Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Ideas That Recruit New Players
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#16)
yurdun4
AzB Silver Member
yurdun4 has a reputation beyond reputeyurdun4 has a reputation beyond reputeyurdun4 has a reputation beyond reputeyurdun4 has a reputation beyond reputeyurdun4 has a reputation beyond reputeyurdun4 has a reputation beyond reputeyurdun4 has a reputation beyond reputeyurdun4 has a reputation beyond reputeyurdun4 has a reputation beyond reputeyurdun4 has a reputation beyond reputeyurdun4 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-09-2014, 07:12 AM

I also think a great way of getting new people in is by taking care of the people that are your regulars. Offer them play at a discounted rate every time they bring in a new player. I would hunt somebody up to come with me everytime to put ten more bucks in my barrel.

Paying for Advertising
Old
  (#17)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Paying for Advertising - 06-09-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurdun4 View Post
I also think a great way of getting new people in is by taking care of the people that are your regulars. Offer them play at a discounted rate every time they bring in a new player. I would hunt somebody up to come with me everytime to put ten more bucks in my barrel.
Yurdun,
I find that hard to argue with. It works for me in lawn care. If you send me a customer you get $5 bucks off of your job. I always arrange something with my customer for sending me someone. If it ends up being a good job I make sure they get rewarded extra special.

That's not a new idea but it sure works. It makes me wonder why more it isn't done.

I have always thought regular customers should be....Gold Card Members after a certain amount of time. Then the others hang in there until they are and they get a special rate. When they get a special rate they feel more like buying drinks and food too.

"Let your "Stick" do the talking!"

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $5.99!"

The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Change your game for a couple of Bucks! and
Comes with a lesson!

Old
  (#18)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336Robin View Post
I would be interested in hearing Ideas where Room Owners are recruiting new players and how they are doing it.

Is anyone having any success? Is anyone attempting to?
The two rooms I used to play at both offered monthly passes. For about $100 you could play on any open table until 7. For a little more, the time was extended to all open hours. If there was a waiting list, you had to go on time. Sadly they have both closed but one of them will be reopening nearby.

Another local room offers $1/hour table time on weekends. They have a full bar, so there is a chance to make some money even at that rate. They also run leagues and tournaments daily and encourage instructors to come in.

I have had some room owners as instructor candidates who wanted to be trained primarily so they could give their customers free lessons.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#19)
macguy
AzB Silver Member
macguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336Robin View Post
Macguy,
I really appreciate you taking the time to write your reply. That's a great story. You have in part at least proven something that I have thought all along. You were up against the wall and you found a way to find customers and new business. I sometimes think that the alcohol and the small crowd that it naturally draws tends to numb peoples creativeness because the bills are getting paid but it doesn't seem to draw the numbers that the business needs.

I do think that there is a way to recruit new players and new business just like you told us that you did. I just don't see many people doing it. Im like you. If I needed the business I would go find it...somehow. I cant imagine having that much money in something and not be extremely proactive in finding New Customers and be engaged in this at all times.

That's an awesome example of what is possible. Thank you.
I left something out that turned out to be pretty important over time. I designed a logo that I never had before, the business had no identity. I had shirts made for myself and my wife. I also got tee shirts but for us ours were high quality collard golf type shirts. We got like a dozen each and from then on that was all we wore unless we were going out and it would not be appropriate.

In effect we were now a full time ambassadors for our business. They had the logo and name and info on the pool room but most important on the front over the pocket was our names and the word "owner".

It never failed I could be almost anywhere standing in line or buying something and someone would ask, "You own that place", next thing we are talking and I may get a customer and very often did because I am going to give them something free right off the bat. Places we went for years never even knew what we did.

An auto parts store I went I picked up customers from the employes who I had known for years and had no idea what I did for a living. I never knew any of this stuff till I was desperate and had to learn. Once I turned everything around it all seemed so obvious.

Old
  (#20)
slide13
AzB Silver Member
slide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2014, 08:23 AM

I think it depends on whether you're trying to recruit existing pool players to your room or whether you're trying to bring in new people to play.

The first one isn't too tough to figure out, you just have to make it a place where players like to play. Good prices, well kept tables, etc. I think membership cards, punch cards, etc. are all great ideas. I don't play as much as I would like in part because of cost. I wish the place I play had a membership option where, for a certain fee I could play all the pool I want during designated hours but then get a discounted rate during the really busy times likes on Friday/Saturday nights. This would let people play when the the place isn't super busy anyway (weekend days for example, I played for 5 hours yesterday and less than half the tables were occupied). Plus, if you're in an area with multiple rooms that will keep your clients loyal.

Attracting new players is a different story. In my experience most pool rooms are not the kind of places someone would go if they don't play pool. They just aren't that nice and don't really draw people in. The place I play is an exception to that, it's at least half focused on the bar/restaurateur side of the business (probably well more than half actually) and it gets people coming in for drinks, to watch games, families come for lunch, etc. It's a cool place, it's really nice inside, and they have quality food and drink. I think this helps bring in non pool players who then go play for fun after they eat sometimes.

In trendy cities there has definitely been a movement to activities similar to pool...I know of hip bowling allies in NYC that are always busy, places with lawn bowling on the roof, bocce ball, etc. They are frequented by trendy hipster type crowds of young people who dig things a little outside the main stream. I think this is a market that the right pool hall could definitely cater too, but you have to be in the right area and have the right kind of atmosphere. It may not make for the best players type of room, but it would definitely get new people in and playing I think.

Old
  (#21)
macguy
AzB Silver Member
macguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide13 View Post
I think it depends on whether you're trying to recruit existing pool players to your room or whether you're trying to bring in new people to play.

The first one isn't too tough to figure out, you just have to make it a place where players like to play. Good prices, well kept tables, etc. I think membership cards, punch cards, etc. are all great ideas. I don't play as much as I would like in part because of cost. I wish the place I play had a membership option where, for a certain fee I could play all the pool I want during designated hours but then get a discounted rate during the really busy times likes on Friday/Saturday nights. This would let people play when the the place isn't super busy anyway (weekend days for example, I played for 5 hours yesterday and less than half the tables were occupied). Plus, if you're in an area with multiple rooms that will keep your clients loyal.

Attracting new players is a different story. In my experience most pool rooms are not the kind of places someone would go if they don't play pool. They just aren't that nice and don't really draw people in. The place I play is an exception to that, it's at least half focused on the bar/restaurateur side of the business (probably well more than half actually) and it gets people coming in for drinks, to watch games, families come for lunch, etc. It's a cool place, it's really nice inside, and they have quality food and drink. I think this helps bring in non pool players who then go play for fun after they eat sometimes.

In trendy cities there has definitely been a movement to activities similar to pool...I know of hip bowling allies in NYC that are always busy, places with lawn bowling on the roof, bocce ball, etc. They are frequented by trendy hipster type crowds of young people who dig things a little outside the main stream. I think this is a market that the right pool hall could definitely cater too, but you have to be in the right area and have the right kind of atmosphere. It may not make for the best players type of room, but it would definitely get new people in and playing I think.
As much as you would like to depend on regulars you can't. No matter what there is going to be turnover. People move away, change jobs, lose jobs or just disappear for no reason, and you have to be bringing in new customers. Bringing in new customers has to be a full time effort.

Old
  (#22)
GoldCrown
Be Creative...play 1P
GoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Bringing in new customers has to be a full time effort.
Yep. If a business does not find new business it will close.

Favorite Game...Pocket a Piece
Instructional source: "One Pocket...A Game of Controlled Aggression" by Tom Wirth. This book is a players best friend.
1P Instructor: Tom Wirth
Stroke Instructor: Scott Lee

I need more cues like a snail needs airbrakes

Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento
Old
  (#23)
Tom In Cincy
AKA SactownTom
Tom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1140

Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento - 06-09-2014, 09:06 AM

Prior to this school session, there was a 9am class for Seniors. It was an elective and had about 35+ students each session. The Students had IDs that could be used for discounts on the hourly rates.

Very successful program. I hear that Texas has expanded their student program to high schools that compete against each other at the end of the semester. IIRC, this program has expanded to entry level courses in the local colleges.

New players aren't just youngsters, Tuesdays and Thursdays are SENIOR special days. If you are over 55 years old, it is $2 and hour per table. with 4 seniors playing it is only 50 cents per person per hour. There is a senior group that comes in every Tuesday. They play from 11am until 3 and they all eat lunch together. 20+ players. One of the ladies just turned 100, they had a great birthday party for her. The special is from 10am until 6pm. Great price for two players 8 hours $16 bucks, $8 each

There are a lot of seniors that come in both days to take advantage of the discount. It is difficult to get a table in the tournament room after 11am.

Saturday is Family discount day.
Monday night is Women's special, they play free
Tuesday night is the popular 8 ball line tournament 730 to 10. 2 hours of play for all players in the tournament.
Wed is B tournament single elimination also College discounts available with student ID.
Thursday is 9 ball tournament and APA League night
Friday is RETAIL night
Saturday afternoon 8 ball tournament
Sunday 9 ball tournament and APA League night.

Happy Hour specials on food and beer during the week.

And of course, Military Discounts are available at any time you show your active ID.

"In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves." From Jennifer

Just remember all posts are, of course... In My Humble Opinion
Age= Been Playing since I was 17... 53 years ago
Cue = Pete Ohmen (Melbourne, FL) www.omencues.com
Hours of Play per week = 8+

Old
  (#24)
Sedog
AzB Silver Member
Sedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2014, 09:12 AM

My room opens up the tables from 3 to 7 every day! Brings players and they all buy drinks.

