We need a starting point

When does the run start in practice?

• Total voters

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
I don't know who taught you guys how to play straight pool. I talked to Jimmy Mataya personally and he said that all runs begin with the 5-ball. Any balls pocketed prior shouldn't even count and any balls pocketed inbetween 5-balls should be counted as half a ball.

JR,
Sounds good to me, at least we finally have a method upon which we can all agree.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
supergreenman said:
Start counting as soon as you make the 1st ball whether there's 14 balls on the table or 3.

Green-one,
I like this idea; and I'll tell you why.

When I first started playing pool 5 years ago; I always thought that breaking apart the pack properly would be the hardest part of learning straight pool. After a couple of years of intensive practice and play I was able to get most packs apart; but found that I was consistently failing on those last 3 to 7 balls - even when they were sitting in ideal position.

A couple of great instructors told me I could solve this by spreading 5 to 8 balls in the foot area of the table (with at least one in good break shot position), and then running up to the break shot (assuming I put in the work to develop and excellent, repeatable stroke first). They told me if I did that 20 or 30 thousand times I could improve.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
JR,
Sounds good to me, at least we finally have a method upon which we can all agree.

Well, I'm glad this debate is now settled. So, the 5-ball it is then! Oh, and as Steve pointed out, if you mess-up, just grab the cue-ball BEFORE your opponent can get to the table and all remains intact!

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Green-one,
I like this idea; and I'll tell you why.

When I first started playing pool 5 years ago; I always thought that breaking apart the pack properly would be the hardest part of learning straight pool. After a couple of years of intensive practice and play I was able to get most packs apart; but found that I was consistently failing on those last 3 to 7 balls - even when they were sitting in ideal position.

A couple of great instructors told me I could solve this by spreading 5 to 8 balls in the foot area of the table (with at least one in good break shot position), and then running up to the break shot (assuming I put in the work to develop and excellent, repeatable stroke first). They told me if I did that 20 or 30 thousand times I could improve.

Yeah, seriously... Even though there are technically easier points to start a high-run, all that makes no difference whatsoever once you're past the first full rack. If you run 200 balls, nobody is going to say, "Well, of course he ran 200! Did you see that dead-ball he had to start the run?"

I mean, one could actually argue that if your run is littered with difficult shots, you did it wrong so what difference does it make if you start-off with something easy?

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Yeah, seriously... Even though there are technically easier points to start a high-run, all that makes no difference whatsoever once you're past the first full rack. If you run 200 balls, nobody is going to say, "Well, of course he ran 200! Did you see that dead-ball he had to start the run?"

I mean, one could actually argue that if your run is littered with difficult shots, you did it wrong so what difference does it make if you start-off with something easy?

JR,
You are correct. I used to think only competition runs should count; but now that I think about it; most of my "high" runs would start with an opponent missing a shot and leaving me a wide open table - a layout I really didn't earn.

To be serious (just for a moment); I don't think the method of starting matters at all.

Donovan

A little security, goes..
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
JR,
You are correct. I used to think only competition runs should count; but now that I think about it; most of my "high" runs would start with an opponent missing a shot and leaving me a wide open table - a layout I really didn't earn.

To be serious (just for a moment); I don't think the method of starting matters at all.

I feel, In a match, you should count when you start shooting...obviously. However, for me in practice, it comes from a break shot, because if I can not construct and maneuver a rack to get to the next one, I just don't feel the accomplishment. JMO

Keep in mind, I don't have a very high run average. So take that with that in mind.