ball run!

Third game I was up 24-10, and then Mike ended up winning 50-33.

This man is a CLEAN player, and a heck of a nice guy. He just ran 81 in a league match last week, and is a hundred ball runner.

We ended with a race to 5 in 8-Ball which he handily crushed me 5-2.

I tell you what, if I had a chance to play with people like Mike more often, it would make a heck of a difference in the way that I play.

SO... Mike, I humbly thank you for your time and patience and hospitality. I hope to be in Dallas often, and if that works out, I would love to rack for you as often as you'd let me!

Here are some shots of a couple of nice pieces Mike has had made.

7957599270_e5e0c4af0c.jpg

7957599870_a4b65974b9.jpg

Thanks again Mike! I look forward to you making some more videos!!

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
WOW,

that was seriously one of the best write-ups that i have ever read on AZ.

I am so jealous of you brian that you got to spend the afternoon with Mike, hopefully one day i will be able to do the same.

I the first picture i Love that Mike is wearing his Rammstein shirt, mike is a huge fan of theirs. (Du Hast...LOL)

you got some great pictures of Mike's gameroom, and i love the Sign outside the door. kinda makes you feel at home for the beating you are about to receive, as you well know :)

I know you guys were speaking of me at some point through the afternoon, my ears were ringing very sharply.

I say next year we all have a Family Picnic at mike's house !

-Steve

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
Great post!!! Can't wait to hit more balls with Mike. If ever you are in Houston hit me with a PM. My room is not as nice as Mike's but I will definitely show you some good Texas hospitality.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Good Times

WOW. Thanks Brian so much for the wonderful write up. I have always enjoyed meeting good & interesting people. I will make a copy of your write up. It belongs in my scarpbook, so that my kids & grand kids can see. Thanks again.

Stevie, we will get together for sure some day. Your comments are funny. Even the wife was laughing.

Marcus, thanks for making a comment too. Yes, no one can go wrong with visiting Marcus b/c I know that the hospitalty will always be there.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Very nice write up by Brian. Looks like he was able to take advantage of the fact that he travels so much. Brian is a true student of the game and I can't wait to talk to him about his adventures with Mike.

Brian has spent some time with Ed Latimer and Jeff Mohl here in the Chicagoland area. By adding Mike Grosso to the mix, I think Brian will soon see a jump in his game.

Brian, handicapped tournament at Red Shoes September 29. Non-handicapped $500 added October 27. Hope to see you if your schedule permits.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
thanks for great write-up!
California? Makes me sad to realize that even when I finally make it and visit the US for Derby City Classic I woudn't be able to travel that far and pay Mike a visit ;)

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Texas

thanks for great write-up!
California? Makes me sad to realize that even when I finally make it and visit the US for Derby City Classic I woudn't be able to travel that far and pay Mike a visit ;)

Big D. is in Texas......LOL
Derby City is a lot closer to Dallas then it is to CA.