Finally! The elusive "100" on a diamond.

berniep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Guys,

I played a little yesterday on a diamond at Kolby's in Tempe, Az and managed to run 116. (Previous diamond high of 84).

I play 14.1 on this table for a couple of hours every 2 weeks, but there is not too much interest from the locals with this game. (I would certainly love to play more 14.1 but spend approx 95% of my table time playing 1 pocket).

Unfortunately no video. The run was clean with just one ball into the middle at about 80 something degrees and having to let the cue fly.

I got pretty fortunate that I had another shot which leads me to a question for the players here who frequently run "100"s......how often in runs that result in at least a 100 balls do you encounter a point where you have to "get lucky" to continue shooting?

I could be wrong, but most high runs that I see, invariably have that fortuitous "bump" that could just have easily ended the run. I'm not saying it's good or bad luck but sometimes a few millimeters off with whitey is the deciding factor.

I do believe however, that to consistently post 150 plus ball runs, the need to eliminate these potential "run- stoppers" is crucial, i.e. minimize these "hoping for the right outcome" situations.

Thorsten Hohmann comes to mind as perhaps the individual that best exemplifies this attribute of leaving almost nothing to chance.

Comments?

Thanks. Bernie Pettipiece.

Last edited:

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
Great run on any table Bernie, but its very special on a Diamond. Great shooting my friend.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Awesome shooting !!!!

Too bad no video, Love to see those triple digit runs. On a diamond that's like a quadrouple digit run !!!!

Keep it up !
Steve

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
nothing to add, 100 on Diamond is smth special I heard. Congratulations on that milestone! Set another goal :)

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great job. I hope the 14.1 takes off some out there I am seeing it played more and more. About the rare chancey shot I do not run enough balls to comment myself as a player, but the good runs I have seen usually there has been a shot or two that have to work out versus a perfect 100 with control on all shots this seems much more rare.

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Cognrats Bernie! That is a very special achievement. Was it a tough shot that you missed? Was the table open?

I think you'd have to clarify what you mean by getting lucky for a run to continue. There's always some degree of luck on break shots, and very often, a few millimeters can result in having a shot or not having a shot. I think a classic example is here (2 pages):

CueTable Help

Things could definitely have gone wrong here to leave you safe, but you get a shot here so often that I wouldn't call it good luck when you do.

Do you mean situations like this, or more on secondary breakshots where theoretically the player should always be in 100% control?

- Steve

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Great run, Bernie!

I don't think Thorsten is an errorless guy. In fact, he explodes through clusters with a lot of power. His break shots are normally at full break speed. Guys like Sigel and Hopkins would be closer to errorless when playing well. Thorsten runs balls because he almost never misses and hits the muck hard with tons of spin.

Anyone else care to comment? Am I crazy?
Dave

deebee53

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice run!

I hope some day I can post a thread like this one. Back to practicing I guess.

BigCat

The Panda Diaries
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Guys,

I played a little yesterday on a diamond at Kolby's in Tempe, Az and managed to run 116. (Previous diamond high of 84).

I play 14.1 on this table for a couple of hours every 2 weeks, but there is not too much interest from the locals with this game. (I would certainly love to play more 14.1 but spend approx 95% of my table time playing 1 pocket).

Unfortunately no video. The run was clean with just one ball into the middle at about 80 something degrees and having to let the cue fly.

I got pretty fortunate that I had another shot which leads me to a question for the players here who frequently run "100"s......how often in runs that result in at least a 100 balls do you encounter a point where you have to "get lucky" to continue shooting?

I could be wrong, but most high runs that I see, invariably have that fortuitous "bump" that could just have easily ended the run. I'm not saying it's good or bad luck but sometimes a few millimeters off with whitey is the deciding factor.

I do believe however, that to consistently post 150 plus ball runs, the need to eliminate these potential "run- stoppers" is crucial, i.e. minimize these "hoping for the right outcome" situations.

Thorsten Hohmann comes to mind as perhaps the individual that best exemplifies this attribute of leaving almost nothing to chance.

Comments?

Thanks. Bernie Pettipiece.

Awesome shooting, Bernie!

That Diamond at Kolby's is super tough for 14.1. A run of 100 on it is outstanding and you should be very proud. I struggle on my Diamond playing 14.1... so I know what an accomplishment this is.

For those of you who don't know, Bernie finished in the top 32 at the 14.1 World Championships in 2008. It's obvious he could play world class if he chose to spend more time on 14.1 rather than one pocket :).

On a side note, are you going down to Tucson for the tourney in 2 weeks?

Take care,
Ray

BigCat

The Panda Diaries
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great run, Bernie!

I don't think Thorsten is an errorless guy. In fact, he explodes through clusters with a lot of power. His break shots are normally at full break speed. Guys like Sigel and Hopkins would be closer to errorless when playing well. Thorsten runs balls because he almost never misses and hits the muck hard with tons of spin.

Anyone else care to comment? Am I crazy?
Dave

From the videos I've seen of Thorsten playing 14.1, I'd have to agree with you 100% (although he may be better at it now). He is not a 14.1 technician like Dallas West, Jim Rempe, Allen Hopkins, Mike Sigel, etc... These guys massage the rack and only move balls with very concise and precise impact.

Not taking anything away from Thorsten though. He's an absolutely outstanding 14.1 player.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat (or run a rack of balls in 14.1).

Ray

Last edited:

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
Congrats Bernie!!! We gotta get together and play some straight pool. On another note my chances in the straight pool tournament later this month are starting to dwindle. I am about 99% positive Bernie will be playing in that tournament.

Lots of safes, my only chance, and to keep praciticing.

BigRigTom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great run Bernie!
Don't know you personally but your name just went on "My Idol list" just the same!

berniep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A big thank you for all your feedback.

If I'd known how much genuine fraternal 14.1 support was on this forum.....I might stop playing that stupid 1 pocket game.......and.......be running more 100's:D.

Thanks again.

Bernie.