Old
  (#25)
K2Kraze
AzB Gold Member
K2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2014, 09:23 AM

Best suggestion --- put this thread in the ROOM OWNER DISCUSSION section. May get more room owners answers.

Thats Great News
Old
  (#26)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

Thats Great News - 06-09-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
The two rooms I used to play at both offered monthly passes. For about $100 you could play on any open table until 7. For a little more, the time was extended to all open hours. If there was a waiting list, you had to go on time. Sadly they have both closed but one of them will be reopening nearby.

Another local room offers $1/hour table time on weekends. They have a full bar, so there is a chance to make some money even at that rate. They also run leagues and tournaments daily and encourage instructors to come in.

I have had some room owners as instructor candidates who wanted to be trained primarily so they could give their customers free lessons.
Now that's great news because its perfect advertisement.

If I were just walking around and saw a sign that said Free Pool Lessons if I weren't already a player I would think hey, Ive seen them play on TV, lets go do it and I would probably get a friend a go find out about it.

I have to believe that if people are given a chance to have fun and some thought is done to make sure its not humdrum and people do have fun you have a great chance in landing a customer who might be interested.

Even if not, you are presenting what you are offering. Someone might want to watch the game and have some pals to do it with. A nice brew or two and some snacks and maybe good food ordered at the bar are also a nice complement.

The idea of Advertisement and Marketing doesn't necessarily mean paying for an advertisement in a magazine, internet website, etc.

I think for this business it means marketing on a more personal level and even if you have to provide some free table time or lessons and make sure people have fun isn't it still great Marketing. All you are really paying for it is your time and chances are you will get paid for it when you make a customer.

I think an owner who gives free lessons is an owner who wants business and I would bet he finds a way to do it. To me the Pool Room Owner is the heart and soul of this Industry on a Commercial Scale. If they cannot succeed, its dire for the game.

336Robin

Comes with a lesson!

I disagree
Old
  (#27)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com

I disagree - 06-09-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Kraze View Post
Best suggestion --- put this thread in the ROOM OWNER DISCUSSION section. May get more room owners answers.
K2Kraze,
I'm not sure that's such a good idea, then the rest of the people here wont see it. I'm asking players about their knowledge of what room owners are doing.

I know this may not make sense to you, but the Room Owners also see the Main Threads and this way everyone gets a shot at contributing to the discussion. Some of the problem has been that a lot of room owners don't know what to do next and maybe this will give them some ideas.

336Robin

Comes with a lesson!

Thats some great activity
Old
  (#28)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com

Thats some great activity - 06-09-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Cincy View Post
Prior to this school session, there was a 9am class for Seniors. It was an elective and had about 35+ students each session. The Students had IDs that could be used for discounts on the hourly rates.

Very successful program. I hear that Texas has expanded their student program to high schools that compete against each other at the end of the semester. IIRC, this program has expanded to entry level courses in the local colleges.

New players aren't just youngsters, Tuesdays and Thursdays are SENIOR special days. If you are over 55 years old, it is $2 and hour per table. with 4 seniors playing it is only 50 cents per person per hour. There is a senior group that comes in every Tuesday. They play from 11am until 3 and they all eat lunch together. 20+ players. One of the ladies just turned 100, they had a great birthday party for her. The special is from 10am until 6pm. Great price for two players 8 hours $16 bucks, $8 each

There are a lot of seniors that come in both days to take advantage of the discount. It is difficult to get a table in the tournament room after 11am.

Saturday is Family discount day.
Monday night is Women's special, they play free
Tuesday night is the popular 8 ball line tournament 730 to 10. 2 hours of play for all players in the tournament.
Wed is B tournament single elimination also College discounts available with student ID.
Thursday is 9 ball tournament and APA League night
Friday is RETAIL night
Saturday afternoon 8 ball tournament
Sunday 9 ball tournament and APA League night.

Happy Hour specials on food and beer during the week.

And of course, Military Discounts are available at any time you show your active ID.
That's great activity and involvement. I can tell this guy knows how to cultivate a crowd of regulars. I bet he does it and it doesn't work him to death too.

336Robin

Comes with a lesson!

Old
  (#29)
K2Kraze
AzB Gold Member
K2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2014, 03:01 PM

Robin - makes sense - I just didn't want to assume you were aware of that thread title and thought I'd toss out a suggestion that may help 😁 Good stuff!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old
  (#30)
Mr. Bond
Orbis Non Sufficit
Mr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2014, 06:26 PM

Don't know if its been suggested already, but a place I frequented many moons ago had worked out a deal to hold a college credit billiard and pool classes at their establishment. From what I was told, the classes were almost always full.

Each class would be broken down into a few teams, and each team would compete for the best record (against each other and individually) at the end of each semester. The bowling classes were done basically the same way.

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: