how are ya'll doing in league ?

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have to chime in with what I managed to do last week in 8 ball.

I'm a 6 playing a 4, was up 3-0 just cruzin' along. Game 4, I break and run the table just to choke on a pretty straight in simply 8. My opponent ended up winning the next three games to take the match. In all three games I was missing easy simply shots always thinking about the missed runout.

For the life of me, I couldn't shake that 8 ball miss and it couldn't get it out of my head!

I was once given advice to immediately analyze my errors so that my brain did not give my ego a chance to complain. It has helped me move on from misses and start more anew my next turn at the table.

desmocourtney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In nine ball, do you want to know the score between games, or not?

I want to know, many I talk to don't.

A few people I know keep a running total in their head, freaks!

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Won a 4-5 10-ball race 4-0. My opponent was definitely not playing to his ability but I got that shut-out I've been wanting. I'm 1 point behind first place and we play each other next week.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

I like to know when I'm down to one or two points left. I have an idea how its going anyway. If I hear the score, it doesn't throw me off, tho I'd just as soon not know till near the end.

Some of my teammates wanna know at the end of each rack.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I'm still a SL6 :thumbup:

Don't know how, but I guess I'm borderline. I did bump from a SL5 to SL6 in the first match of this session, which was only 5 matches ago, so 16 of my last 20 matches are as a SL5.

Kaiser Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been a SL4 in 8 ball the past 2 sessions and just moved up to a 4 in 9 this session. I haven't been able to buy a win in 8, but since I haven't played any solid runout players in 9 I've been winning most of those matches by getting 2-5 points per inning. This week I get moved down to an SL3 in 8 and I win 2-0 with a 1 inning second game, go figure. I think it's a psychological thing knowing I only need 1 win to lock down a point is a safety blanket or something. On the flip side it was super frustrating as a SL4 playing SL3s and clearing the table to do something stupid like scratch on the 8 having to play uphill the rest of the match.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My APA team is going to have to do some restructuring next session. We started the session with skill levels 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3. Now both of our SL 4s have advanced to SL 5s. If our SL 3 advances, we will be completely screwed. BTW, my team is in first in our division (we are 13 points ahead of 2nd place and 24 points ahead of 3rd).

Although I won't be happy that we will have to break the team up, I'm more than happy to see my teammates grow as players.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of these days I might figure out what all these ratings and points you guys talk about are and how all that works. Maybe. Some of ya'll have a lot to keep up with...lordy!

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
My APA team is going to have to do some restructuring next session. We started the session with skill levels 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3. Now both of our SL 4s have advanced to SL 5s. If our SL 3 advances, we will be completely screwed. BTW, my team is in first in our division (we are 13 points ahead of 2nd place and 24 points ahead of 3rd).

Although I won't be happy that we will have to break the team up, I'm more than happy to see my teammates grow as players.

Are you guys a double jeopardy team?

Kaiser Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When we play the scorekeeper calls it out after every rack. They also remind our players when they are close.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
No, we are just an 8 ball team.

Think about switching to a double jeopardy format if you have it available in your area. Our team had become very top heavy, like you guys. We have been together, our core, for more than 20 years, and the rest of us for at least the 7 or 8, we had no intention of splitting up our team. So in the Double Jeopardy format there is no rule that says both rosters, for 8 and 9 ball have to be the same. So he had a team meeting and what we did was add a couple of lower rated players to our family. Some of us would rather play 8 and some would rather play 9, so we moved a couple of players off one team and now they just play their chosen medium and the lower rated players have given us the flexibility to stay together and continue as a team and a family. Of course the object is for both teams to play in Las Vegas in the NTC, but the agreement between all of us that if one team qualifies for the NTC we will still all share the winnings and everyone will be able to make the trip. It took some looking to find players that "fit", and in the next session we will think about switching up the line up and we will do that after every session, but ot allows everything to move forward and everyone is still having a good time, the family is just a little bigger.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Monday night NAPA Lagger's Choice. I lose the lag and my opponent chooses 9 ball. It is a 6-5 race and I could never get comfortable he beats me 6-3.

Last night was NAPA 8 ball and 9 ball. I played 8 ball first and it was a 7-5 race. I win 7-1 with an 8 on the break. I thought I was going to get the shut out but he made a strong out when I was up 6-0. I think I will be a grandmaster soon in 8 ball. I was a 106 before this match with a 6-1 record.

Played the same guy in 9 ball. It was a 6-6 race. I was up 5-3 and dogged the next 3 games. Not sure why I have been slumping so bad in 9 ball. I am going to blame the alcohol.......

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Just a quick update from me.

I haven't played APA since last Summer session almost a year ago. Summer session is pretty brutal especially for being a captain on a team with tight handicap tolerances since everyone seems to always be doing other things on Summer evenings rather than going to league. This will be the first Summer in a couple years that I am taking off from any and all leagues. I hope to do some things around the house, and more importantly get in hardcore practice on the pool table. When I go back to playing VNEA in the Fall I want my game to raise a couple of notches.

Recently to wrap up the Fall/Winter VNEA season we had our state tournament here in Indianapolis. It was a pretty big deal with 135 teams in our division. I went in pretty nervous because 1. I didn't feel like I was playing well and 2. I generally get nervous when playing in competition. However, once the first couple of balls were struck I fell in stroke and so did my team. We all played pretty well against some stiff competition and ended up getting 5th out of 135 teams and quadrupled our entry fee. I consider that a success, and I'm glad to have some extra spending cash for my upcoming vacation.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i do not mind losing to a better player...yea i do :grin-square:

but i just hate beating myself.:mad:

i lost 5-2 in a 5-3 race and handed him 2 wins by scratching on my last ball both times. i can not tell you the last time i scratched ..let alone twice in the same night. guess i was just trying too hard. :confused:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a quick update from me.

I haven't played APA since last Summer session almost a year ago. Summer session is pretty brutal especially for being a captain on a team with tight handicap tolerances since everyone seems to always be doing other things on Summer evenings rather than going to league. This will be the first Summer in a couple years that I am taking off from any and all leagues. I hope to do some things around the house, and more importantly get in hardcore practice on the pool table. When I go back to playing VNEA in the Fall I want my game to raise a couple of notches.

Recently to wrap up the Fall/Winter VNEA season we had our state tournament here in Indianapolis. It was a pretty big deal with 135 teams in our division. I went in pretty nervous because 1. I didn't feel like I was playing well and 2. I generally get nervous when playing in competition. However, once the first couple of balls were struck I fell in stroke and so did my team. We all played pretty well against some stiff competition and ended up getting 5th out of 135 teams and quadrupled our entry fee. I consider that a success, and I'm glad to have some extra spending cash for my upcoming vacation.

That is a great accomplishment. Congrats to you and your team.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of these days I might figure out what all these ratings and points you guys talk about are and how all that works. Maybe. Some of ya'll have a lot to keep up with...lordy!

well i have to admit that score keeping in apa is more involved than other leagues. i honestly believe all the info we put down is an effort to prevent sand bagging. its like any thing else...once you get used to it it becomes no big deal.

apa 8 ball is pretty simple.

if you win by shut out you get 3 points. your opponent gets 0
if you win but your opponent wins at least 1 rack you get 2 points . your opponent gets 0
if you win and your opponent gets on the hill you get 2 points and your opponent gets 1.

apa 9 ball is a points based game like bcapl 8 ball. the difference is the scoring. in apa your score is based on a sliding chart provided on the score sheet.

who ever reaches the points required based on their s/l 1st wins the match. the score is based on how many points you held your opponent to.

lets just use a s/l 5 since that is what i am. if my opponent is a 5 also he has to reach 38 points before i do to win the match.

if my opponent holds me to less than 7 points he wins 20-0
if i get 7-10 points he wins 19-1
11-14 points he wins 18-2
it goes on down to 12-8.
and like any other league ...the team with the highest score after all matches are played wins.

i hope that clarifies what we are talking about when we state score concerning apa.

napa is pretty easy to keep score compared to apa and their on line scoring system automatically totals up the scores for you.

some examples of napa scoring.
20-0 for a shutout
14 if you win but your opponent wins at least 1 rack.
3 points if you lose but you won at least 1 rack.
1 extra point each for b&r...8 on the break...9 on the snap...rackless

Banks

Banned
Apa ratings go from 2 to 7 in 8b and 1 to 9 in 9b. As Lo mentioned the ball scoring.. think of it sorta like straight pool 9b.