Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Color of money question
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-20-2017, 09:39 AM

Walter Tevis wouldn't even know, because the movie has an entirely different plot than the book. It's two different stories. Tevis wrote Color of Money as a sequel to the Hustler. It's about Eddie hooking up with Fats to do some ESPN matches. They become very good friends. Unlike the movie, there is no hot shot, upcoming star. I liked the movie, but the book is a much better story.

Last edited by BC21; 03-20-2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old
  (#32)
Tom In Cincy
AKA SactownTom
Tom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1140

Thumbs up 03-20-2017, 09:47 AM

Great response JMD,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD in VA View Post
When you listen to Eddie real closely after Amos asks him "Do you think I need to lose some weight?", smiles and leaves; it hits home.

Eddie: How could I get suckered like that?

You got to work hard.

That takes a real gift to show your a$$ like that.

Everything in a stack.
Everything-- just probably a little too much booze...
a little too cocky...
right amount of jerk...
to miss all those f@#$% signals.

I think Amos realized that Eddie was on the hustle and out-hustled him. That made it even worse for Eddie when he realized what had happened. By asking about his weight, Amos was rubbing it in.

Later, when Eddie forfeited his match with Vincent, it was a moment of redemption for his past sins and another teachable lesson for Vincent. It hit home for Eddie when his girlfriend told him she was a big fan of "character" in people. Took him back to when Burt forced him into retirement. Burt said he had talent but lacked character; but Eddie picked up character in a hotel room in Louisville.

"In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves." From Jennifer

Just remember all posts are, of course... In My Humble Opinion
Age= Been Playing since I was 17... 53 years ago
Cue = Pete Ohmen (Melbourne, FL) www.omencues.com
Hours of Play per week = 8+

Old
  (#33)
philly
AzB Silver Member
philly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond repute

03-20-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
Walter Tevis wouldn't even know, because the movie has an entirely different plot than the book. It's two different stories. Tevis wrote Color of Money as a sequel to the Hustler. It's about Eddie hooking up with Fats to do some ESPN matches. They become very good friends. Unlike the movie, there is no hot shot, upcoming star. I liked the movie, but the book is a much better story.
Spot on. I read both books last summer. Fats has a big presence in the Color of Money book and Vincent is non existent. Eddie learns from Fats how to play barbox pool to earn money. Fats basically retires on money he makes on barboxes.

Pool may not build character but it certainly will reveal it.

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis" Unencumbered By The Thought Process

How do you feel? Fast and loose, man.

Old
  (#34)
West Point 1987
On the Hill, Out of Gas
West Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond repute

03-20-2017, 10:05 AM

He was hustled by being beat by his own pride...he just couldn't play as well as he used to and couldn't accept it. Although not expressed the same way, it was in the COM book. The whole book is about Eddie's desire to get his speed back and compete at the top level, after having lost most of it since he quit "big time pool" per the Hustler's end, divorce, bankruptcy, etc. Redemption of his self worth, not some higher thing, but his own value to himself.

The movie was great, not as good as the book, but almost IMHO...it was a very cool story and a good vehicle for a sequel; doing the actual book in a movie might have been a tough box office sell.

Bill "Woodeye" Woods
What's in my (Instroke) Case?
Playing Cue: Gulyassy PHX, with SPT shaft
Jump/Break: McDermott Stinger NGO1

Other Cues Owned:
-R- 26 1/2 Tribute cue w/Gulyassy SPTX Shaft
Schon SL19/STL17 (retired, again )
Joss J15 (stolen)
Joss J11 (was a break cue for 15 years, now my son's player)
McDermott D-8 (sold, 1989)
McDermott D-23 (sold, 1991)
McDermott D-6 (sold, 1990)
GEM (Gary Medlin) Szambotti Tribute (retired)

Old
  (#35)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-20-2017, 01:25 PM

i know i am late to the party but here is the part of the scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBvyB2dTnlQ

Old
  (#36)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

03-20-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
i know i am late to the party but here is the part of the scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBvyB2dTnlQ
Yep....Hustled.

Old
  (#37)
Ched
"Hey ... I'm back"!
Ched has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond repute

03-20-2017, 05:06 PM

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (here) is that Eddie was a straight pool player in his past, while Amos was a 9-ball player. There is something to be said for changing games.

Best always,
Ched

cues: too many, most are pretty decent.

Old
  (#38)
SARDiver
JCC Chief
SARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond repute

03-20-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by book collector View Post
In my mind Eddie was a sucker.
He was a go off with booze, women and even at his best game, pool.
Even when he beat the guys in the bar , he wasn't satisfied with getting the money , he had to taunt them, until they broke his thumbs.
In my book, that is a sucker.
He just happened to play better than most.
How about a spoiler alert, huh pal?

Old
  (#39)
ghost ball
AzB Silver Member
ghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond repute

03-20-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinb386 View Post
Amos was a great actor / hustler. Great at making himself look like he was not a good pool player. Eddie was hustled, but even after he realized it, he kept wanting to play more (because he thought he was the better player). It was a really depressing scene (I always thought). That line that Amos says at the end of the scene was funny though. He says something like "Do you think I need to lose some weight?", and then walks away laughing (if I remember correctly). It has been a long time since I seen the movie.
Oh that's why TK 6 is on Eddie's Cadillac???

"People have to start realizing that if they are going to dick members around on AZ, it won't be forgotten about soon." from the blue hog rider

GLUE SAVES POOL

"When I shoot, my main concerns are if I made a good hit (including ball to rail) and the success of the shot (make or defense).
If you have played for a while, it is rare that you don't notice when it does not happen." from poolpro2

Old
  (#40)
book collector
AzB Silver Member
book collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond repute

03-21-2017, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDiver View Post
Sorry, I will spend an extra 20 minutes as I flagellate today.
Please let me know if that is not sufficient.

Old
  (#41)
M.G.
AzB Silver Member
M.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond repute

03-21-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
In my mind Eddie was a sucker.
He was a go off with booze, women and even at his best game, pool.
Even when he beat the guys in the bar , he wasn't satisfied with getting the money , he had to taunt them, until they broke his thumbs.
In my book, that is a sucker.
He just happened to play better than most.
Wow, that sums it up better than anything I could've written - and this is why actually both films are just plain bad.
It's just the same character and crap and degenerates all over again, it's actually very boring.
Also the "I'm the best" acting quickly gets old when it's done in ALL scenes or situations.
There is no struggle, no improvement, no learning, no actual consequences as a human being.

The best scene for me was Forest Whitaker's character in the pool hall, how and what he said. While very short the portrayal of this character was unbeliveable deep and moving. You might not agree, but you are sympathetic.

Quote:
Booooh.....
First, you are a grown man, you can watch a movie with joy even if you know the ending or general plot - because that's not what a movie is about.
Second, what did you think would be written here?

Cheers,
M

Old
  (#42)
SARDiver
JCC Chief
SARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond repute

03-21-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I will spend an extra 20 minutes as I flagellate today.
Please let me know if that is not sufficient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.G. View Post

Booooh.....
First, you are a grown man, you can watch a movie with joy even if you know the ending or general plot - because that's not what a movie is about.
Second, what did you think would be written here?

Cheers,
M
It was a joke, fellas.

I don't blame you for not getting it. The level of internet stupidity out there has made subtle humor tough to recognize. I should know better by now. I think it's called "Poe's Law of the Internet".

I once read a Lincoln assassination joke on a forum somewhere, and responded with, "Too soon, man! Too soon!"

The truly funny part was reading the follow-on responses from the Mensa candidates who insisted that I was, indeed, serious.

Old
  (#43)
pdcue
AzB Silver Member
pdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond repute

03-24-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
It was a joke, fellas.

I don't blame you for not getting it. The level of internet stupidity out there has made subtle humor tough to recognize. I should know better by now. I think it's called "Poe's Law of the Internet".

I once read a Lincoln assassination joke on a forum somewhere, and responded with, "Too soon, man! Too soon!"

The truly funny part was reading the follow-on responses from the Mensa candidates who insisted that I was, indeed, serious.
You are still wrong, and in the wrong... your post had zero subtlety and zero clue
it was in jest - only arrogance would lead to presuming we could read your mind,
or ever care to.

And YOU have the unmitigated gall to accuse others of stupidity...

FWIW - if you want the odds of your getting into Mensa before book collector, it's
25 to five on the book

Dale

Old
  (#44)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost ball View Post
Oh that's why TK 6 is on Eddie's Cadillac???
What is leading you to believe TK 6 meant something ???

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#45)
mvp
AzB Silver Member
mvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRJ View Post
What is leading you to believe TK 6 meant something ???
I read somewhere that TK were the real car owners initials.

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: