Reload this Page Logan Lathe Model 200 Project
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Logan Lathe Model 200 Project
Old
  (#1)
CrossBone Cue
AzB Gold Member
CrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Logan Lathe Model 200 Project - 07-06-2014, 09:29 AM

My new project
Logan Lathe Model 200, 1943 was when it was made. My Grandfather got a hold of it in the 50's. It is 24" between centers.
I got it home last night. 520 pounds of back breaking labor. It has been setting for a long time. 30 years ago I made a hickory bat on this lathe. I was the last one to use it. My Papaw past away 20 years ago and it is important for me to restore this lathe. It has been in his basement until yesterday. 6 of us dug it out and now it is in the middle of my shop.
The lathe was oiled and stored fairly well, the pan does have rust and a hole. I thought about changing the length to use as a full size lathe, but not sure if that is even possible. I don't have hardly any tooling for it so will need about everything there is. It works so not sure where to start. I have the legs off now and figured I would start by sanding it down, finding a pan (or new size pan and bed with screw). I have to get new belts, chuck. Chuck is 1 1/2 x 8
Also had questions and need your all help.
1) is it possible to change the gear section to make the hole large enough to slide in a butt, it is .81 now.
2) is it possible to change bed length to over 30" with new screw bar and bed
3) make a router attachment and use it to cut down blank forearm squares to roundWinner
4) or should I clean it up, make it work right, add a new chuck and leave it like it is now,winner

So this is what I am needing
1 1/2 x 8 self centering chuck
Steady Rest with bearing on the inside
tools for tool post(and new tool post set up)
attachment to hold a router for turning down foreamrs and handles

Papaw would probably build it to suit his needs.

Thanks for any input
Also if any one has parts or could at least tell me what I may need as far as tooling goes.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Shooter-Flipping Broom Stick right now(with Skulls)
Break-Auerbach Ebony
Shooting Time-2-3 hour a week

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...054&fref=photo

Last edited by CrossBone Cue; 07-09-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Old
  (#2)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

07-06-2014, 11:02 AM

1. No. You'd have nothing left if you bore the spindle.
2. Looks like a no too since the longer bed for that model is only 7" longer.
http://lathe.com/models.htm

That'd be good for tips, forearm, core and handle tapering.
If you have the steady rest and you can make collets to fit a 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 Id bearing, you can more stuff.

P.S.
That lid cover will eventually come down on your hand hard. I had a 957 and so did my mentor. That thing is not OSHA approved.

Old
  (#3)
CrossBone Cue
AzB Gold Member
CrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond reputeCrossBone Cue has a reputation beyond repute

07-06-2014, 12:33 PM

I read your earlier post on the lid, already have it off for now. I have a high tower lathe so I am good on the tips, shafts. Guess I will figure out a router bracket to cut down forearms. I put it back together this morning and fired it up, Still works perfect. I took off the motor and put it in the over for an hour on 100 degrees to remove any moisture.
Anyone have any tooling that would fit this one or is there a way to convert it to a more modern tooling set up? also need a chuck, I went on logan actuators website and found some stuff, but didn't know if anyone on here had anything. Belts are shot for sure.
steve

Break-Auerbach Ebony

Last edited by CrossBone Cue; 07-06-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Old
  (#4)
SwissChris
AzB Silver Member
SwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-06-2014, 01:37 PM

Nice piece of machinery great for coring and some other stuff

Chris

Will you are the man

Love the cue ......Thanks

Pp
Old
  (#5)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

Pp - 07-06-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissChris View Post
Nice piece of machinery great for coring and some other stuff

Chris
You can't core when the spindle hole is less than an 1".

I have a bxa100 tool set that would fit that.

Old
  (#6)
newguy99
http://www.palmercue.com/
newguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond repute

07-06-2014, 07:34 PM

Plaza machinery

Old
  (#7)
DaveK
pre-proscribed
DaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 526

07-07-2014, 12:16 PM

http://www.loganact.com/

Over the years Scott Logan has been a tremendous contributer to the home-shop-machinist world and they continue to support their old equipment as best they can. Check out the site.

Good luck with your "new" lathe.

<edit ... oops, didn't read the full OP ... I see you know of the Logan Actuator site ... carry on >

Dave

Can't fix stupid, you're on your own.

Last edited by DaveK; 07-07-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Old
  (#8)
CrossBone Cue
AzB Gold Member

07-07-2014, 07:40 PM

I was told I could change the tail stock and head stock to 11" to get a bigger bore hole. Not sure if it will work, waiting on Mr. Logan to call me back.

Break-Auerbach Ebony

Old
  (#9)
SwissChris
AzB Silver Member
SwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond reputeSwissChris has a reputation beyond repute

07-07-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
You can't core when the spindle hole is less than an 1".

I have a bxa100 tool set that would fit that.
Did not know that ......would it not work with a steady rest ??.????

Will you are the man

Love the cue ......Thanks

Old
  (#10)
CrossBone Cue
AzB Gold Member

07-09-2014, 04:50 PM

I talked to Scott Logan today and he said I can't change it over

Break-Auerbach Ebony

Old
  (#11)
ELBeau
AzB Silver Member
ELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond repute

07-09-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissChris View Post
Did not know that ......would it not work with a steady rest ??.????
24" between centers and the small bore hole determines that.
13" piece of wood +14" gun drill > bed length.

Custom made veneer used by some of the best cuemakers in the business for years! CueVeneer.com

Old
  (#12)
ELBeau
AzB Silver Member
ELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond repute

07-09-2014, 05:59 PM

If all you're going to do is turn stuff round, then you can do that with a minimum of additional parts.

Find a dead center that matches the inside taper of your spindle and bypass the chuck completely. That, or true up a dead center in the chuck you already have and be done with it. No need to ever take it out.

You can also make a dedicated router mount that secures directly to the carriage and bypass the toolpost.

Rick Geschrey of Esoteric cues posted some photos of his direct-mount router setup a while back, as well as photos showing a dead center mounted in the headstock spindle taper (see below).

No need for a steady rest- just mount it between centers (headstock and tailstock).

Best of luck with your project.
Attached Images

Custom made veneer used by some of the best cuemakers in the business for years! CueVeneer.com

Old
  (#13)
CrossBone Cue
AzB Gold Member

07-23-2014, 07:25 PM

I soaked all the bolts for a couple of weeks, got it all broke down, Had one gear that was missing a tooth, no big deal because I am from the south. Also had one of the smooth drive gears that has a chunk missing on the side wall, going to order both gears. Got the base stripped and repainted, put it back together tonight. Went with a two tone, hammer black and hammer silver. Figure if I am going to be doing fancy cues I might as well have a sharp lathe.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Break-Auerbach Ebony

Old
  (#14)
conetip
AzB Silver Member
conetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

07-24-2014, 03:23 AM

That is looking a lot better now.
I like the style of quite a lot of earlier machine tools.
Neil

Neil Lickfold.
Cuttlefish Cues.
cuttlefishcues@gmail.com
Sorry, not taking any cue orders until further notice.

love the old lathe
Old
  (#15)
desi2960
AzB Silver Member
desi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond repute

love the old lathe - 07-24-2014, 07:10 AM

best of luck with it, and dont be showing any more photos of a CLEAN FLOOR, you are making the rest of us look bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: